Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread 3/26 (Ivey and others)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So how was the episode overall for those that watched? Worth staying up to catch the re-run at 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez I dont know what to say. Maybe I`m expecting too much from this line up.
Phillllllllllllllll please explain that flush fold.
STUNNED!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

DW bet just over the pot size into 2 players I believe, and Ivey just thought there was no way a raise or a call was good for the situation. He basically put DW on a big hand AA-QQ. If he calls he's not getting the correct odds to draw or correct implied odds as he just doesn't think he's going to get paid off if he hits as his hand will not be disguised enough. Raising isn't such a bad play but he can't stand a re-raise all in and if DW has AA-QQ he will most likely 3 bet all in. I think many players don't appreciate how folding there is probably a better play than calling or raising. Plus stacks aren't deep enough for Ivey to make a big play.
Everyone happy?
Also, I thought Ivey played the QQ hand perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the summary to all of that is: Ivey thought there would be a better spot to get money from the donk (of this table).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its not.

The summary is that Ivey thought that calling (or raising) was a -EV play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imho, he could have thought it was a small EV play (either one), but like I said, wanted a better spot. If you think you're a much better player, then why play a pot for small EV when you can play a hand with big EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because its a cash game, that's why.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 PM

How about Negreanu's call of SBRugby's turn c/r on the last hand? What range does Negreanu have to put him on there for flat-calling to be the best move? The board was super-draw heavy and I think that Daniel would be pretty sure Aba's range was like . . .

1) Straight Draw
2) Two Diamonds with straight draw, or other combo draw
3) Two pair or set

He seemed to want to keep Aba in the lead to set up a big river bet or raise, but gambling pretty hard by just calling b/c a ton of river cards would make him squirm if Aba led again for a huge amount.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a ton of river cards would make him squirm if Aba led again for a huge amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

he would make a little speech about "how scary" it is that this always happens when he flops the nuts and then call another million.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 PM

Some thoughts on the episode:

J-Dag's eyes look scary. And yet another commentator that can't pronounce D'Agostino. I wonder if these guys refer to Al D'Amato as Al "Dee-omato"?

Townsend still looks mighty awkward playing live. And incredibly, he can cover 7/8ths of his face with one hand.

Is there any way David Williams doesn't lose his shirt in this lineup? I'm worried for him.

About Gabe Kaplan and his wacky hand analysis. I'm wondering if the problem is that maybe his background is in limit hold'em, and he's trying to use those concepts in NL. Stuff like having a heart attack over folding any kind of draw, betting "to see where you're at" (a Kaplan favorite) are more like stuff you'd expect to hear from a limit player. And I remember him making a final table in a WSOP limit hold'em event. He also has no understanding of implied odds, and brushes off any importance of stack size in NL cash games, when it is actually HUGELY important.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:54 PM

I think Daniel's line would've been perfect if he called the flop and then raised the turn, as I think a raise would've got Williams out of the hand. If Daniel read Williams correctly for a FD that means he has two less outs and makes it less effective, however. As it is though he could easily have a straight (I think the board made a straight for a one gapper?) or two pair and a raise makes Ivey lay down there on the turn a loooottt of the time.

I think the ideal line for Dan was raise >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>> fold >>>>>>>> call on the turn.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:09 AM

if its the hand Im thinking of, DN talks about it in this thread: (theres a coupld of replies about it)

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-fo...p;#entry1794963
Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Townsend still looks mighty awkward playing live. And incredibly, he can cover 7/8ths of his face with one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DN played that 64s hand so bad it hurts

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think a turn CR would have been a great play, esp with all those cards in DN's wheelhouse (middle connectors)

[/ QUOTE ]
Nonono. Think about the flop action and then think about what DN has to try to represent. Just because you have outs doesn't mean you have to semibluff. Ivey's obviously a great handreader and I don't think DN would be repping anything that beats QQ realistically. I think that hand was played pretty well by everyone involved.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 AM

just watched this episode for the first time. i thought this was the most enjoyable episode of the series so far except for maybe some farha episodes like the KK>AA big pot vs. barry. it's nice to actually see good players playing hands that we see everyday online instead of the garbage plays we see from farha, elezra, matusow etc. the previews of next week look like it could top this week's show...which would make for some great tv. (assuming you like(good) poker on tv)
Old 03-28-2007, 02:24 AM

I quite don't understand all the Gabe critique here. True, he has made some questionable analysis, but it seems that some idiots here forget two things: a) he's not a professional poker NL player, b)he has something like few seconds to make up with what he says (doesn't have that extra time to analyze the played hand like we do). While it could be possible for him to think about the hands in the editing phase, I really don't believe he does that (of course there might be some exceptions).

Gabe is an excellent announcer and HSP would be so much worse without him. Whether he speaks on top of some interesting table talk or not.