Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Learning to eat everything

ike,

organ meat - any nice restaurant that serves it is probably the best way to get started on various stuff.

steak - I think you are missing out on a lot of flavor. I personally really like NY strips and ribeyes. Try a porterhouse next time you're at a nice steak place for a mix of lean and well-marbled meat.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 AM

El D:

There is a place, which I sadly don't remember the name of, right on Hwy 1 on the south end of Stinson Beach (the town) that does extremely kickass barbecued oysters. I'm pretty sure I will never get into the NYC raw method, but barbecued are right up my alley. It's been a few years since I've been there, however.

House of Nanking in Chinatown has cured a few friends of anti-shrimp feelings, at least as long as they're at HoN. Although ordering from the menu there is very silly, so it may take more than once to get shrimp.

I wonder how good the Cajun food you've had can be if you dislike it categorically. Given how well you seem to eat in general, I'm surprised you haven't found something to like there. Do you dislike cayenne oherwise?

Those who dislike cottage cheese should try the European, salt-free kind (sometimes marketed as "farmer's cheese" in the US) before giving up completely. I make my own, and it's a million times better than the salty, whey-heavy standard American dairy version.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Great thread. I also don't eat like 90-95% of the stuff mentioned in this thread.

I do not like any kind of fish/shellfish. My mom used to make fried flounder when I was a kid, and the smell of it turned me off of all fish forever. I had one bit of shrimp once and did not like it, and have not tried shellfish since. Yes, I have never eaten lobster in my life. The only seafood I'll eat is the clams that are in Manhattan clam chowder.

Things I will still not eat/try:

Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, relish, horseradish, brussel sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, beets, pickles, sauerkraut, kielbasa, bratwurst, lamb, venison, salsa.

Things that I've only recently started eating/enjoying (I'm 32):

bleu cheese, ranch dressing, onions, raw tomato (with salt and pepper), celery, barbecue sauce, chili, green/red pepper, zucchini, sweet potatoes, antipasto, and red meat cooked less than medium.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:20 PM

this is a little off topic, but could anyone who likes french cuisine start a thread about it?

this article in the times makes it sound pretty awesome (link), but i'm affraid i wouldn't know where to start if i went to an authentic brasserie or bistro.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No wonder you think Republic is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol if you mean the place in Union Square this is always the first restaurant that pops into my head when I think "bad, somewhat overpriced Asian fusion" (and there are alot of these places, so that's saying something).

-Al
Old 04-30-2007, 03:01 PM

I like cheese.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:02 PM

Good thread.

I am always surprised to see people say that they don't like onions. I can understand if they are raw, but they are a base flavor component in soooo many dishes that I really can't imagine cooking without them.

As for shellfish, I have never really cared for mussels, but have just gotten into oysters. I tried them (Kumamoto) for the first time about 6 mos. ago @ Morimoto in Philly. Amazing. A very nice sweetness to them that wa ssurprising. I have tried two other varieties since then (Blue Point and Malpeque, I believe) but neither were as good as the Kumamoto - one of the two was quite briny.

I have never had a beet that I have enjoyed. They taste like dirt. Suggestions?
D