FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: slut?
yes 92 74.19%
no 32 25.81%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Pick your salary

[ QUOTE ]
The mokes would beat your ass out of there in the first two days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, but no.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:04 AM

For all you campers, good luck keeping that 9-5 job.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here's another problem with the exponentially doubling salary - after year 14 when you're making 10.24m, you're making so much money you won't want to retire. year 17- 82M. year 20 about 756m. year 23 about - 6.28 billion. You're going to keep saying, "well, I'd like to retire, but they're paying me 6 billion dollars!" At year 28 they're paying you 192 billion dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

even though I'm in the $200K camp, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have this thought process. If I ever made it to the billion mark, especially. I'd find it very difficult to not retire from a job I didn't love past the 8 figure mark.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For those saying it's easy to get by for the first year with option 2 you do realize you actually need to work...and get to work...and home...and have work attire and be showered and simple things like that right? And the ramen noodles...do you just chew them raw out of the pack or do we need a pot or bowl? Toilet paper optional? Deoderant a luxury? Just let the teeth fall out and buy gold ones ten years later? Most people spend $2500 per year on little miscellaneous items you wouldn't even think about when budgeting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd make a horrible homeless person. If you are worried about:
- A $1 pot from the $0.99 store. Supplies to start a fire to cook food are free if you have half a brain.
- Acquiring toilet paper...hmmm, where might I find free toilet paper? Oh yeah, everywhere!
- Deodorant...completely optional, but also cheap. Seriously, hit a $0.99 store sometime. They have everything you could need for hygiene for $0.99 each.
- Healthy teeth rotting and falling out in one year...it's much more gradual than that, plus once again, buy some cheap toothpaste if that's a big deal to you. Anyway, if anything happens, you'll be able to buy the best teeth money can buy in just a few years.

These should be the lowest of your concerns with being homeless. They are all easily solvable with little money. If you are homeless and you spend over $2500 on miscellaneous items, you are paying too much for those items.

To me, the biggest issues are getting over the startup costs (the sleeping bag, initial hygiene and cooking supply costs, and clothes) and getting proper nurishment everyday on your $6.84 per day budget. You may have to get by on about $2-3 of food a day for the first couple months. After that it should be slightly smoother sailing and better food.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:30 AM

The first option seems better to me. You would be living in relative comfort from day one. You would obviously wind up with more in the long run with the second option however the undue stress of the first few years would take its toll on your health and otherwise.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 AM

I love all of the people talking about owning the entire world... you would theoretically own the entire world...which would by extension make you responsible for the entire world which would by extension put you under a lot of stress and make you a lot of enemies... so um.... good luck with that.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 AM

I'm 39, have a wife and 2 little kids, so if I can't use my savings, mooch off of friends and relatives or take on new debt, I pretty much have to go with the $200k/yr.

If I were very young and single I'd probably go for the $2.5k and sleep under my desk at work. Four years of abject poverty. Sounds just like college. Maybe rent out someone's closet for $100 per month.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:55 AM

Thremp I just can't figure HOW DO YOU LIVE. Snort much? I mean I could retire with 1.4m right now and I'm 18.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For those saying stealing food: I'm assuming being arrested may very well cost you your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 AM

how many people that say living on 2.5k isn't hard live with thier parents and have never had to be responsible for living on thier own? my guess is a high percentage.