Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

No, I havnet, ill check it out though. Another one, is State of Grace, I really dont knwo if its obscure or not, but it is a good one. I think this weekend Ill do a write up on the mob/mafia, irl, and movie stuff. Another one, that I know probably isnt too obscure is Brotherhood of the Wolf ( Le Pacte des loups), but its worth a mention.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 AM

Nine Queens

I love movies about con men, and this is a great one with lots of twists and turns.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:16 AM

Does Strange Brew count?

Also, Tae Guk Gi is an awesome Korean War, foreign movie, you can pick it up at video stores as well.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 AM

i'd recommend "Baraka", by director Ron Fricke. in fact, anything by Fricke. this movie is pure cinematography, no plot, no characters, no dialogue. shot in 70mm all over the planet, it is easily one of the most beautiful films i've ever seen.

also, david cronenberg's "crash". i loved it, but others were walking out of the theater in disgust. no other movie i've seen has had this happen while i was there.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:15 AM

Russian Ark

directed by an avant-garde Russian director - whatever the [censored] that is - Aleksandr Sokurov

The film is shot in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg - it uses the hallways of the Petersburg as the backdrop in a story that explores 200+ years of Russian history in a fictional dialogue between a diplomat and a Russian visitor.

The film is uniquely shot, with one continuous shot for the entire picture - the entire set/stage had to be timed perfectly - with one shot leaving the director/producer lunging to the floor during filming. A lighting situation in the ballroom almost put the whole filming on hold.

It's an incredible film - if you have even a passing interest in history as I do, it's cool - gotta read subtitles though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

rb
Old 02-08-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Citizen X - I am going to engage it what seems like hyperbole. There are three great serial killer movies that have ever been made. M, Silence of the Lambs and Citizen X. This is a made for HBO movie that never entered theaters. Stars Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland. I was so entranced in this movie I actually started it again as soon as it was over. I love Stephen Rea, and he is perfect here.

The film is set in the Soviet Union as Communism is crumbling. It is based on a real case with Rea playing a police detective trying to capture a serial killer operating over several years and killing dozens of victims. Everything about this movie is fascinating, from the look at Soviet obstruction of the investigation, to the police work, to the killer himself. I am amazed that this was never shown in theaters. It really is a testament to the quality of HBO films.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best choice so far in the thread. A lot of the other picks are not obscure at all among film buffs, in fact a lot are even over-referenced and cliched... Citizen X is the type of film that hasn't ever really received much credit in any circles, is very accessible/easy to watch, and is just awesome.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 AM

The Sex Lives of the Potato men is a gooder, pretty recent UK film about a couple of dysfunctional potato delivery men. funny stuff.

A Boy and His Dog - Awesome movie with a really young Don Johnson and a dog that talks to him in his head and can sniff out women in a post-apocalyptic world.

edited because I'm a retard
Old 02-08-2007, 08:51 AM

Very Bad Things

Vegas, murder, hookers and blow, comedy.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-08-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ghost Dog- Forest Whitaker as an inner city Samurai hit man, up against the Public Enemy spouting mob. His best friend is a Haitian ice cream vendor and neither of them speaks the other's language. It works well.

[/ QUOTE ]

the mob guys crack me up in this movie. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My contributions:

Kolya
Central Station
Old 02-08-2007, 10:53 AM

The King of Hearts.
Set in France during WW2. A french village abandons town as the Germans march in. Leaving the gate to the Asylum unlocked. the inmates wander into town......
leaves you wondering who is insane. and amused.

and another vote for Harold and Maude