Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

edit: i meant ashton esg, not arturo fuente.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread *DELETED*

Post deleted by Aces McGee
Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: i meant ashton esg, not arturo fuente.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean VSG, not ESG, right?

These are excellent cigars.

The Edge is another favorite of mine, and the price is great for the quality.

I've smoked a couple of Avo Blacks in recent weeks and have been delightfully surprised at how spicy they are. Left my tongue a bit numb by the end.

-McGee
Old 09-28-2007, 02:29 PM

JR Cigars offers JR Alternatives which are supposed to be brand named cigars but without the brand at low low prices.

This is how they describe them:

"JR ALTERNATIVE CIGARS
Handmade DR/NIC/HON
Wrapper: VARIED Binder: VARIED Filler: VARIED
Medium Bodied

Why would anyone in the world buy some crappy seconds when, for a lot less money, they could buy J•R Alternatives instead? All of these cigars are long-filler, handmade firsts rolled at the best factories - sans the fancy boxes and bands. We have them made in humungous quantities and pass along the savings to smokers. For over a quarter of a century, these have been the very best value in the whole cigar world! "

Has anyone tried these?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JR Cigars offers JR Alternatives which are supposed to be brand named cigars but without the brand at low low prices.

This is how they describe them:

"JR ALTERNATIVE CIGARS
Handmade DR/NIC/HON
Wrapper: VARIED Binder: VARIED Filler: VARIED
Medium Bodied

Why would anyone in the world buy some crappy seconds when, for a lot less money, they could buy J•R Alternatives instead? All of these cigars are long-filler, handmade firsts rolled at the best factories - sans the fancy boxes and bands. We have them made in humungous quantities and pass along the savings to smokers. For over a quarter of a century, these have been the very best value in the whole cigar world! "

Has anyone tried these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried a few and thought they were decent for the price. I never did a completely blind test which IMO is the only way to get rid of selection bias (although in my case my prejudice would tend to be FOR the less expensive alternative [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Did compare some JR Alternatives versus the real thing from a JR 5-pack (the 5-packs are a great way to try out cigars without breaking the bank); at the time I thought the real thing was a bit better.

In a blind test against the cigar they are supposed to imitate I'd guess people would favor the real thing by about a 2-1 margin. A cigar smoke out would be fun to try but I don't think anyone would want to host it.

~ Rick

PS Continue to have good luck with Don Diego cigars ordered from JR. In a previous post I mentioned they compare favorably with the Macanudo brand yet are quite a bit cheaper.

Next order may repeat my Don Diego order along with a 5-pack of a similar Macanudo and a similar JR Alternative (just noticed there are JR Alternatives for Don Diego and Macanudo; what to do, what to do [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

~ Rick
Old 09-28-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks, I just ordered 20 "cohibas" at a cost of $28 + shipping. of course I'm such a noob I won't be able to give a good trip report on how they compare. But I'll at least report on if I enjoyed them.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Does anyone smoke mini cigars? I was recently given a tin of Cohiba Pequenos (little bit bigger than the minis), and really enjoyed them. Seemed pretty comparable to a full-size, honestly, in terms of taste. At 4 x 34, they last about 20-30 minutes, which I really liked because, unless I'm golfing, I don't have the time to sit and smoke for much longer than that.

Anyway, are there any other small cigars that people enjoy?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone smoke mini cigars? I was recently given a tin of Cohiba Pequenos (little bit bigger than the minis), and really enjoyed them. Seemed pretty comparable to a full-size, honestly, in terms of taste. At 4 x 34, they last about 20-30 minutes, which I really liked because, unless I'm golfing, I don't have the time to sit and smoke for much longer than that.

Anyway, are there any other small cigars that people enjoy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Don Diego Elite No. 5. It's slightly bigger at 4.5" by 38 ring but Don Diego is a smooth smoke at a decent price.

You can also search the JR site by length and ring gauge. The Macanudo ten pack tins are the only super minis I've tried though.

~ Rick
Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM

Ok here is my situation:
I am in college so money is tight so i dont wanna spend a load of money on cigars. As of right now I dont have a humidor and I dont really smoke that much. I have probably smoked 5 cigars since school started.
Basically I am looking for some cigar recommendations that would be relatively cheap (around $1-3 per stick). Also if anyone has any recommendations for cheap humidors. I have a cigar shop near my but I havent yet gone there
Thanks for any advice
Old 10-16-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok here is my situation:
I am in college so money is tight so i dont wanna spend a load of money on cigars. As of right now I dont have a humidor and I dont really smoke that much. I have probably smoked 5 cigars since school started.
Basically I am looking for some cigar recommendations that would be relatively cheap (around $1-3 per stick). Also if anyone has any recommendations for cheap humidors. I have a cigar shop near my but I havent yet gone there
Thanks for any advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first off I wouldn't buy from the shop, you'd just be throwing money away. In terms of cigar, I recommend the Arturo Fuente curly head, or curly head deluxe. I like both. Both are under $2 a stick if you buy a box from jrcigars.com. You're not going to find equal quality for less than that.