Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Trip report/ask me about time in maximum (and minimum) security pr

[ QUOTE ]
-Did you mention what you do now (poker, gambling) to the 'review board' ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't been in front of them for about 4 years, so no. At the time, I was a masters student on my way into PhD programs. It looked impressive on paper. I was hoping that the conviction would disappear while in the PhD program, because job prospects afterwards are minimal even with a PhD. Along the way, I became involved with poker and just went with that as my PhD seemed to be a waste of lots of time and effort.

[ QUOTE ]

-Are you still interested in accounting (possibly plan to get back into it at some point) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

possibly....I've thought about it after the poker boom dries up some more. I'm still winning, so other things are still in the background.

[ QUOTE ]

-What limits/games do you currently play?

[/ QUOTE ]

When playing poker, I mainly focus on 200NL these days. But, I've played numerous games for numerous limits. I ended up in no-limit holdem, because it is where the fish live. I actually enjoy limit holdem more, but my skills only got me to marginally beating 3/6 short-handed and 5/10 full online. I do play anything from 10/20 to 20/40 live limit and consistently pwn that game.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:24 PM

What did California look like? Tats? Age? Was he huge?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great report, thanks for sharing.

how soon after you were released did you return to school?

[/ QUOTE ]

about 7 months to a university. I let a semester pass to make sure I was ready. While on house arrest, I did glorified high school, ie junior college. It helped me pick up some gen ed credits and get used to a more normal environment. The biggest issue was I sure wanted to sex some of those JC girls, but it is tough to be a 'mack' with an ankle bracelet and very little time allowed outside the house. I made a few though.

[ QUOTE ]

did you keep in touch with any college friends while you were in prison?

[/ QUOTE ]
I tried to, but it was really on them. I'd send a letter or two, but didn't want to bombard them unless they wrote back to me. It's a mental toll to read some of the stuff going on if you know it's a friend who is experiencing it. It would be best to let them decide how much involvement they wanted.

[ QUOTE ]

did you tell new people you met, what happened to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
some people know already through grapevine, etc. In general, I avoid telling new people. Like it or not, there are unflattering stereotypes. I know their impression of me will be tainted. The hardest part is deciding when to tell the female in a relationship with me about it all. On paper, I must be quite the catch.... professional gambler, convicted felon....sure, come meet my mom and dad.

[ QUOTE ]

what was it like returning to college after ths ordeal?

i would imagine it would suck having to listen to a bunch of whiney college kids bitch about stupid [censored], like oh i can't go to spring break, or i have so much work to do, kinda crap. how did you deal with these idiots? (and by idiots i mean someone like me when i was in college)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was so awesome to return to college. For one, it meant I could put that stage behind me and feel 'normal' again. I could also feel that I was moving forward and was strong enough to survive and thrive from the whole ordeal. It was such a boost to my spirits. Also, I didn't mind the college whining too much (although those kids on the Real World MTV pissed me off), because college students are generally more hopeful/optimistic about their futures than the regular population. Having been in one of the most pessimistic places in the country, the youthful, somewhat naive optimism was very refreshing and a lift to my spirits.

Oh yeah, the ability to bang young, attractive, and smart chicks was fabulous. I had a regained sense of confidence and was not afraid to approach women. Obviously, that is pretty attractive on the college bar scene. I never had such good luck with the women as then. It was fantastic.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where would you be if you had not been caught with the drugs right now? Did you have your "habit" under control?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would likely be teaching high school students in the Chicagoland area. My habit was under control and did not affect the progress I was making at all. I was a junior in history/secondary ed when finally convicted. History is a tough gig to get a job, so I was taking lots of math/stat classes to be certified to teach that as well. I would probably be married and a respected member of my community.

[ QUOTE ]
Could you take "California" in a fight if you were not worried about what happens to you afterwards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. His punches weren't that strong. He was 5'8" and about 230. He was out of shape. I was 5'7" and 190 in very good shape. However, he was a psychopath capable of taking it to the next level. He killed an assitant warden with his bare hands in the early 80s in the New Mexico prison system. I'm not even sure if I was capable of taking a fight to that level. So, I'd have to say despite my strength advantage, I probably wouldn't have liked the result.

[ QUOTE ]

Could you get a cellie transfer if your's was a huge d1ck. And if so does that get frowned upon by the prisoners/guards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, transfers were possible, but they were a huge pain in the ass.

inmate search---I did time with Zachariah Avant in Joliet
Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How big of a guy was "California"?

What was the craziest thing you saw while in there?

How easy was it to score drugs in the slammer? Alcohol?

This is easily the most interesting thread I have ever read. I have told countless people at work about it and even printed it up and have people spreading it around work. They keep asking me for updates.

This is something I consider my worst nightmare. I have a great life and lots of friends and a close-knit family and I could not imagine leaving it all behind to go to prison.

Sincerely...Thank You for posting!

[/ QUOTE ]

he wasn't that big. His power came from other means.

craziest thing I saw...you would think I would have a good answer for this, but I don't.
I remember they had some international terriorist/IRA guy at Joliet for awhile. He had about 7 guards around him anytime he moved....that was interesting.
I also remember the lengths people would go through to use drugs or cook fold. Prisoners would use cardboard milk jugs and take apart their walkman. They would shape a wire and put it into the outlet and get enough current to boil water to cook rament. It was pretty insane.

some drugs were around. They were more trouble than their worth to get.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post, very insightful.

I think it sucks that you're unwilling to do drugs now simply because of your experience. It's obviously a smart move on your end for a variety of reasons, but just shows what a stupid justice system we have, where people who are committing crimes that have a significantly greater socioeconomic impact are getting sentences equal to or less than yours.

Also, I can understand how your opinion of capital punishment can change after having spent time in the system, having seen people face to face that most people would never encounter in a lifetime.

What percent of inmates in there for violent crimes would you estimate have some sort of mental/personality disorder? I don't think this is an issue people have adressed enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say at least half of the violent criminals had a mental or personality disorder. Hell, most were doped up on Thorazine and such all day to make them docile and protect the guards. Nearly all come from poor family backgrounds.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MT2R,

I meant to ask you last night: how long do you think Aceshigh7 would last in prison before he got shivved?

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
lol...who knows

people tend to become less confrontational in that environment. I certainly did. Conflict avoidance is key.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MT2R,
great thread.
all it needed was lesbians.
(or pics of ex-gf) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
or pics of 'California' [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

no pics of the ex-gf, I put her through enough at a young age already

cannot put pics of California in....I believe it's against IDOC rules to use their inmate pictures for that reason.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Trip report/ask me about time in maximum (and minimum) security prison

[ QUOTE ]
nice post.

Just one question... Isn't GHB a Schedule III drug, ala ketamine, etc.? How did you get convicted of PCS for a sched I? Is the law different in Illinois than the rest of the country?

[/ QUOTE ]

state by state basis....definitely schedule I in Illinois. It's in the worst grouping.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP rulz.

Glad you came out of that stronger bro. Ship that holla!

[/ QUOTE ]

ty Pete [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]