Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever not reported your online poker winnings on a 1040?
Yes 38 69.09%
No 17 30.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Who is a better hitter? (Poll)

[ QUOTE ]
Neuge,

Stop trying to stand up for your silly original statement and just admit you meant "more valuable" not "more difficult" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That wasn't my statement though. I was just standing up for vhawk because I knew what he meant. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2007, 02:51 AM

Ooops.

But anyways, LOL Motorholdem.

I don't really have a problem with Schwartzy as he was trying to understand things, and wasn't being retarded.

Re: Schwartzy thing:

The thing is, not striking out is VERY VALUABLE, it's just that it doesn't mean a strikeout is worse than a groundout or any other out.

If you could take every persons strikeouts, and turn it into a ball put into play, he would be insanely more valuable, but that's just not how it works. (I am probably not explaining this all too well)

Adam Dunn achieves his offensive value by being very selective at the pitches he swings at, and swinging really really [censored] hard at them. This results in lots of walks homers AND strikeouts. If he changed his approach so that he would strikeout less, he would lose his value as a hitter.

Conversely, Ichiro achieves his value by being very fast and being very good at making contact with the ball/not striking out.

Not striking out is a skill that influences a players offensive value.
This DOES NOT mean that a guy with .400 OBP .400 SLG 200 K's is worse than a .400 OBP .400 SLG 60 K's guy.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:11 AM

To explain it better:

If Adam Dunn were to change his style so he would strike out less, he might no longer hit the ball as hard which could lower his value.

Fun fact: Adam Dunn's line when he doesn't strike out? .386/.522/.810. He is essentially Barry Bonds in 2001 (.328/.515/.863).
Old 09-25-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's just that it doesn't mean a strikeout is worse than a groundout or any other out.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not entirely true. It obviously depends on the base/out state and depending on your position in the lineup, you see a slightly different proportion of the base/out states. For example, the 2nd-hole hitter sees slightly more man on 1st, no out situations than other slots in the lineup. Consequently strikeouts for the two-hole hitter are marginally less detrimental than any other hitting spot.

The problem is that optimally ordering your batting lineup will only amount to maybe 10-15 runs over the course of the entire season (lol @ that amount) vs. a completely random batting order. i.e. It matters a bit if you're a manager, but straight comparisons between individual players produce near nil results.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To explain it better:

If Adam Dunn were to change his style so he would strike out less, he might no longer hit the ball as hard which could lower his value.

Fun fact: Adam Dunn's line when he doesn't strike out? .386/.522/.810. He is essentially Barry Bonds in 2001 (.328/.515/.863).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, pretty much. The biggest detriment to Dunn's hitting, which hasn't been brought up in this thread, are his R/L splits. Vs righties, he's a hall-of-famer (almost an 1100 OPS), but vs lefties he's mediocre at best (slightly better than a 700 OPS).
Old 09-25-2007, 03:30 AM

Wow this thread is retarded.

I don't see why everyone was jumping on moterholdem when the question was worded in a way that you could pick either guy and not be "wrong".
Old 09-25-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see why everyone was jumping on moterholdem when the question was worded in a way that you could pick either guy and not be "wrong".

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is why everyone thinks you're an idiot, too.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is why everyone thinks you're an idiot, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well poll results show people tend to agree with motorholdem, so whatever.

I know this thread was only created so you could be like, "haha, look at all these baseball nubs using simple stats like batting average and # of hits to determine who is the better hitter. Such idiots."

Congrats, you know more about baseball then the average person/fan. Maybe next time word the question in a way that doesn't allow for both sides to be right depending on how it's interpreted.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider most people to be idiots, so the poll results are not surprising (as I confirmed in this thread).
Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider most people to be idiots, so the poll results are not surprising (as I confirmed in this thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I know this thread was only created so you could be like, "haha, look at all these baseball nubs using simple stats like batting average and # of hits to determine who is the better hitter. Such idiots."

[/ QUOTE ]