Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Which one video game are you best at?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly would play anyone in the world for any amount of money that I could afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assani - there are online leagues filled with some nasty nasty players. I would join one if you really want to find out if you're the best.

check out http://www.famssu.com/tecmo/

(if you've only played a limited circle of friends, it's highly doubtful you're the best in the world...just like w/ other activities, you need to play against elite people to develop into an elite player yourself)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have looked into leagues before, but none of them use the rules I like. Most of them allow for changing playbooks and just play a season with one team. I like my setup a lot more because it shows who the most well rounded player is instead of who can master 8 plays the best playing with his favorite team.

That and I also don't know computers very well and I have no clue about playing on emulators or over the internet. I'd want live competition.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is Tecmo Super Bowl?

[/ QUOTE ]Video game for NIntendo that came out in the early 90s. First video game to ever use real player names and be able to save a game in the middle of a season and to keep track of your stats for you...quite revolutionary, although we take it all for granted nowadays.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 PM

Well, naturally - the flaw is in the computer goalie, not the manual goalie. I just can't believe people would consider banning this move - it's easy to stop.

Is it that easy to catch the goalie out of the net? I never tried dekeing from the slot and letting go with a slapshot - the goalie does some funky [censored] in 94 (most of these bugs were fixed in NHL95, which is what I played first). I still have some trouble scoring on breakaways at this game so I suspect I'm not even close to as good as I think I am.

Online leagues? That sounds beyond awesome.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here is a different one:

Theatre of Magic pinball. I was the "Master Magician" on my college's machine. I had crowds around me a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also preferred the arcade pinball machines. I've played The Adams Family game for several hours on a single quarter, likewise with the Hook machine, and the original Star Trek one. I'm pretty good at the Space Cadet pinball game that comes with Windows, I think I've gotten around 60 million points on that one.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to a guy who has never gotten that good at pinball:

How do you play so long on one quarter? Isn't it just random luck if the ball bounces down the sides or if it comes straight down the middle where you can't stop it?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:17 PM

I was very good at Crash Bandicoot 3. My name appears for 3 or 4 of the Time Trial developer times from when you beat the game. Of course I got paid to play it so I should be good at it I guess. I was also very good at the game Blasto!, but I tested that too.

C-Dog
Old 07-21-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly would play anyone in the world for any amount of money that I could afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assani - there are online leagues filled with some nasty nasty players. I would join one if you really want to find out if you're the best.

check out http://www.famssu.com/tecmo/

(if you've only played a limited circle of friends, it's highly doubtful you're the best in the world...just like w/ other activities, you need to play against elite people to develop into an elite player yourself)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have looked into leagues before, but none of them use the rules I like. Most of them allow for changing playbooks and just play a season with one team. I like my setup a lot more because it shows who the most well rounded player is instead of who can master 8 plays the best playing with his favorite team.

That and I also don't know computers very well and I have no clue about playing on emulators or over the internet. I'd want live competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

anybody who plays in those league will play you in "friendlies" where the rules can be anything you want - standard playbooks, random teams, whatever.

I didn't know anything about emulators either before I started - it's actually pretty easy. Playing online is 99% as good as playing live - there are occasional disconnects and slowdowns, but a "stop and start" game like TSB is nearly perfect online.

if you really want to find out how good you are, this is what you need to do. probably 60% of the guys in these leagues were the "best player they knew" before they started playing online.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am probably among the top .01% of Tetris players worldwide. My favorite version is Tetris DX for the Gameboy Color. I've broke 1 million points 5-6 times, 1.4 mil (over 300 lines) being my all-time high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your high score on the original NES version. As I said, I can get to 200-210, but never to level 21(over 210). IF you can get over that, please explain to me how the hell its possible.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played a ton of NHL94 and I don't quite understand what you're talking about. The game's 'move' was using backhands and outskating the goalie to the farside of the net. This 'move' doesn't sound anything different than taking a slapshot in the slot.

The Sabres were sick in that game - same with the Nordiques.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come straight in at on of the posts, then turn away from him towards the closest boards and circle around the faceoff circle, the goalie will hug the post, but as you get back up towards the blue line the goalie will start to inch back towards the center to cut, as you come back in on a slight straight away he wont always cover the post again. Its easier done than said FWIW with practice.

"the move" was to simply skate across the goal crease until the goalie fell and put it in.

and yes the Sabres were great in that game

Mogilny 96
LaFontaine 91
Hawerchuk 74

Svoboda 65
Smehlik 60

Fuhr 85

If i remember I used to put Hawechuck in at center and Lafontaine on the wing, and Smehlik replaced Bodger as the starter.

LOL at Hasek as a 53 and riding the pine.

Link to all team profiles
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 PM

FPPS ftw CS etc etc WOW aswell [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2006, 03:42 PM

Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory
Mario Kart 64 Battle mode