Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Current Skill You Are Developing

Patrick,

I tried sending you a PM, but your box was full this is what I tried sending you

I think you should make a chess thread. It seems to have garneded enough interest but I don't have thread making abilities in his forum. You may even get curtains to post in the thread.

I am not sure if you visit the STTF, however curtains is doing a well post there. He is an international master and has discussed chess as well as the poker.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Patrick,

I tried sending you a PM, but your box was full this is what I tried sending you

I think you should make a chess thread. It seems to have garneded enough interest but I don't have thread making abilities in his forum. You may even get curtains to post in the thread.

I am not sure if you visit the STTF, however curtains is doing a well post there. He is an international master and has discussed chess as well as the poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

We should definitely have a separate chess thread.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i bought a $150 rosette stone software for chinese and thought it was absolutely useless

[/ QUOTE ]

Too easy? Too hard? Just didn't think it was teaching you anything at all? More detail would be appreciated - I have also looked at this stuff for languages. Do you think an audio series would have been more useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

the set up was bad. it seemed very limited in how it worked, in fact now that i think about it i must not have known how to use the program becuase all i got was a picture and 4 different words and i had to multiple choice over and over and over again to learn and that's all it had. yup i must hvae missed something. i was pretty pissed at the $150 software

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bruiser,

I'm here in Thailand, and I decided to pick up their software and give it a shot at helping me with Thai. My opinion is that it can be useful as a reinforcer, etc. But, if you were using it as a starting point, it would be very frustrating.

So.. ya, my skill I'm trying to learn is Thai.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My fiance and I are learning American Sign Language. It's pretty fun; we use it mostly for mocking people in restaurants without them knowing

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful. The eavesdrop zone for ASL is very large. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2007, 05:37 PM

@Bruiser

You were able to run right up a vertical brick wall in a dream I had the other night. Figured I'd let you know. I think it was you, but it could have been some random dude I went to high school with that looked like you.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 PM

I've been watching alot of basketball on tv lately and betting on it as well, so I decided I'd start playing again. To my surprise I was able to dunk pretty easily (something I was not previously able to do, although I have been working out as of late). I need to work on my shooting and dribbling and hopefully get into some kind of recreational or even competitive league.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Old 03-10-2007, 10:17 PM

I just got The Rosetta Store Thai level 1 and I think it has been VERY good in just the few days I have been using it. THe first day I just did one type of exercise and I was like 'wtf is this supposed to teach me'.

Then I went back and found the Guided Exercises and it is MUCH better.

It first tells you what 4 things are, then has you learn it in several different ways and drives it in over the next hour of the lesson.

I find it very effective so far.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been really getting into learning some magic tricks lately and I'm loving it. Not the corny, crap kind of tricks but some really good ones.

Also been trying to learn how to juggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

kit,

what kind of magic have you been working on? I've just started on doing some card and coin tricks; I can transform cards now and do some other card sleights, but the coins are going to take a lot of work. Are you just reading books, or are you checking out some websites too?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been really getting into learning some magic tricks lately and I'm loving it. Not the corny, crap kind of tricks but some really good ones.

Also been trying to learn how to juggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

kit,

what kind of magic have you been working on? I've just started on doing some card and coin tricks; I can transform cards now and do some other card sleights, but the coins are going to take a lot of work. Are you just reading books, or are you checking out some websites too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely like card tricks the most. Coin tricks are cool as well but I don't find them as fun (though I know maybe 3 coin tricks so my opinion might change when I learn more and better ones).

I recommended some books in here and turnipmonster also had some thoughts there.

I haven't looked at magic websites too much (forums I mean) but I do buy stuff from a few sites, most notably Ellusionist. Especially when I first started I went all gung-ho and bought a bunch of tricks and gimmicks and crap that months later I still haven't used once. There are definitely a few gems in there (Stigmata for example) but a lot of the stuff there is overhyped and overpriced.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, are considering buying something from there feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you my thoughts on it.