View Poll Results: bluffblank
Exactly what I expected 2 11.11%
Pretty much what I expected 7 38.89%
Kinda what I expected 6 33.33%
Not really what I expected 3 16.67%
Definitely not what I expected 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: What\'s with the no kids guilt trip?

I really don't agree about the emotion thing.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't agree about the emotion thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of chillingly, small changes in hormones and chemical balances can induce tremendous personality changes. It feels drastically better to think that we wouldn't be affected by that, but hypoglycemics, women on their periods, and people with ADD pretty regularly have no idea they're being a-holes. Once the reasoning facility itself is affected, you can't really judge or control very easily anymore. And chemicals and hormones can do that.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is they're right in a twisted way. Having children, on average, causes a significant increase on scores for Right Wing Authoritarianism (RWA) (and before I get flamed, RWA has nothing to do with right vs left politically.) High scores for RWA are associated with ,gullibility, conventionality (in the sense of thinking everyone ought to be the same), prejudice, hostility towards out-groups, inability to reason logically, dogmatism, self-righteousness, unconditional trust of authority and various other unpleasant characteristics.

So having kids really does change you, just not necessarily for the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains very well how I've felt about the issue. As a side note, I've found that my male friends who are already talking about having kids in the not to distant future(mid twenties currently), are the most gullible, least bright people i know, although nice guys for sure. I have a friend who for as long as I've known him has never even been able to take care of himself, always mooching off of other friends like myself. He tells me the other week about how he can't wait to get married to his gf and have babies! and how since him and his gf are both tall and athletic... the kids are going to be really good at sports and make like millions of dollars! lol. I'm sitting there trying not to laugh thinking you've been couch crashing for the last month and you're thinking about marriage and kids.

That is what's wrong with this world, isn't it very difficult to adopt a child in this country? I mean you have to go threw all sorts of little tests and interviews to prove that you're capable both mentally and financially of having a child, and i think this is a good thing, i mean having a child is a big deal. However, it's kind of ironic that any idiot can have a child the old fashion way, no questions asked. After the baby's born and in good health they'll hand it to you and say "good luck".
Old 09-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Yup. That strikes me as what's phoney about many of the "pro-life" people too. God loves you when you're inside, but once you pop out, go to hell. There's all this support in our culture to have a baby at pretty much any cost to your future and no matter how bad a parent you might be, but once you have it, hey, I don't come to you with MY problems, do I?

I've also sometimes called people on their bull when they say being parents makes them automatically more caring and mature than people who aren't by reminding them that any idiot can be too lazy, drunk, or stupid to take a trip to the drugstore to buy a rubber.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still believe that having kids is selfish and egotistical.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha.. well yeah, it is, but in a good way. Once I have kids, if some douche says to me, "how could you be so selfish?!?" I might just get in my first post-adolescent fight. ugh.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:17 AM

If you don't want children then you must have been an unhappy child. That's why you don't want to live with children. You should see a psychologist and find out what's wrong with you.

I still don't get why anyone would tie themselves down and get married if they aren't going to have kids.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The past few months I've seen him do some amazing things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt anything he can do qualifies as amazing
Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 PM

heheh. This post is so much more sensible than the one before it.