Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Who is the third best quarterback in the NFL?

Ya he did well and he's a good QB, but he doesn't belong in this discussion, even tho some of his numbers would indicate he does... my reasoning is that his stats are slightly skewed
Old 11-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Palmer. Kids been a beast and workhorse since his senior year.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya he did well and he's a good QB, but he doesn't belong in this discussion, even tho some of his numbers would indicate he does... my reasoning is that his stats are slightly skewed

[/ QUOTE ]

He "doesn't belong in the discussion?" Don't you think that's kind of ... harsh?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like Tony Romo. T.O. has 22 drops in the last two years. How would Romo's stats look if T.O. caught those passes.

[/ QUOTE ]

even with the drops TO is still a strong WR

[/ QUOTE ]

TO is just by far the most prolific dropper of passes to ever play. If you sub him with a equally strong #1 you'd see a decent rise in completion percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, but probably not that big of improvement in team quality

and well there aren't a lot of equally strong #1s floating around
Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He "doesn't belong in the discussion?" Don't you think that's kind of ... harsh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Palmer is ALOT better than him... so he doesn't belong in the discussion

I think brees is really good, and a good fit for the saints... but Palmer is undebatabley better

If the 3rd best qb is undebatabely better than brees, then why would brees be in the discussion
Old 11-10-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like Tony Romo. T.O. has 22 drops in the last two years. How would Romo's stats look if T.O. caught those passes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TO is just by far the most prolific dropper of passes to ever play. If you sub him with a equally strong #1 you'd see a decent rise in completion percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think there would be an equal rise in TDs and yards per catch? I don't think there is a receiver out there who is as good as TO in every category and makes all those catches.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think there would be an equal rise in TDs and yards per catch? I don't think there is a receiver out there who is as good as TO in every category and makes all those catches.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. i suppose you'd rather have eric parker who rarely drops a pass he gets his hands on-- oh wait, he can't really get open.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Bingo,

Obv not otherwise they'd be far better than TO.

I was trying to point out that he depresses his QBs completion percentage a significant amount by being the #1 WR instead of another. TDs/YPC/etc I have not considered.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I can't believe Vick is even in this discussion. He may be the most overrated QB in history and rivals Ryan Leaf as one of the biggest NFL draft busts of all-time. Remember, Vick was supposed to create a dynasty in Atlanta, win multiple Super Bowls, was supposed to be a total lock for the Hall of Fame and also one of the greatest QBs of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that Vick isn't top 3 potential (or top 7 potential), the "bringing a dinasty to Atlanta" thing is exaggeration. Every QB picked in the first round seems to have that label on them. Joey Harrington was called thatfor the Detroit Lions, Matt Leinart for the Cardinals, and the list goes on and on.
Saying Vick is the most overrated player ever is a big exaggeration.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't first round. This was first pick overall. Big-time difference between the two. A quarterback is not paid $13M/yr (plus $39M in bonus) for being a .500 quarterback. He is paid because he is expected to lead his team to the Super Bowl.

He is a bust because he never fulfilled the expectations that were set for him. Vick was a fresh QB. A lot of running QBs before him had middling or below average passing skills by NFL standards. Vick was supposed to be an exception. He was supposed to the total package that would revolutionize the QB position and change the way defenses look at QBs forever (like what LT did for offensive blocking schemes).

Vick wasn't even a top 10 QB among active QBs when he was playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's list number one picks then:

JaMarcus Russell (2007) (we don't know yet)

Alex Smith (2005) (clearly not great)

Eli Manning (2004) (Good but certainly not great)

David Carr (2002) (bad o-line, but not looking goot at CAR either)

Tim Couch (1999) (not the Browns savior as advertised)

Jeff George (1990)

And your Ryan Leaf example then doesn't make sense, since he wasn't a number one pick. I don't understand how you can mention Leaf, but when I mention Harrington, Leinart my examples don't count.

Note:
There have been amazing 1st picks as QBs:
Peyton (1998)
Palmer (2003)
Bledsoe (1993) (he was very good for the first five years)
Aikman (1989)
Elway (1983)
Old 11-10-2007, 02:54 PM

i agree that palmer > brees, but palmer isn't "undebateably better." he is definitely more talented, but he has not been been good enough for you to say that he is undeniably better-- wins have to count for something at some point.