Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: top 50 players in NBA history

here's an idea. Pistons win, you make me wear any shirt you want. Photo evidence required. Suns win, you wear:

Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 PM

I've made bets with Al and tuq in the past. We can put the money in escrow if you like. I'm sure people here would be willing to act as escrow.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here's an idea. Pistons win, you make me wear any shirt you want. Photo evidence required. Suns win, you wear:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Piston fan. Everything related to the team, from the actual team down to the fans, has a huge chip on our collective shoulders.

And why is Shawn Marion wearing a jersey with the word "f a g"? Is this confirmed, or is this only in your dreams? I like the dude regardless... he's dope.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:36 PM

lol that's not Marion. It's Sheed and you know it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"Hornacek
Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Comerica Park"

How is that not random to me ? I don't know this guy. Because he's found the time to post a lot on the internet makes him not random to me ?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:29 AM

How much do championships really matter to you guys? If two players had equal stats, but one won a championship, how much higher would you rank the second guy? Why? Clearly your team matters more than anything else in this category.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sheed played better D and wasn't afraid to have the ball with the game on the line and actually had the intention of shooting instead of calling a timeout he didn't have

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't ever resist this kind of shot at Webber.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do championships really matter to you guys? If two players had equal stats, but one won a championship, how much higher would you rank the second guy? Why? Clearly your team matters more than anything else in this category.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? For offensive stats, being the primary option on a mediocore team and putting up what is tantamount to inflated stats (vs. someone who is equally talented, or better, and just gets less shots because his teammates are better) makes a large difference wrt understanding a player's greatness.

If it's closer (meaning both players were both on very good teams, one happened to win a championship, the other didn't)... well, that's largely contextual but I'd say carrying a team to a championship (Duncan) vs. choking in the 1st round (Dirk) is something to consider also.

-Al
Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sheed played better D and wasn't afraid to have the ball with the game on the line and actually had the intention of shooting instead of calling a timeout he didn't have

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but Sheed also made a famous mental mistake that may have cost his team a championship, when he left some guy named Horry (who I think had hit a few big shots in that game and others) wide open for a game-winning 3. Way more unforgivable than Webber's blunder IMO.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but Sheed also made a famous mental mistake that may have cost his team a championship, when he left some guy named Horry (who I think had hit a few big shots in that game and others) wide open for a game-winning 3. Way more unforgivable than Webber's blunder IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention being kicked out of more games then I can count.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? For offensive stats, being the primary option on a mediocore team and putting up what is tantamount to inflated stats (vs. someone who is equally talented, or better, and just gets less shots because his teammates are better) makes a large difference wrt understanding a player's greatness.

If it's closer (meaning both players were both on very good teams, one happened to win a championship, the other didn't)... well, that's largely contextual but I'd say carrying a team to a championship (Duncan) vs. choking in the 1st round (Dirk) is something to consider also.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I mean more about a guy who's team is always a contender, but just never made it. I had John Stockton in mind when I made my post. I feel like he made so many clutch plays and was killing himself out there, but he just never made it. I think it sucks that people count that against him.

Obviously putting up gawdy numbers on an awful team doesn't mean too much. It's impressive, but it's a lot easier to score 25 if you're the only guy on your team who shoots.