Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: SmileyEH\'s Log

Didn't do anything tuesday.

Wednesday workout:

front squat: worked up to 2 sets of 5 at 215

standing press: worked up to 5x130 (last checked 1rm in the spring was 135 so huge improvement so far)

deadlift: worked up to 5x350. this guy said I was cracking the floor doing these so maybe I'll have to stop for the summer.

Went for a bike ride to the beach and mowed the lawn today.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
deadlift: worked up to 5x350. this guy said I was cracking the floor doing these so maybe I'll have to stop for the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a weightlifter and I gather you are way beyond me. But maybe focusing on weights where the descent is non-controversial with this guy wouldn't really cost you much as far as current strength even if they slowed down your growth a bit?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't do anything tuesday.

Wednesday workout:

front squat: worked up to 2 sets of 5 at 215

standing press: worked up to 5x130 (last checked 1rm in the spring was 135 so huge improvement so far)

Went for a bike ride to the beach and mowed the lawn today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smiley,

Do you think using a Smith Machine for both kind of squats is cheating/far less beneficial? Usually the regular squat platforms are used up, just wondering (doing 235 for regular squat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a weightlifter and I gather you are way beyond me. But maybe focusing on weights where the descent is non-controversial with this guy wouldn't really cost you much as far as current strength even if they slowed down your growth a bit?

[/ QUOTE ]\

This makes exactly 0 sense.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Smiley,

Do you think using a Smith Machine for both kind of squats is cheating/far less beneficial? Usually the regular squat platforms are used up, just wondering (doing 235 for regular squat

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the machine also as it is what my trainer put me on. She says many people utulize incorrect form and may hurt themselves the other way. It is definetely better without the smith machine but you must have correct form. She told me correct form is very important not just weight.I find it allows me to keep my form perfect and still get the results. I hated these when i started now I love them.

The sessions i booked with the trainer were the best money I spent
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 AM

It is less beneficial for obvious reasons. I used it initially while doing front squat to learn the new exercise and then switched to just the squat rack when I was comfortable enough with the form to get a solid exercise in.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:31 PM

I'm almost positive you can't have perfect form in a smith machine.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I could just go with light weight, but I'm not dropping the bar as it is anyway - just more of a controlled crash. Either way maybe I'll substitute rack pulls and/or take some time off. I'm only back home for the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Burda,

I'm with Thremp - I just don't see how you can execute any sort of squat correctly in a smith machine. Also, I've heard that it places lots of shearing stress on your knee and causes back problems. I would much much rather someone clean the heaviest weight they can and do front squats then work in the smith machine.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Pulled a muscle in my upper back sometime this week and tweaked it in the gym today so I ended up cutting the workout short. I've done 8 weeks straight so I may take next week off.

Back Squat:

worked up to triple at 290 - skipped the 8x225 because of my back

Bench:

worked up to triple at 190 then 8x155