Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will Philly turn it around and grab a wildcard?
Yes 22 41.51%
Probably Not 14 26.42%
No 9 16.98%
They will blow it on the last play of the season in true Philly style 8 15.09%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Universal Healthcare? Can it work? I\'m doubtful...

[ QUOTE ]
What is going to force the government to do a good job of providing healthcare and avoid wasting money if it doesn't have to compete with anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you assuming that there will be no compeition? Wouldn't doctors want to get buisness from the government?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is going to force the government to do a good job of providing healthcare and avoid wasting money if it doesn't have to compete with anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you assuming that there will be no compeition? Wouldn't doctors want to get buisness from the government?

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is supposed to keep costs DOWN? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Dude.

When something is "free" people do not *economize* their use of it. Hence that resource is *wasted*. Literally *wasted*. Misallocated to lower valued uses (according to the consumers, not me) rather than to the highest valued uses.

Is that what you want? Waste of medical resources? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is supposed to keep costs DOWN? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Dude.

When something is "free" people do not *economize* their use of it. Hence that resource is *wasted*. Literally *wasted*. Misallocated to lower valued uses (according to the consumers, not me) rather than to the highest valued uses.

Is that what you want? Waste of medical resources? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you said competition keeps costs down. Wouldn't doctors competing for buisness keep costs down? *confused* too
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All these things got cheaper because of technology. Medical costs go UP because of technology. Amazing.

Now if you could only convince me that by opening up the market, prices would go down and everybody would be happy, I'll jump right along side of you. But for all your ramblings about the evils of government, you haven't given me anything to show that this would actually be the case. Medical care vs Ball Point Pens really doesn't do it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
TomVeil,

http://www.mises.org/story/917

Pls to be "jumping right along side of me"?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I gave you an entire laundry list of ways that government interference raises costs, a laundry list of axes along which private companies have to fiercely compete, a laundry list of non-regulated industries where prices continually fall, a laundry list of heavily regulated industries where prices continually skyrocket, and you claim that nothing I've provided shows that the market works. Prices only started to go up after government began destroying the market. You don't think that's a mighty interesting coincidence?

It's like a religion with you people.

[/ QUOTE ]

And through all that, you haven't proven to me that government is RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INCREASE IN PRICE. Profits are arching up right with the costs. Could it be that *GASP* the insurance companies are just scamming us all?

Well damn, that can't be right! Competition is good!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All these things got cheaper because of technology. Medical costs go UP because of technology. Amazing.

Now if you could only convince me that by opening up the market, prices would go down and everybody would be happy, I'll jump right along side of you. But for all your ramblings about the evils of government, you haven't given me anything to show that this would actually be the case. Medical care vs Ball Point Pens really doesn't do it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
TomVeil,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't say anything about how to fix the system.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're called elections.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I gave you an entire laundry list of ways that government interference raises costs, a laundry list of axes along which private companies have to fiercely compete, a laundry list of non-regulated industries where prices continually fall, a laundry list of heavily regulated industries where prices continually skyrocket, and you claim that nothing I've provided shows that the market works. Prices only started to go up after government began destroying the market. You don't think that's a mighty interesting coincidence?

It's like a religion with you people.

[/ QUOTE ]

And through all that, you haven't proven to me that government is RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INCREASE IN PRICE.

[/ QUOTE ]

DUDE I TOLD YOU EXACTLY HOW GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE RAISES THE PRICE.

[ QUOTE ]
Profits are arching up right with the costs. Could it be that *GASP* the insurance companies are just scamming us all?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, BRAINIAC. THEY ARE SCAMMING US BY HAVING THE GOVERNMENT CARTELIZE THEIR INDUSTRY FOR THEM SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO ACTUALLY COMPETE.

Government *restricts* supply which drives *up* profits. In a free market those profits would be a *signal* to other market participants to increase investment in that industry (to capture their share of those profits) which would increase the supply in that industry and bring down the profits to the general level in the economy. But when government protects the industry by creating barriers to entry into the industry, supply is artificially constrained and the excess profits are sustained indefinitely. And you want MORE government. Lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Well damn, that can't be right! Competition is good!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is. If only we had it.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
TomVeil,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't say anything about how to fix the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

Let's try a little logic test, Tom. Assuming that, as this author says, "government actions have been a major factor in forcing up the price of health care in America," would it make sense to favor more or less government intervention in the health care industry?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're called elections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. The free market holds billions of elections every day, and nobody is forced to live with the winner-take-all choice of 15% of the populace.