5 p.m. EST 4 12.12%
7 p.m. EST 14 42.42%
9 p.m. EST 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: 16 weeks into a 24 week physical challenge w/pics

allindan

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm the [censored] authority around here. [censored] everything else unless it says what i'm about to say."

Alright dude, let's hear it.

I'm 21 y/o, 6'1, I weigh 160. I've always been able to eat whatever the [censored] I want, and used to have a gigantic appetite. Over the last 2-3 years my appetite has slowed down a lot, and I've gained more of a desire to get in shape. I did a bit of lifting back in high school, but never for more than a month or two at a time. I only worked on machines then. Even after two weeks of working out 3x/week results were immediately noticeable because of my thin frame and really low bodyfat. My goals are to add a few pounds and just generally gain muscle in arms/back/chest/legs. I suppose getting my legs strong enough to be able to dunk in basketball would be nice too.

I am NOT trying to get real bulky/look like a bodybuilder or anything, I just want to fill out my frame.

fill me in on what kind of diet/exercises I need to start on, and point me to any especially good resources.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan,

There is a lot of advice in this thread that will serve you well.

I want to point out something to you and everyone else that I used to hear from girls all the time when they would say

"But I don't want to get all muscley and huge like those guys on magazines, i'm not wanting to put on a bunch of muscle"

My response then and now is "Good, b/c you won't, and you can't".

No one walks into the gym and starts lifting weights and then six months later curses themselves b/c they gained too much muscle tissue and now look like a bodybuilder.

You gain muscle by the ounce, not by the pound, and after a certain genetic point you have to result to perfect diet, training, and anabolic steroids to grow new tissue.

Most natural body builders will compete at a weight of 160-180 LBS. Most non-natural body builders will compete at a weight of 200-240 LBS.

The guys who are natural might have superior genetics, been lifting for ten years, and do everything right, but they've likely reached their natural genetic maximum and unless they take their shirt off you wouldn't even know they were bodybuilders.

The point is, you wont turn into either a bodybuilder or an offensive lineman if you start lifting weights.

You gain muscle by the ounce, and fat by the pound.

I can show you how to train but the diet is up to you. Use a mirror as your judge, eat clean, stick to a weight training regimen, and you'll like the way you look better than you do now.

Again, use these principles:

eat 5-6 small meals a day w/ lots of protein

workout 4-5x week

focus on free weight movements and heavy weight (once you have perfect form)

showup focused and ready to sweat.

and don't be afraid of bulking up. unless you want to gorge yourself and slam weight gainer while you lift heavy for the next year, you are not going to get bulky.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tx,

Did you once have a belly-button ring? My girlfriend has a similar scar at the top of her belly button.

Cause, if so, that's pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

i had an apendectomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's not very funny.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 PM

when you say you can bench 415 or whatever, is that a legitamate bench, or that powerlifting crap where you wear a triple-ply canvas shirt and from lockout to its lowest point the bar moves like 10 inches?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you say you can bench 415 or whatever, is that a legitamate bench, or that powerlifting crap where you wear a triple-ply canvas shirt and from lockout to its lowest point the bar moves like 10 inches?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone weighing 200+ and benching 400 with a denim shirt would be pretty funny.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you tell me
Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 PM

the first 1:30 of that video was completely unnecessary.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone weighing 200+ and benching 400 with a denim shirt would be pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the biggest shirts can put like 150 on top guys benches... It'd be a huge waste of your time to build a back/triceps to handle a shirt like that.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the biggest shirts can put like 150 on top guys benches... It'd be a huge waste of your time to build a back/triceps to handle a shirt like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

FTR when i did 495 it was raw.

w/ a shirt i'm confident i could break 500 these days.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:50 PM

Benching with a shirt =/= regular bench
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 AM

Tx just wanted to say that I disagree on 20" being out of Arnold's realm at his peak. I have 18.5 inch calves, and thats mostly due to the fact that I played basketball my entire life, and I can calf press the entire machine at the gym for sets of 20, but my calves look nothing like Arnold's did. 20" is definitely possible.