Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 11:02 PM

Default *Official* Israel/Lebanon thread (politics)

OK, after much discussion, we got a green light from DB... the Israel/Lebanon conflict is now open for discussion in TLDR...

Some ground rules...

First, I will quote Mason: "What we will not tolerate are posts designed to foment hate. These include posts, which are sometimes very politely written, that distort facts, create new facts, make references to very bad things that the poster quickly distances himself from but nevertheless leaves the idea out there, and often link to other sites that are clearly hate sites."

Beyond that...

1. All Israel/Lebanon discussion will be contained to this one thread.

2. News items and discussion of current news is appreciated. I'd like to see us focus on the Now and the Future; rather than try to rehash the unchangeable past.

3. Civility and courtesy is the order of the day... if you can't be civil with those who hold views opposed to yours, then simply opt out of participating in this thread.

4. Follow the rules... I have not banned a single non-spammer in a forum I moderate... please don't force me to break my record...

If you have any comments on the rules, make them in ATF or feel free to PM me.

I look forward to well thought out and civil discussion on the very important events playing out now in the middle east and around the world...
Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 PM

Default UN

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- An Arab League delegation wants the United Nations to include the immediate Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon as part of any deal to end the nearly four-week-old war between Israel and Lebanese-based Hezbollah.

A U.S.-French plan under consideration by the Security Council does not require an immediate Israeli withdrawal, an omission Lebanon's government and Arab League diplomats call unacceptable.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Re: UN

[ QUOTE ]
UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- An Arab League delegation wants the United Nations to include the immediate Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon as part of any deal to end the nearly four-week-old war between Israel and Lebanese-based Hezbollah.

A U.S.-French plan under consideration by the Security Council does not require an immediate Israeli withdrawal, an omission Lebanon's government and Arab League diplomats call unacceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it odd that the negotiations for ceasefire are between France and the US. The US is a proxy for Israel we know that. Is France a proxy for Hezbollah and/or Lebanon?

Comments.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it odd that the negotiations for ceasefire are between France and the US. The US is a proxy for Israel we know that. Is France a proxy for Hezbollah and/or Lebanon?

Comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

AC, the discussions going on are between the permanent members of the UN security council, in an attempt to reach consensus on a resolution that won't simply be vetoed. Of the permanent members, France has been the most active diplomatically, in discussions with the arab stakeholders in the area.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:53 PM

US State Department envoy David Welch held meetings with Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni Thursday night to coordinate positions on a new cease-fire proposal to be brought to the UN Security Council, perhaps as early as Friday.

Welch arrived in Jerusalem from Beirut, where he held talks with Lebanon's Prime Minister Fuad Saniora.

Diplomatic officials in Jerusalem said that the US, which was working furiously with the French in New York to come to an understanding on a draft resolution, would press forward with their own proposal if agreement could not be reached with the French on the language of the document.

US Ambassador John Bolton said there could be a vote Friday on the resolution.

"We're making progress, and it's entirely possible we could have a vote tomorrow," Bolton said after a meeting with his French counterpart, Jean-Marc de La Sabliere. "We've closed some of the areas of disagreement with the French."

French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy confirmed there was progress, but also held out the possibility that if no agreement was forthcoming, France might present "a text on its own."
Old 08-11-2006, 03:53 AM

A new obstacle arose over the latest UN draft proposal to stop the fighting between Israel and Lebanon on Thursday night, when the latter refused to allow the French to enforce its mandate as allowed by the UN's chapter VII regulations.

Lebanese Foreign Minister Fawzi Salloukh said in an interview with Al-Jazeera news station that he was opposed to the draft proposal because it did not call for an immediate cease-fire.

"We received France's draft proposal and the United States' draft proposal," he said, "and neither of the two drafts addressed [the issue of] an immediate cease-fire. This is unacceptable to us."
Old 08-09-2006, 02:39 PM

Lebanese PM rejects multinational force for South Lebanon in latest setback for diplomatic effort.

Fouad Siniora told visiting US state department official David Welch Wednesday that only a Lebanese force backed by UNIFIL would be acceptable.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:50 PM

I support the deployment of the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) in southern Lebanon and the boosting of the existing UNIFIL forces, Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah said in a recorded televised address broadcast on the group's al-Manar network on Wednesday night.

Nasrallah strongly rejected the deployment of an international force alongside the LAF.

He demanded of Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora not to give in to American pressure.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:11 PM

Default Re: *Official* Israel/Lebanon thread (politics)

Israel Targets Any Vehicle in South Lebanon

I don't understand the purpose behind this new policy. Are Hezbollah launching rockets from moving vehicles? I don't believe that Hezbollah have been making regular (if any) use of car bombs. This sounds like an excuse to blow things up.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 PM

Default Re: *Official* Israel/Lebanon thread (politics)

[ QUOTE ]
Israel Targets Any Vehicle in South Lebanon

I don't understand the purpose behind this new policy. Are Hezbollah launching rockets from moving vehicles? I don't believe that Hezbollah have been making regular (if any) use of car bombs. This sounds like an excuse to blow things up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I imagine that the goal with that is to limit movement of Hizballah and the Lebanese as much as possible to limit arms, manpower, etc.