Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Am I blind or is there really no Kobe to Dallas thread???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think they are but I don't feel like going off on a tangent. The point I was making is that superstars aren't the be-all-end-all of NBA teams. If someone like the Bulls or the Grizzlies trades for Kobe Bryant they have to make sure they keep enough talent that they don't turn into last year's Lakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know some my bash the article for circular reason or "the chicken or the egg" logic, but I think it's sound reasoning.

The basic premise is you need 1 gold medal superstar+ 1 bronze almost at a minimum except with the usual case the 2nd guy being silver medal superstar. The only exceptions were flukish teams.

I also see that the article is not free from scrutiny as you pointed out the 2 basic "faults", but I believe in the articles credibility.

edit i can't really focus my thoughts into a coherent post since it's so late, but I think the bronze medal superstars are more of a by product of circular logic, since I can't imagine chamberlain, shaq, jordan not winning nba titles even surrounded by marginal role players

[/ QUOTE ]

So to put this article to some practical use......

Lets take a team like the Utah Jazz for example. They have one really solid player in Boozer who just had a career year. If you've read any of my posts lately on NBA you'll know that I think hes going to regress a bit this year, but thats besides the point. I think that his upside is a bronze level guy, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he never makes that list.

Then they have a young stud in Deron Williams who will most likely be a bronze level guy, maybe silver.

Common logic is that the Jazz have a good thing going and that they should build around Williams and Boozer.

However, perhaps better logic would be that this duo is never going to be good enough to get over the hump and that they're going to be too good to ever get a high pick or a shot at a true gold level superstar. Should they then be looking to trade guys like Boozer while they have high value and continually be rebuilding until they finally land that gold medal superstar? That seems like a ridiculous notion to want to tear apart a team that just made the WCF I admit, but realistically what odds do you have them of winning a title in the next 10 years assuming they don't get insanely lucky and find a gold level superstar late in the first round of the draft?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marion gets worse the second he leaves PHX (aka, the perfect situation for him)

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been discussed before.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...Gv51oMHwGkvLYF

Kidd left in 01-02. Nash arrived in 04-05. Take a look at Marion's career stats and compare before and after...not much difference at all.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM

Assani is right. Marion's game exists in its own bubble, how good his PG is has minimal affect on his ability to rebound, block shots, steal the ball, and most of his scoring isn't aided by a PG.
Closed Thread