Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: anyone who is reasonable at poker, please read and comment

[ QUOTE ]
Rento, what does it mean by "reasonable" at poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't understand then you are not "reasonable".
Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Ranka, may I still post in this thread?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rento, what does it mean by "reasonable" at poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't understand then you are not "reasonable".

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have him playing 15/6 over 10kish hands, and in my database he is a substantial winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

90/50/2 guys can be substantial winners over 10k hands, the sample is nearly worthless

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly why I asked if someone had a large sample vs. him. He seems to be the only reg. I've played against with a low pfr% and wondered how profitable he was over a larger sample size.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think at NL$200 on FT its a bit of a balancing act. 5% PFR is too low for FR IMHO but I also think that 15% is generally too-high. Simply put you will find yourself playing a lot of marginal hands/situations and often out of position. You'd need absolutely immaculate post-flop play to ensure you don't write off all of your preflop gains derived from a more aggressive raising game through post-flop mistakes. Personally, I think in general somewhere in the region of 8-12 PFR plays well on these tables. You still get a degree or respect, you usually have position in a raised pot (if you are picking off limps, etc) and you still benefit from the more aggro preflop play without getting yourself into too many trick post-flop spots.

I still can't decide on pocket pairs. By limping along with them you see more flops and get more opportunity to hit a set. Usually there are more opponents so more chance someone will stick around. However, by raising them you give yourself more options (such as taking it with a cbet or peeling free turn), you inflate the pot for when you hit a set but the flipside is you take less flops. I'm not sure if the value of seeing flops with pairs cheap to set mine outweighs the value of taking down blinds/limps preflop and not even having a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, I have been following the aggressive model with pairs, I raise pretty much any pair in any position if it folds or limps to me.

The exception is a table with a ton of 3 betting, or a table with a lot of short stackers, etc where I may limp along occasionally or even fold the tiny pairs in EP.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 PM

I can't personally analyze your stats that well, but I imagine for the people who can, it would help to see stats from 50k winning hands before this breakeven stretch. Something to compare, anyway.

Also, it appears you're running quite bad, good players tend to underestimate the effect of luck in this game and bad players tend to overestimate it. I'm pretty sure you're a solid player, though, so things will ultimately turn around, as long as you don't lose your mind.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wait,

You play 19/5.5 and this is how much you have won?

Wow this is amazing. I am going to have to re-evaluate everything lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post-flop is where you make your money at full-ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

My stats are 18/4 over my last 156k hands and I show a profit of $18.4k (2.95 PTBB/100). If you're going to do a lot of limping, simply pay attention to position and don't limp in too many spots where you wouldn't be willing to play in a raised pot. Make good reads by knowing your opponents tendencies and make the big hands count. Narena probably has this philosophy as perfected as anybody does. There is no optimal style, but whatever your style is, you have to have a solid gameplan to maximize your profits. I've seen 18/15 players who spew money all over the place and some who are also extremely profitable. At the same time I've seen people run at 24/2 who are losers and some who are winners. The more extreme it gets the less likely it is that a player can be a winner, but the point is those preflop stats are only the tip of the iceberg. This game is too complex to put together a great analysis of somebody's game simply by looking at the data pokertracker pulls together. Postflop decisions in individual hands are FAR more important. Personally, I think if you're capable of playing one hand in a variety of different ways and keeping an element of randomness in your game, you'll keep your opponents on their toes regardless of overall preflop stats.