Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Friday Night Lights Season 2

[ QUOTE ]
What do the kids who don't go to the NFL do after college ball in general

[/ QUOTE ]

They parley their communications degree into a lucrative career selling used cars.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel closer to god if i'm with you

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do the kids who don't go to the NFL do after college ball in general

[/ QUOTE ]

They parley their communications degree into a lucrative career selling used cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-20-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh btw there seems to be maybe some speculation up there ^ on next week, can we keep this to a minimum? i tried not to read it, i assume it's maybe based on the 'coming next week on fnl'? i hate watching those things as they give so much away, yet the copy i downloaded had it this week so i saw 2s before closing it. bah

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry yeti. FWIW the episode i have didnt show the preview for next week, so that was pure speculation based on my mad TV show skillz.

[ QUOTE ]

i feel closer to god if i'm with you

so money

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ignorant question - what does College ball entail? Do the kids get payed for it? Do they do the same amount of schoolwork and get the same qualifications as the non-Athletic kids? What do the kids who don't go to the NFL do after college ball in general (do they ever play ball after leaving college atall)?

[/ QUOTE ]

they dont get paid, but they get a scholarship and free books and food. The superstars will get money and things on the side, but that isnt allowed.

As far as school work most of them will take the easier route through college and a lot of Health classes that their
coaches teach. The professors are generally more lenient when it comes to deadlines and such bc football will keep them very busy
Old 10-21-2007, 09:15 AM

cpitt,

[ QUOTE ]
they dont get paid, but they get a scholarship and free books and food. The superstars will get money and things on the side, but that isnt allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. College scholarship covers books, fees, room and board. There is obv corrupt stuff that goes on but it isn't supposed to. There are ways to legally get paid as well.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as school work most of them will take the easier route through college and a lot of Health classes that their
coaches teach. The professors are generally more lenient when it comes to deadlines and such bc football will keep them very busy

[/ QUOTE ]

College coaches don't teach, they aren't professors. This statement is pretty wrong. Student Advisers will steer a student-athlete down what they believe to be the easiest path which is a lot of times psychology (the #1 degree amongst student-athletes for awhile--dunno what is now). This doesn't mean that they are taking health classes that coaches teach so they can get good grades--that is high school stuff and that doesn't happen in college. Now, preferential treatment could occur at a school but not in the way mentioned.

A lot of schools hold their education to high standards and make it come first and foremost though. This is a separate concept from paying athletes.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cpitt,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. College scholarship covers books, fees, room and board. There is obv corrupt stuff that goes on but it isn't supposed to. There are ways to legally get paid as well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

College coaches don't teach, they aren't professors. This statement is pretty wrong. Student Advisers will steer a student-athlete down what they believe to be the easiest path which is a lot of times psychology (the #1 degree amongst student-athletes for awhile--dunno what is now). This doesn't mean that they are taking health classes that coaches teach so they can get good grades--that is high school stuff and that doesn't happen in college. Now, preferential treatment could occur at a school but not in the way mentioned.

A lot of schools hold their education to high standards and make it come first and foremost though. This is a separate concept from paying athletes.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't know why you've quoted the first statement as you seem to just be repeating what I said.

College coaches definitely teach. I took coaching baseball with the head coach from my school (Division 1 - 16K students) and took golf, tennis, and volleyball with the assistant baseball coach.

Ive also taken a beginning health class with the quarterback coach from my school.

The good things about these classes are that the classes are canceled a few times a semester for recruiting purposes and the teachers are busy people so they dont require much coursework

granted you cant graduate from all coach based courses, but 1 a semester will make it a little easier to get by

and other teachers will show leniency towards student athletes on time constraints (which is not totally unfair)

and im not comparing this to paying players, the person asked what college ball entails including coursework
Old 10-21-2007, 04:01 PM

cpitt,

I am not talking about your small program, I am talking about big time programs. B/c lets face it if the coaches are teaching at your school then it doesn't have the money to pay players. I am not trying to knock your school at all but it really sounds like juco ball. Coaches teach at JUCO, DII/DIII, NAIA, and small program DI but that isn't what we are talking about.

Pete Carroll and Les Miles don't teach classes bro. And in baseball, I played for two of the best and most known baseball coaches in the country and they never even stepped on campus let alone in a classroom. Neither did any of the assistants.

[ QUOTE ]
and im not comparing this to paying players, the person asked what college ball entails including coursework

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cpitt,

I am not talking about your small program, I am talking about big time programs. B/c lets face it if the coaches are teaching at your school then it doesn't have the money to pay players. I am not trying to knock your school at all but it really sounds like juco ball. Coaches teach at JUCO, DII/DIII, NAIA, and small program DI but that isn't what we are talking about.

Pete Carroll and Les Miles don't teach classes bro. And in baseball, I played for two of the best and most known baseball coaches in the country and they never even stepped on campus let alone in a classroom. Neither did any of the assistants.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a division 1 school as alluded to in the previous post
Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM

yeti i too might fall under the speculation classification. my bad. but like ilpug said, not based on previews more just wanting to document it so i receive a hero's welcome in OOT if/when im right.