Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is in the more wrong here?
Anacardo mega wrong 3 2.31%
Anacardo semi wrong 6 4.62%
meh, can't tell 31 23.85%
Kitty semi wrong 40 30.77%
kitty mega wrong. 50 38.46%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Today I became a pro.

Im down for staking. A taxi drivers, scratch that a gamblers word is good.

Edit Wickks has to at least fold junk early so that we can rail him for a while before he busts out.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to discourage people from helping wicks,,, but why does everything have to be about money?!!

[/ QUOTE ]well, its a game where money is what we use to keep score. . . that being said, I agree with you. I'm not going to be shipping $10 but he can feel free to keep sending me HHs to review.

On a slightly separate note, I've been thinking lately about all the pressure that's being put on the young man right now. This has got to be a weird experience with so many living vicariously through his experience. I'm not sure how I'd react with so many people 'suggesting' what I should be doing with my time and money. The level of 'frustration' people have with how he spends his time is curious.

FWIW, I'm moving my comments from pro-active criticism to only at request to give the boy some space.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds good...
The position that I’m taking is that he’s been providing entertainment in that I get to watch him play and cheer him on. I had a baby at the end of March and my poker hours are being chopped daily, so this has become something like subscribing to the “Big Brother Live Feed” and hence my willingness to kick-in $10 and arrange the deal.

Let me know as I'm starting to get a list of people in PM's already.

And thanks for being up front about the expectations that I think we all should be sharing...
If you think this is a money maker please dont' send $$ - it's just for fun...

At the same time to Bones, , I respect your accomplishments and value your insights here. I don't really see the "setting a precedent" risk as long as expectation are clear of what this is and what it is not.

[/ QUOTE ]Congrats on your new baby, I hope all is well with baby and mother. If 60/40 sounds good to people, (60 for stakers) then that is what we will go with. I would highly recommend though that you be more concerned with what flavor of ice cream you'll be eating on Sunday while watching, then on the percentage of your cut. The cut is an obligatory but irrelevant conversation. I hope everyone gets the maximum on their entertainment dollar. Good job Strega on organizing this.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer: I do not know wicks at all, therefore I have zero information about his character. This is not a comment on him specifically.

The thought of him winning this and shipping back 75k to people he doesn't know is laughable, especially since he seems to have almost no experience in the gambling world, and at this point, the money is likely much more valuable to him than his word.

[/ QUOTE ]

While that may be true, I think there's probably at least 21 people here who think the stretch on a $10 investment is worth the risk, just for the curiosity - and there's at least a non-zero chance he'd actually stick to his word.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's fine as long as they realize that they're basically giving money away on a super -EV spot and don't get upset if they get stiffed.

Also, I think it sets a bad precedent, but whatever. I miss Cit.

[/ QUOTE ]These are reasonable points, but I don't care. Alternatively, the $10 gives me a chance to watch my "horse" after I inevitably go busto in 20 hands or less...
Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to discourage people from helping wicks,,, but why does everything have to be about money?!!

[/ QUOTE ]well, its a game where money is what we use to keep score. . . that being said, I agree with you. I'm not going to be shipping $10 but he can feel free to keep sending me HHs to review.

On a slightly separate note, I've been thinking lately about all the pressure that's being put on the young man right now. This has got to be a weird experience with so many living vicariously through his experience. I'm not sure how I'd react with so many people 'suggesting' what I should be doing with my time and money. The level of 'frustration' people have with how he spends his time is curious.

FWIW, I'm moving my comments from pro-active criticism to only at request to give the boy some space.

[/ QUOTE ]I think this is a very reasonable point of view.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are reasonable points, but I don't care. Alternatively, the $10 gives me a chance to watch my "horse" after I inevitably go busto in 20 hands or less...

[/ QUOTE ]That does sound like fun. :-)
Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Such a good point, well said sir.

As to why it's "all about money," I don't think it is. It's the same reason I can still play low stakes table games when in Vegas - dropping a bill at a craps table isn't gambling, it's entertainment. I don't expect to get anything back from Wickss in the millski (I don't expect to get anything back from myself in the millski) but being able to rail-with-interest will cost less than going to see a movie and almost inevitably be more entertaining.

Though, per Kibby, I am now a little concerned about contributing to the whole "Truman Show" thing Wickss has going on now...
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on your new baby, I hope all is well with baby and mother. If 60/40 sounds good to people, (60 for stakers) then that is what we will go with. I would highly recommend though that you be more concerned with what flavor of ice cream you'll be eating on Sunday while watching, then on the percentage of your cut. The cut is an obligatory but irrelevant conversation. I hope everyone gets the maximum on their entertainment dollar. Good job Strega on organizing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks an excellent point! I'm going with basic vanilla ice cream.

OK, now that we have a go, PM me and I'll give you PS name to do the transfer. I'll just do an update later in the day as whom I've confirmed as being in and will transfer directly to "the man" once we hit the magic number.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 PM

LOL @ Truman Show.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:10 PM

Bones, I made a post about 2837402 pages up that people shouldn't offer money if they're gonna get upset if they don't see it back blah blah blah 2+2, STTF, mods, etc are no responsible blah blah blah.

In the end, if people want to ship the guy money, they will. Whatever. It would be much much different if he were asking for a stake, but he isn't, so whatever people want to do to entertain themselves is fine with me.
Closed Thread