Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: An Amazing Life

[ QUOTE ]
How many times have I said FAITH in Jesus Christ??

Faith is not a good enough answer for you is it tpir?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Brad1970 has faith that X is true" may be a good enough answer for you, but it isn't for most people. Can you blame us for not finding *your* faith to be a sufficient answer to the questions that the rest of us have about your religion?

You think we're just being obstinate and don't want to believe in your God. In reality, we're just trying to figure out if there's a rational reason *to* believe.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Faith is not a good enough answer for you is it tpir? You are too blinded by the world to accept such a simple solution.

[/ QUOTE ]
Faith is far from a simple solution when you can't tell me how you ended up with faith in Jesus versus faith in Mohammad or something else. How did you pick? How am I expected to know which one to choose?

As for being "blinded by the world." If you mean science, why should I think God left all this evidence around if it points to something that isn't true? Would God lie to us and try to deceive us?

[ QUOTE ]
That's why you keep bringing up the same question.

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep bringing up the same question because you won't answer it. I get the feeling that even considering it is making you upset. Maybe you can't answer it(?)

[ QUOTE ]
We were talking about miracles earlier, I showed you one in Acts with Paul & all you did, as usual, was use your critical thinking 'well, how do you know' questions to wave it away.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the exact same way you wave away miracles in the other holy books though. Why is it OK when you do it? Acts is a nice story but is not really compelling evidence on Jesus being God. That is an awfully big jump to make.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, drop the act. It's getting old.

[/ QUOTE ]
You continuously telling me it's an act is a weak dodge and makes you look silly. I am trying to find out the truth and for someone who claims to know it you are not being a very good ambassador.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I said multiple times, I take the Bible as the infallible Word of God on faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing whether you consider it 'literal' or 'to be interpreted' or 'figurative' would be a comment I'd be interested in.
I use literal in a weird sense, apparently, but do what you can with it.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. I'll give you an example of literal.

If the Bible says Jesus died on a cross I take it literally that he was crucified on a wooden cross. I don't try to read something into that isn't there. I try to distort it by saying "you mean he died when he got ran over by a car in a crosswalk". I read & comprend the words as they are on the page.

On the other hand, Jesus used a lot of parables to teach. Parables need to be interpreted, at least partially, no?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
to me, it looks like you're the one acting. it's hard to believe there's a real person writing what you post.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've been down this road before. That's why I told him his scharade is getting old.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why did you ignore the rest of Sephus' post?

Why does it trouble you so much when I show interest in your religion? I am not asking very difficult questions.

How do you know I am putting on a charade? Having faith in my intentions doesn't make it so.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Faith is not a good enough answer for you is it tpir? You are too blinded by the world to accept such a simple solution.

[/ QUOTE ]
Faith is far from a simple solution when you can't tell me how you ended up with faith in Jesus versus faith in Mohammad or something else. How did you pick? How am I expected to know which one to choose?

As for being "blinded by the world." If you mean science, why should I think God left all this evidence around if it points to something that isn't true? Would God lie to us and try to deceive us?

[ QUOTE ]
That's why you keep bringing up the same question.

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep bringing up the same question because you won't answer it. I get the feeling that even considering it is making you upset. Maybe you can't answer it(?)

[ QUOTE ]
We were talking about miracles earlier, I showed you one in Acts with Paul & all you did, as usual, was use your critical thinking 'well, how do you know' questions to wave it away.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the exact same way you wave away miracles in the other holy books though. Why is it OK when you do it? Acts is a nice story but is not really compelling evidence on Jesus being God. That is an awfully big jump to make.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, drop the act. It's getting old.

[/ QUOTE ]
You continuously telling me it's an act is a weak dodge and makes you look silly. I am trying to find out the truth and for someone who claims to know it you are not being a very good ambassador.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me this...Where is Mohammed buried? How 'bout Buddha (any of them will be sufficient)? Anybody know????

Now where is Jesus buried???

As I said, you're act is stale. What was that you called yourself the other day?? Oh, yeah I remember now...the "#sstakes king of anti-theism".
Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If the Bible says Jesus died on a cross I take it literally that he was crucified on a wooden cross. I don't try to read something into that isn't there. I try to distort it by saying "you mean he died when he got ran over by a car in a crosswalk". I read & comprend the words as they are on the page.

On the other hand, Jesus used a lot of parables to teach. Parables need to be interpreted, at least partially, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's two of us that are in some sort of literal trouble then.

I'm not concerned with the parables, it was literal I've been trying to sort out. I assume the parables were written in red or have a lead in phrase, perhaps, "It's like ...." or some other way of alerting us when we move from literal to figurative. another day perhaps.

thanks, luckyme
Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was that you called yourself the other day?? Oh, yeah I remember now...the "#sstakes king of anti-theism".

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you following my posts in other forums? He he he. Anyway, this was an inside joke from the IRC place that I chat, pretty sure my post had a [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] in it. I am not actually an anti-theist, but I concede that trying to talk with you about theism is making me reconsider.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell me this...Where is Mohammed buried? How 'bout Buddha (any of them will be sufficient)? Anybody know????

Now where is Jesus buried???

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I have no idea where any of those people are buried. What is your point?

Also, are you going to keep ignoring my other questions/points? I asked you some serious ones that I spent time coming up with. I keep checking back to see if you have answered but I will stop if you are never going to.

Saying you won't answer them because you think I am acting is both weak and based on something which isn't true.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 PM

Some of you guys are very disrespectful in your "pursuit" of knowledge...There is nothing in the Bible that requires Christians to argue with non-believers or people that have determined to harden their hearts to God...This thread is about apprising people of bibical prophecies and the fulfillment of them...If you cannot do your own reasoning then maybe you need to pray for guidance...Please review the prophecies, pray for guidance and do your own critical thinking...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's two of us that are in some sort of literal trouble then.

I'm not concerned with the parables, it was literal I've been trying to sort out. I assume the parables were written in red or have a lead in phrase, perhaps, "It's like ...." or some other way of alerting us when we move from literal to figurative. another day perhaps.

thanks, luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

The words in red are Jesus's words.