Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: most emotionally devasting moment in film

[ QUOTE ]
Rick - I wonder if most people still observe that 9:00 pm rule for phone calls. My pulse always races a bit when I get calls past this time, too. For some reason, I think we may be among the few here who have had that feeling. - John

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody ever calls me anyway so it really isn't a problem [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 09-16-2007, 04:24 AM

Just after the "Cease fire" bit in Children of Men, after leading the girl and the baby past the soldiers, when a rocket shoots out of the window and the fighting begins again.

Clip

I was still jacked up from adrenaline from the gunfight scene (same scene actually) just a few minutes earlier, and the awestruck looks on the soldier's faces coupled with the baby's crying lulled me into this state of shocked calm. I nearly jumped out of my seat when the shooting started again. It wasn't until after the movie ended that I realized how horribly [censored] up it was.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 AM

Im gonna watch Sophie's Choice and Grave of Fireflies because of this thread.

Movie- Last scene in Zwick's 'Glory'.

TV show- I get more emotional during the last 5 minutes of the last episode of Six Feet Under than anything else i have seen in film and tv. not sure why.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:55 AM

I have been enjoying this thread and have decided to add:

When Jon Voight dies and Ricky Schroeder is by his side telling him to "get up" in The Champ, I was 10 when I saw it and I balled
Old 09-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Someone already mentioned One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The strangling scene just after Billy's suicide always hit me the hardest.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 AM

Same here, Rick. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Come and See

Watched this a couple nights ago based on recommendations here. Superb throughout. How can the protagonist refrain from shooting Hitler as a baby? It's one of those films that will stay with me for a long time.

It's great to stumble into a film I've never heard of before that is that good.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rick,

I wonder if most people still observe that 9:00 pm rule for phone calls. My pulse always races a bit when I get calls past this time, too. For some reason, I think we may be among the few here who have had that feeling.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar, except it's 9:30, and only if the caller ID shows that its my dad. It's happened maybe three times, all for really stupid reasons (e.g., he wanted to tell me that a guy I used to play baseball with works for him).
Old 09-17-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ending of Au Hassard Balthazar. And, for all the wrong reasons, the "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" number in Cabaret, an underappreciated masterpiece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just with my generation, but Cabaret and its message is underappreciated overrall. I saw it with my wife on Broadway, having no idea what it was about, only knowing that my wife liked the songs and performances. I was blown away.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Come and See

[ QUOTE ]
Watched this a couple nights ago based on recommendations here. Superb throughout. How can the protagonist refrain from shooting Hitler as a baby? It's one of those films that will stay with me for a long time.

It's great to stumble into a film I've never heard of before that is that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joh, what is "this" bolded above. The threading would indicate Sophie's Choice but I simply can't believe you never heard of the film.

I'm confused often because I'm a little dumb and almost everybody uses friggen flat mode which is only irritating when you don't quote enough of the passage you are resonding to so that it is easy to follow along.

~ Rick

PS I surf in flat mode too, but would love a flat mode that shows some of the threading, e.g. the Paul Phillips blog