Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: The Mike Vick case... am I a life nit?

[ QUOTE ]
A local radio meathead here actually said that what Vick was accused of was way worse than what Kobe was accused of.

WTF.

I think it's worse to rape one woman than to torture and kill all the dogs on earth.

Vick is a scumbag if he ran a dogfighting ring, but he's far less of a scumbag than someone like, say, Warren Moon, who beat the living [censored] out of his wife to the point that his child said 'my daddy is killing my mommy' to the 911 operator. Moon is in the Hall of Fame, Vick's career is over.

Something's not right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed completely. I also agree with the OP and I find the arbitrary caring for certain animals to be ridiculous. Dog fighting is way down on my list of horrible things a person could do, and if it were up to me I wouldn't even put people in prison for it.

someone made a similar analogy about the Detroit Red Wings' fans' practice of throwing octopi(sp?) on the ice after a goal....imagine for a second that they threw dead kittens on the ice. How do you think people would react to that? But because octopi aren't cute and cuddly we don't care.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this whole thing is ridiculous.

Ray Lewis was involved in the murder of a HUMAN... the press, NFL, and general public got over it in about 12 months...

I honestly believe Vic will never play in the NFL again and I find it kind of ironic that Ray Lewis will be starting this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Ravens fan, so take this FWIW, but with that said I know a lot about the situation....

The case against Ray Lewis was dropped before it even went to court because the prosecutors had such a lack of evidence. Do you realize how little evidence they must have for that to happen? Contrast that to the Vick case in which they had so much evidence that the defendant plea bargained.

Essentially this is what Ray Lewis did: He went to the Super Bowl with some friends. His friends killed a guy. He knew about it. The police questioned him, and in the heat of the moment he wasn't sure whether to tell the truth or to protect his friends so he basically said "no comment." A day or two later, he realized that this was wrong and he went and told the police the truth. Thats why he was charged with "obstruction of justice."

He has since gone to many rookie training camps and spoke to incoming rookies about the importance of watching the people you hang out with and making good decisions. He has also done a number of charitable things in the Baltimore community. Furthermore, hes been known as a fabulous team leader. Again contrast that to Vick who has a history of questionable behavior.

I do agree with you that taking the life of a human is obviously much more serious than taking a dog's life. But by all accounts, Vick was directly involved while Lewis was VERY MUCH indirectly involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure Lewis was there watching while his buddies stabbed a guy to death, but I agree with the rest of what you said.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A local radio meathead here actually said that what Vick was accused of was way worse than what Kobe was accused of.

WTF.

I think it's worse to rape one woman than to torture and kill all the dogs on earth.

Vick is a scumbag if he ran a dogfighting ring, but he's far less of a scumbag than someone like, say, Warren Moon, who beat the living [censored] out of his wife to the point that his child said 'my daddy is killing my mommy' to the 911 operator. Moon is in the Hall of Fame, Vick's career is over.

Something's not right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed completely. I also agree with the OP and I find the arbitrary caring for certain animals to be ridiculous. Dog fighting is way down on my list of horrible things a person could do, and if it were up to me I wouldn't even put people in prison for it.

someone made a similar analogy about the Detroit Red Wings' fans' practice of throwing octopi(sp?) on the ice after a goal....imagine for a second that they threw dead kittens on the ice. How do you think people would react to that? But because octopi aren't cute and cuddly we don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

He allegedly hung, electrocuted and drowned poorly performing dogs. He didn't just show up at a dog fight and make some bets.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i don't particularly value a human life over that of a dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line of thought baffles me.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

convince me. opinions can be changed.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you the kind of mod who argues in a thread and then bans people who disagree with him?

It's a torturing/killing dogs vs. beating up women thing, then.

If first-time woman beaters don't usually get jail time, then neither should Vick, because beating up women = worse than killing dogs. IMO.

And WTF at people saying you can't compare the two... that's exactly how punishments and sentencing are determined!! Is this crime worse than x crime? That's how it's done, for cripes' sake.

[/ QUOTE ]
The meat of the charges is coming from the fact that what he did essentially amounts to organized crime. So you can say that it's comparing killing dogs to beating women all you want, but it's the wrong comparison. To use your arguments, you need to compare beating up women to organized crime. When you do that I think you'll find that the punishment is just what you'd expect given the degree Vick went in this endeavor.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys, what if the choice was between a fat chick and all the puppies in the world? what then?

what if the chick was running a dogfighting operation? is it ok to rape her then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if the fat chick had bad breath, and she's going up against puppies with puppy breath, and I think we know which contributes more to the sum total happiness in the world.

The real question is if it's a cuter chick, and SHE has bad breath. Is she worth more puppies than a fat chick who really takes care of herself? And how do we judge cuteness -- do great teeth rate over a well-shaped jaw or a ski-jump nose? We're in quite a legal quandary here.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really care to convince you. You can think what you want. We obviously have different viewpoints about animals, thats all. I just can't comprehend the love some people have for animals, but it obviously exists so I won't argue with it.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you the kind of mod who argues in a thread and then bans people who disagree with him?

It's a torturing/killing dogs vs. beating up women thing, then.

If first-time woman beaters don't usually get jail time, then neither should Vick, because beating up women = worse than killing dogs. IMO.

And WTF at people saying you can't compare the two... that's exactly how punishments and sentencing are determined!! Is this crime worse than x crime? That's how it's done, for cripes' sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

First time wife beaters get removed from the house and taken to jail pretty much always in California, I thought. Unless you're a celebrity maybe.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really care to convince you. You can think what you want. We obviously have different viewpoints about animals, thats all. I just can't comprehend the love some people have for animals, but it obviously exists so I won't argue with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't love for animals so much as it is not having any reason to believe humans are more important than animals.