Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If your standard raise is 2BB its correct to stel ...than in limit
more 5 25.00%
less 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite?

[ QUOTE ]
Best TV scene ever:

Bunk: F*ck
McNulty: F*ck

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-03-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No sh*t? Did you get a chance to talk to anyone? I'd give my left nut for an hour to chew the fat with Simon and Burns.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like that would be disappointing. Neal Stephenson wrote something once that seems pretty accurate to me. He says that people frequently feel an urge to try and chat with the creators of their favorite pieces of art, literature, etc. but tend to forget that the art itself represents the stripped down, most condensed, best ideas that those guys have, and consequently talking to them is almost always a letdown. I mean, I'd still do it, too, but I'd like to hold on to my nuts, thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 PM

A few things. First of all, when the new season starts, I highly recommend this blog for some great Wire discussion. (For those in the know, one of the main authors is Bethlehem Shoals from FreeDarko which is essential reading for the NBA fans amongst you.

Second, for those who question Omar and Mouzzonne and the fact that they are sort of stylized and unrealistic, especially against the backdrop of the rest of the show, Simon, et al have basically copped to this. (Though Simon stands by the fact that Omar is very strongly based on several actual stick up boys he knew/covered when he was on the B-more crime beat back in the 80s) However, they serve a very important purpose.

One of the key themes of the show, running throughout each season, is the deleterious effect 'institutions' have on individuals, whether it be the [censored] up BPD, city hall, a hierarchical drug ring or a public school. This is pretty much made explicit in the back-to-back scenes in the pilot episode where first McNulty gets called in to see Rawls ("these are for you, McNulty") and then Avon goes off on D at Orlando's. These scenes are exactly the same, as the guy from D.C. tells String, "Same soup, just reheated."

So within this framework, Omar and to a lesser extent, Mouzzone are completely outside of these institutions, and their actions serve as a sort of a Deus Ex Machina to instigate much of the plot. And against the very structured lives of the rest of the characters, Omar does come off like someone from the wild west. He seems fantastical, but mostly by comparison with the rather grim existence lead by everyone else.

It's hard to identify a favorite character, other than to say my least favorite major character is probably Kima. I suspect that they figured they needed a female 'lead' character, didn't know how to right one, so made her a butch lesbian and just wrote her as a man.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:24 PM

<------------

Okay, I voted for Omar too. But String is 2nd. Props O.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No sh*t? Did you get a chance to talk to anyone? I'd give my left nut for an hour to chew the fat with Simon and Burns.

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

I will just write a I visited the set of The Wire since I am sure this will spark additional questions. To answer your question no I did'nt see any main charchters. Here is some more info...

I visited the set of The Wire
By JB

Another nickname for Baltimore is Smalltimore. If you have lived downtown long enough and go out enough you will meet and run into the same people often. So I have a few friends that have been extras on The Wire (they do ALOT of local casting off the street - thats how they found Snoop - Omar met her at a bar and said something like "You got a good look - I want you to meet David Chase" and boom rest is history.

Well this was my first opportunity to check out the set which is in a huge warehouse in Columbia, MD (they moved out of the city not too long ago when the city would'nt give them tax breaks during filming and Howard County said "We'll hook you up").

So I arrive at the warehouse which is off a main road but you would never know they were filming there if someone did'nt tell you (tens of thousands of cars pass by it everyday). This day the parking lot was packed and I met my friend who was a Baltimore City cop (extra) out front. We walk around back of the set and whalaa! Hollywood in Maryland! Caterers, big tents, tons of extras, and VIP trailers. Pretty cool to check out.

I meet two guys, a short balding guy wearing a CNN press pass and a skinner - I've traveled the world look - guy wearing a CBS press pass. I thought they were both covering the taping as they looked the part, but none the less after a few bad jokes and examples of poor grammer these guys were just extras too. Everything looks so real.

The actors only show up to the set when they have a scene. So it's not like Marlo, McNulty, and Bunk are hanging out everyday on set discussing the Raven's line-up for next year and drinking 40's. Instead on my visit there was just the Mayor Tommy Carceti but he was chilling in his A/C'ed trailer until it was his scene.

The life of an extra is boring, they sit around all day (my friend was there for over 12 hrs) but they get paid so if you don't have a 9-5 its a cool one-time gig.

I entered in the warehouse which was filled with dozens of plywood boxes. When you peek through a filming window you would see - A court room, a jail cell vistors room, a bedroom etc. Pretty surreal. Also you the warehouse was DEAD SILENT. You have all heard "quiet on the set" oh so true, if you make a sound you will get booted of the property.

Anyway snook around the sets a little bit, no celeb sightings and bounced. A neat behind-the-scenes look but no big sightings.

Fun facts

- Bunky played by William Pierce showed up wasted at my boys warehouse party in North Baltimore (ghetto area near the traintracks). Bunky was drunk but cool.

- Sergant Jay Landsman, played by Delaney Williams, lives in Silver Spring, MD and was spotted at a comic book store around there.

- Omar has often been seen out downtown. As written above thats where they found Snoop.

Umm... thats about it for now. I am sure there will be some ?'s so I will be back in a min.

-JB
Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few things. First of all, when the new season starts, I highly recommend this blog for some great Wire discussion. (For those in the know, one of the main authors is Bethlehem Shoals from FreeDarko which is essential reading for the NBA fans amongst you.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG THIS MAKES ME VERY VERY HAPPY.

<3 Shoals.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:29 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HrfCixsd2N8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HrfCixsd2N8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 PM

Pretty damn funny.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:39 PM

This blog is so [censored] awesome. My day now has a purpose.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:42 PM

Some more snoop/the wire cast [censored] from a friend of mine. He went to the wire's fundraiser for ella tompson a couple months back:

lucky guy: SNOOP
lucky guy: no snoop
lucky guy: snoop is EXACTLY snoop
lucky guy: you know the scoop on her i guess?
lucky guy: yeah thats it
lucky guy: but she is so ghetto
lucky guy: came wearing a mans suit
lucky guy: and a huge fedroa
lucky guy: and was frickin awesome.
lucky guy: best of all was bunk i think
lucky guy: did you see the spike lee hbo film on new orleans?
lucky guy: well, is about response to katrina as told through different new orleanians.
lucky guy: and one of the people is bunk's mom and dad.
lucky guy: so we said to bunk how much we liked it (it really is something else)
lucky guy: and he totally opened up
lucky guy: was really cool
lucky guy: was really small too, which was nice. maybe 300 people plus 75 cast and crew.

Some of the props they auctioned:

lucky guy: omars big ass coat
lucky guy: omars shank from last season
lucky guy: signed [censored]
lucky guy: the nailgun

The nailgun apparently went for $3500.

The best thing they auctioned (but not the more expensive):

"bunk will come to your house with a bottle of bourbon and the two of you will finish it."

Apparently went for $6500.

I don't know how much of this, if any is interesting so one last cut from it.

lucky guy: dookie was there
lucky guy: cause i guess he is a DC boy
lucky guy: and he was so [censored] funny
lucky guy: (unintentionally)
lucky guy: he came in
lucky guy: all like
lucky guy: versace-glasses
lucky guy: leather coat
lucky guy: etc
lucky guy: and told us how he was "going to be making it big time this year" etc etc
lucky guy: he was pretty nice, but kind of a tool

lucky guy: kema was drunk off her face when she showed up