Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: what to drink to seem sophisticated

Al,

Lies.

Safire and Tonic is my drink, and it's ass with well gin until I've killed a few tastebuds.

The thing about umbrella drinks is that usually they say "ok, I feel like drinking, 'cause that's what people do, but I haven't done it much, don't really dig the taste, so how about you just make me a milkshake with extra happy". So in a way you're just saying "I am a noob". If you can pull off being a noob, that's great, but few can. That is why a tonic drink with top shelf is good, because it doesn't taste strong, but conveys that you've been to the dance before.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Snake Bite ftw

[/ QUOTE ]

I was always under the impression that a Snakebite was Yukon Jack and Rose's Lime Juice. Tasty, but sour as hell.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
drink whatever you think tastes good. this isn't hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, in a vacuum - but like anything else (clothes you wear, whatever) the drink you order on a date says something about you to the girl.

The OP isn't really about what guys think, it's about what their date thinks, and some of the most chill, perceptive women I know will look a little askance at a guy ordering a Mai Tai on a 1st date.

I like scotch, dark beers, martinis and other classic "guy" drinks so this isn't an issue for me.

And G&T is a gender-neutral drink. Just don't waste top-shelf gin in them. Save it for your martinis.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't imagine a truly chill woman caring about what a guy chooses to drink on a date. if your favorite drink is a mai tai, have a mai tai. it's such a silly thing to care about.

i guess if your intent is just to eff some shallow broads, order a manly drink, but if you're looking to develop a relationship with a real human being you might as well just be yourself.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, in a vacuum - but like anything else (clothes you wear, whatever) the drink you order on a date says something about you to the girl.

The OP isn't really about what guys think, it's about what their date thinks, and some of the most chill, perceptive women I know will look a little askance at a guy ordering a Mai Tai on a 1st date.

I like scotch, dark beers, martinis and other classic "guy" drinks so this isn't an issue for me.

And G&T is a gender-neutral drink. Just don't waste top-shelf gin in them. Save it for your martinis.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't imagine a truly chill woman caring about what a guy chooses to drink on a date. if your favorite drink is a mai tai, have a mai tai. it's such a silly thing to care about.

i guess if your intent is just to eff some shallow broads, order a manly drink, but if you're looking to develop a relationship with a real human being you might as well just be yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

News flash:

We're all shallow. Every single one of us. Some of us are less shallow than others, but the realm of first/early impressions & etc. is all about shallow. Tiny little aesthetic touches, like, say, whether a dude orders a mudslide, plant seeds. They vary in importance from person to person, and they may not matter later, but they certainly matter now, and you have to get 'now' at least kinda right or you'll never get to 'later.'
Old 06-14-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but I suspect that OP is just trying to get some shallow ass
Old 06-14-2007, 02:28 PM

Homer - is it any less silly than a girl judging you based on your clothes and sense of style? That's really my only point - it's a part of the total package. It's not as critical as other components obviously and I doubt it's a dealbreaker for any reasonable woman, but the "drink you order" is something most women take note of on some level. (At least for women somewhat knowledgeable about alcohol.)

Dids - hey, I don't write the rules. Haha anyway I'm pretty much an advocate of drink what you like also, it's not a big deal at the end of the day.

I think you (and FFK) make a good point - it's not really about ordering a "manly" drink, but more about not looking inexperienced or ignorant.

-Al
Old 06-14-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not really about ordering a "manly" drink, but more about not looking INSECURE

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-14-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's not really about ordering a "manly" drink, but more about not looking INSECURE

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you look insecure by ordering a drink? Stutter? "Excuse me, I don't w-w-w-ant to bother you, but c-c-ould you bring me a r-r-r-, a r-r-r-Red Bull and vodka?"
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, when it comes to a man who cannot handle his alcohol, becoming belligerent or crying in the corner... now I have definitely avoided going home with THAT guy. And it's kind of a perma-turnoff. I'll never see him in the same way again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw, man. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

News flash:

We're all shallow. Every single one of us. Some of us are less shallow than others, but the realm of first/early impressions & etc. is all about shallow. Tiny little aesthetic touches, like, say, whether a dude orders a mudslide, plant seeds. They vary in importance from person to person, and they may not matter later, but they certainly matter now, and you have to get 'now' at least kinda right or you'll never get to 'later.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, deep, man. Not every woman is so shallow as to dismiss a man for ordering a girly drink. And even if 99% are, I'd want to weed THEM out immediately.