Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there
Default Re: Are the Yankees done for the year?

I keep hearing people say things like "You can't count out a team with as much talent as the Yankees this early in the season"

I know it's just assumed at this point that the Yankees are ultra-talented...but is it possible they really just aren't? Giambi is rapidly approaching over the hill, Abreu and Damon might not be far behind. Jeter has always been overrated, and I've always thought of Cano as overrated, also.

We already know about the pitching staff, no need to mention too much about them. To raise a concern that nobody else seems to be bringing up though...Weren't Wang's peripherals indicative of a pretty lucky season last year? I keep hearing people talking as if Wang is a bona-fide ace with no doubts around him when completely healthy, but that seems like a leap to me.

The Yankees position players have gotten old, the pitchers have gone unimproved. Is it that big a stretch to think that they might not get within 5 games of the Red Sox again this season?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 PM

It is a big stretch to say that they won't get within 5 games. There is a lot of baseball still left to be played, and not to mention, a lot of BOS v. NYY baseball to be played.

Sure, some of their players might be getting old, sure, some might be overrated, but almost every one of their positional players could go to probably 25 of the other 29 teams and most likely get the starting job at whatever position they play. I also realize that all this individual talent doesn't necessarily add up to instant success or garaunteed wins, but it does mean something, especially when they are doing as badly as they are. They could be 23-20, and they'd still be getting lambasted for having a 'poor' season.

They're getting unlucky in spots, there shouldn't be any question about that. And obviously there are parts of the team that could use some help.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Wang's Ks and BB might look lucky, but the guy just pounds away down in the zone which will cause him to give up way fewer HR. Also, Paluka was telling me about a study where Wang may have the ability to selectively K guys...i.e. pitch to contact when it warrants it and go for a big K in emergency situations.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 PM

Before today, Pecota adjusted playoff odds had the Yanks at 40% chance, 4th in the AL. They lost today, and to the Sox, which pushes it down a hair, but they're not done until they're well behind a couple of WC teams.

There's simply too much strength in the lineup, Mebfiebuifb23ub3ucdbictz aside, to write them off.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 PM

A couple years ago when they started horribly, were they in worse shape then? I remember they were unbelievably hot for a while and won the division I think pretty comfortably.

They are good enough that a similar hot streak could easily happen.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple years ago when they started horribly, were they in worse shape then? I remember they were unbelievably hot for a while and won the division I think pretty comfortably.

They are good enough that a similar hot streak could easily happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

They started 11-19 on 5/6, but then won like 10 straight to be 21-19 on 5/17. They overtook Boston on May 26th at 26-21, although they were still 4.5 games back of the Orioles and tied with the Bluejays. The Red Sox were 25-21 and both teams would finish 95-67.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 PM

Put it this way. I think if the Sox win this series, the Yankees will be realllly hard-pressed to catch up, not because they won't be able to pick it up, but because short of injuries, the Sox just have a team that won't have a huge letdown.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put it this way. I think if the Sox win this series, the Yankees will be realllly hard-pressed to catch up, not because they won't be able to pick it up, but because short of injuries, the Sox just have a team that won't have a huge letdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and short of winter, hitler would have conquered russia
Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 PM

So did we ever reach a consensus on this?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:52 PM

Best bump evar?