Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Rant: People who can\'t spell

when i use spell check it usually makes me feel better then when i write something and know there are mistakes, but most of the time I am too lazy to use spell check to post stuff on 2+2.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:28 AM

I keep thinking that spell checker will make me a better speller but I just keep misspelling the same words over and over again. I suck.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 AM

I only skimmed but what bothers me perhaps more than anything is when people use of instead of have. "You should of done that already," for example.

I know that they sound either similar or identical when speaking but it's pretty basic.

Also when I'm typing a post quickly or using AIM it bugs the [censored] out of me when I make these errors.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:15 AM

I'm an excellent speller, and I used to think less of people who weren't, but I eventually started looking at it more like econophile. If the vast majority of people don't value spelling very highly when taking into account someone's intelligence, who am I to place extra importance on it just because it's something I happen to excel at?

Someone could just as easily think people who aren't good at math are dumb, and I'm not particularly good at math, so I'd be dumb. This is clearly not the case since I'm so badass and smart.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:12 PM

My roommate, who graduated from UPenn and now goes to Harvard Law, wrote in an e-mail to my friends that I spend too much time "playing the gatar." As in, the musical instrument with 6 strings. I mean, come on.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:13 PM

All,

Petifile.

Also, about fifteen years ago I had a roommate who was a college graduate. A friend of mine called me who was attending Notre Dame at the time. He left a message with my roommate, who transcribed it as "Norter Dame". Wow. This is one of many reasons I don't put a lot of stock in a college degree.

The last time I saw the ex-roommate was a year or two ago. He was parking cars as a valet for a party I was attending.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:26 PM

Spelling has a lot to do with being able to visualize a word in your mind's eye. Some people have difficulty visualizing. I know some really smart people who are poor spellers.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My roommate, who graduated from UPenn and now goes to Harvard Law, wrote in an e-mail to my friends that I spend too much time "playing the gatar." As in, the musical instrument with 6 strings. I mean, come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I misspell word on purpose all the time in messages to my friends trying to convey how I would be pronouncing the word if we were talking in person. I should hope they know I don't actually think that Christmas is spelled Kritmitt or that guitar is gee-tar.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I misspell word on purpose all the time in messages to my friends trying to convey how I would be pronouncing the word if we were talking in person. I should hope they know I don't actually think that Christmas is spelled Kritmitt or that guitar is gee-tar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that maybe he thinks that guitar is pronounced gatar, and further, that this is any better?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that maybe he thinks that guitar is pronounced gatar, and further, that this is any better?

[/ QUOTE ]

the two are pretty close, depending on where you live i guess

gih-tar
guh-tar
ga-tar

could be all the same for some