Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL RESULTS THREAD 05.16.2007***

[ QUOTE ]
whatever, it's just a dumb show that i'll forget about in 2 days after the finale.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

but wait till next year. you will start to anticipate it again, and no doubt be hooked for another season. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM

I wish it was Blake going home instead of Melinda - would have made for a more interesting, closer final.

That said, Melinda is totally mediocre. Jordin [censored] up a lot more than Melinda, but her "I Who Have Nothing" is the knockout goosebump performance that Melinda never came close to achieving.

I would have liked to see Melinda try a really big famous song like Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" or some big Celine song that everyone knows. Or [censored] "Proud Mary" instead of NutBush whatever.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM

As good a singer as Melinda is, I really had no interest in seeing her perform again by the time I had seen her two or three times. She was just very predictable, and none of her performances were particularly memorable, or displayed much personality.

On the other hand, I always found myself looking forward to Blake's performances more than anyone else's, and he almost always brought something interesting. I think this week he finally ran out of tricks, largely because of how badly his tricks "backfired" last week.

Jordin and Blake each have had a performance that will hold up as one of the most memorable in AI history...Jordin with "I Who Have Nothing" (this first time around...glad she recognized this and chose to repeat it), and Blake with "You Give Love a Bad Name". This is what you need to build a fan base that will stick with you through mediocre week. Melinda will be remembered, but her individual performances will be completely forgotten very quickly.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Forgetting about myself for a minute, I just feel sick for melinda. She blew the place away all season and gets eliminated. It is just so sad for her.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

American has no ears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folks, let's remember that Melinda will come out of this smelling like a rose. If she'd won outright, she'd be stuck with that Clive Davis "19" contract that binds the winner to a pittance for their first N albums. Second place downwards negotiate their own contracts after the fact -- many with "19", but not bound to.

Bo Bice was in the finals PRAYING that he lost (so he said) because he didn't want to be stuck with that contract. Melinda will sell a truckload of records... and now she'll be much better compensated than she would be as the "American Idol".

Not "so sad" after all.

Jester

P.S. Teenyboppers have no ears.

FYP
Old 05-18-2007, 08:05 PM

I haven't watched the last few weeks but I am still pretty shocked that Melinda lost. People made a lot of good points here though, mainly 1) she didn't sing exciting and widely recognizable songs and 2) Melinda will be fine without winning this competition. Remember Chris Daughtry came in 4th last year and broke every sales record for the first week of an album release. I actually like Blake and his style but he isn't that good of a singer and frankly I don't even think he's that good for a fit for the show (most girls who don't follow the show don't seem to find him very good looking, as far as I can tell). However I thought he was interesting and fresh, although a lot of the weeks I missed he apparantly sucked. Jordin has a lot of talent but she is still unrefined and once someone pointed out her breathing problem while singing I could hardly listen to her. She'll probably win and then go on to be the least successful of the three. I guess it's not all that different from last season but it's just a little sad that Melinda, who is SO much better than the other two at this point in her life, got the boot before the final.