Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Why Great Players Often Like My Stuff More Than Good Players

mason, what your talking about , I used to call high low, and its the reason i wont play on the internet any longer.
This seems to be happening widely, and why so many players feel something is wrong online, but just cant put their finger on it. I know this thread started somewhere else, but I'm glad you posted this so others can learn what might happen in spots. thx
Old 05-17-2007, 11:07 AM

barry g, thanks for wading into the discussion. much appreciated... and i have to concur with the other poster saying how concise and informative your responses are. really cut to the "heart of the matter". it's probably one reason you are so successful.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly can't think of a single really impressive poker player who is a strong enthusiast of 2+2 books.

[/ QUOTE ]
When Howard Lederer was teaching Annie Duke to play poker, the first thing he did was send several of Sklansky's books to her.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Howard was teaching Annie, 90% of the poker books available today weren't written, and 75% of today's players were in elementary school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slight exaggeration. HEFAP, TOP, 7CSFAP, HiLo FAP, TPFAP, etc. existed in the 80s, early 90s. Not too shabby a library to get started with.

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument, but you missed my point entirely. At the time, Sklansky's books dominated the marketplace. These days (or a few years ago when Sebok was getting started), there are many more to choose from, including many more from 2p2. If you're looking for books to help you TODAY, then Barry's choices are much more relevant than Howard's in this context.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, I now regret that he started playing limit hold'em instead of no-limit. I never knew he would turn into a decent tournament player. Many times I feel he makes mistakes that limit players make:

1) calling normal sized bets with a draw on the turn.
2) calling on the river with an obvious calling hand in limit (top pair or better) but not realizing it's not worth the call against a solid no-limit player.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

I see similar problems when NL players start playing limit games, particularly stud ones. A specific one is considering laying down a marginal hand on the river against a laggy player to save a bet getting 10:1 odds. Maybe it's not the players that are lacking so much as the tournaments. I prescribe more limit tourneys [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Indeed I did miss your point. My bad.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed I did miss your point. My bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

NP. At least Barry replied to my post [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]