Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

[ QUOTE ]
Could you give me a link to this chart?
Is it troublesome that I have never heard of or seen this chart, yet I'm playing $114s and $225s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold it today for $100. Used to sell it for more but I don't play SnGs anymore really. It's not worth a ton (ie it probably change your playing style in SnGs very much if at all), but it does have some relatively interesting theoretical information, especially when dealing with the difference between an ante and non ante pot.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Signing up for ICC, it's asking if I have a promotion code... hey, what am I getting into? Is there rakeback?

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]if there were i would be a billionere [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ok..Q:

blinds 50/100 you have button and t1350, avg 1500,and folded to you
1) A9
2) 55
...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my chart pretty much gives the answer to that. Folding is terrible in both cases. I'd definitely push the 55. You can consider raising to like 250 with the A9o if you have relatively tight guys in the blinds who will only resteal with dominating hands. However even open pushing is not terrible.

So against trickier opponents I would usually just open push, as I don't want to race against some guy restealing with 44. Against tight and very unimaginative opponents I would usually raise to 250-300 and fold to a reraise.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and for SnGs spend more time learning purely mathematical situations...for instance there is no excuse for you to not have the K+S chart memorized. If I ask you the K+S number for something like Q6s, you should be able to almost immediately give a reasonably close estimation.

why is this important? what would be an example of a purely mathematical situation?

thx-

[/ QUOTE ]

Headsup play, you have 10x BB and are dealt Q6s. It shouldn't require any thought to realize that this is an unexploitable push. Given that it's also almost certain to be +EV anywhere from at minimum of 13-15 BBs, as your opponents will almost never call with weak kings and maybe fold some aces and stronger queens. Of course you do have other options that include limping or raising less preflop. However having the mathematical knowledge helps you to quickly decide what to do and judge the merits of each play.

For instance if you know that its unexploitable with 11x BB, and you have 13-15, you can very quickly be certain that its going to be a +EV push against pretty much any opponent. Already knowing that it's +EV helps you a lot more than knowing it might be +EV. Then you have to judge that against calling/standard raising and etc etc.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and for SnGs spend more time learning purely mathematical situations...for instance there is no excuse for you to not have the K+S chart memorized. If I ask you the K+S number for something like Q6s, you should be able to almost immediately give a reasonably close estimation.

why is this important? what would be an example of a purely mathematical situation?

thx-

[/ QUOTE ]

its not important. memorizing these #s isn't necessary. Just play a lot and use SNGPT and get a feel for the situations where u should be pushing late. memorization will get in the way of higher level thinkig. just get a feel for the right situations and don't sweat every fraction of every number.
-Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Its true that you don't need to know exact numbers. A good estimation is what I mentioned. Like if you said the K+S number in terms of BB's for Q6s was 10 or 13 that would be fine. It's not like a big disaster either way and still gives you a relatively accurate framework to work from. However if you think the number is 7-8 or 15-16 then you really have a problem.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would never spend that much time memorizing a chart. learn to play, then profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its totally worthless, my instant knowledge of the values of hands headsup while playing has never helped me at all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to rank all poker software in order of importance, how would that order go? (Concerning SNGs only)

[/ QUOTE ]

SNGPT
auto-timebank when it existed (for heavy multitablers)
PAHUD

What else is there I forget? Whatever it is probably not so important. My chart was v useful for me and I generally always had it open while playing as a quick cheatsheet if a decision seemed close. Like if I had ATo in some spot that seemed close, I could look at it quickly and doublecheck what the theoretical number was if called by all better hands. Helped me to make an accurate decision quickly.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, my question: Curtains, do you remember the anecdote I referenced?

[/ QUOTE ]

No but Im really good at that.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on my hands and strategy posts, and what you know of my results*, do you have any guess as to why I seem to be mediocre at SNGs?

* FYI - 12% ROI over a few K $60s, steady decline to breakeven over the next few K, to ugly loser over the last few K. Oh yeah, I have a -5% ROI over 1500 $114s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly you do seem to have a lot of holes/weaknesses. Always felt you make sit and go's out to be a lot more complicated than they are, and doing too many weird fancy things, giving your opponents too much credit and etc.

Even more troubling than this is your tendency to tilt and play at stakes higher than those you should. I know you went busto at some point going crazy with the end of your bankroll. Such behavior should be very very troubling for a poker player.

I'm not sure offhand what the solution is. If you don't have a firm history of success at Sit and Gos, I think it's clear that you should try another game, as sit and gos are only getting more difficult. If I had to guess I'd say that MTT's are more suited to your game, although you still probably need to learn a few things about how to think about poker.

Main keys are to not overestimate your opponents, not to overthink simple situations, not to get involved with weak/mediocre hands on a regular basis, and for SnGs spend more time learning purely mathematical situations...for instance there is no excuse for you to not have the K+S chart memorized. If I ask you the K+S number for something like Q6s, you should be able to almost immediately give a reasonably close estimation. Not sure if you would be able to do this? This is just my quick feeling when thinking back upon some of your posts.

I think you may also gain a lot by experimenting with a VERY tight preflop style for a bit, at least until the blinds get high and you need to steal. But basically yea, I'd suggest switching to MTTs. There is money to be made there too. I don't suggest cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw one more note because this post may sound a bit mean. Basically my point is that the following seem to be true:

1. You seem to want to play poker creatively
2. You seem to have occasional issues with tilt/bankroll management

In my opinion it's best for someone who fits the above categories to play solely MTTs. A good example of this may be lacky, although he doesn't suffer from #2 I think. However he has stated a few times how he just had trouble dealing with the robotic passive weaktightish style of sit and go's, and I get the sense that it's not ideal for you either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks curtains. I think some of this stuff is wag guessing (as I asked for) that hits the mark, and some maybe doesn't. But I deeply appreciate all the time and thought you put into it. It wasn't easy for me to make my post and I can tell you took it seriously. Thanks again.

Also just FYI - my one $21k blowout was when I was had just *won* a ton and was completely blotto. I feel fairly confident this was a one time thing. But I guess you never know. I never go bananas when I'm losing. But I do have a tendency to not know when to move down, lower my # of tables, or take a break, which can obviously exsacerbate my losing streaks. But I just wanted to clarify I didn't blow my roll from downswing tilt.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:43 AM

ok i'm a little drunk, but not nearly as drunk as last time.

i'm going through a rap // hip hop stage in my music life.

i have found that there is a strong similarity to the messages they're sending and the life that all of the online poker ppls have been living. true/false ?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:41 AM

microbet

LOOK WHO IS A HUGE FAN OF NASH EQUILIBRIUM NOW!! LOL I REMEMBER WHEN YOU ARGUED WITH ME ABOUT IT BEING SO MEH AND NOT HELPFUL.

SUCK ON THAT MICROJACKASS!

Yugoslav