Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Re: *The Gym* Health and Fitness (and how you can lose weight, fatso)

I think i should look better than i do - i think my weight is fine for my height (5'4", 133lbs) but i definitely need definition.

However, I am not currently one of those people who wants the hassle of watching my diet or subscribing to a gym. So, assuming the options i have are a) yoga b) sit ups, press ups, c) tennis (there's a court in my village) and d) swimming, what do people think the best way for me to look more toned in 3 months is? hours/day or days/week.

Or should i stick with not really giving a damn? Actually, this post is asking for a lot and not offering anything in return. So whatever, if someone has an idea for fine-sized-but-could-look-more-cut-but-is-apathetic people fire it out there.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

• Lift heavy weights for mass, light weights more often for tone. Lifting heavy weights is the best way to maximize your workout in the gym, get your heart rate going, and help your body burn fat. Lifting heavy weights will increase your overall body tone, power, and strength, while multiple reps of lighter weight will only serve to increase endurance. This is not really what you want if you want to lose weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth (given that I opened this thread, you didn't force me to read it), but why should we believe you about that? Where is your source? I subscribe to two women's fitness magazines and they pretty much stick to low weight, high reps for tone. they do agree that weight training is helful to supplement cardio, FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are just telling women what they want to hear to get continued business.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Peter Harris,

There really is no hope. Sorry but reality is reality. You essentially asked: "I like playing poker, but I'm to lazy to become a student of it. And calling is better than folding anyway. Should I limp QTo in EP or should I raise with it?"
Old 02-24-2007, 11:37 PM

don't worry, 98% of the population shares your attitude and that is why you see all the ab machines and diet pills on the tv ads all the time.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:46 PM

Peter,

If you can work up to an hour a day of swimming 4 days a week you will be more toned in 3 months. Of the choices you listed, that is going to do the most good, but really, it's such a hassle just switch to diet soda and you'll do great.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 AM

I'll go ahead and out myself as Bruiser's "friend" that told him 5-rep sets are better for building muscle and 20-rep sets are better for lactic acid tolerance, endurance, and cardio training. I was trying to explain the difference between squatting heavy with low reps and squatting lighter with high reps, and why you would want to go with a certain rep range depending on what your goals are. I wouldn't recommend that he do 20-rep sets often, but it would be good to throw that in there every now and then.

I also think it's very possible that Bruiser misinterpreted what I said. Or that I said some goofy [censored]. I was kind of drunk when I talked to him.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I am not currently one of those people who wants the hassle of watching my diet or subscribing to a gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, come on. Are you joking?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:34 AM

eregeregegehfgehhgehgehgejhg
Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 AM

kerowo, 1C5, kyleb,

I am brokeass poor from uni and can't afford the membership fees of gyms in this area, so that's out. And as for watching my diet, I do make most of my stuff fresh (we get an organic veg delivery once a week and my dry cupboard is full of brown rice/wholemeal bread).

I will never get suckered into diet pills, and i don't want an "Ash Ketchum" patented 6-pack (lol), so I was really just asking if a little bit of swimming and yoga will do.

Call me the "other side" to this thread; those who look fine, could look better but wonder if it's worth the effort. It's a cross between a joke and playing devil's advocate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 11:55 AM

Here is the key to all your working out and eating needs. Go to a site called t-nation and read free articles by Chris Shugart and John Berardi for eating advice and Charles Poliquin for training advice