Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: poker story

[ QUOTE ]
snowbank,
I used to really kick your ass at party 200nl, but over the past couple months I have found you to be the most annoying pain in the ass to play against of anyone at stars 200nl. nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? I almost never play Stars 200nl game. I may have played it a handful of times over the last few months when I didn't feel like playing my normal game and just needed change of scenary but I have barely played any hands of Stars 200nl. I recently cleared a Stars bonus and decided to stay there for a bit to check out the $400nl games, but before that I hadn't been on Stars in a long time.

What was your Party sn???
Old 02-06-2007, 01:50 AM

Default Re: The Well: Snowbank

[ QUOTE ]
100bb effective, you open on button with 22-88, bb 3bets you. he is a standardish tag say 20/17 that 3bets somewhat light, which pairs you are calling with?

longest breakeven?

winrates at 100nl, 200nl, and 400nl?

net amt made from poker?

# of hands played total?

sry if these were asked before going to read thread now.

[/ QUOTE ]

small-mid pocket pairs can be tough sometimes. Used to be able to call off with any pair knowing if you flopped a set you would stack the guy, but these days with much more light 3 betting, less donks, etc... it depends heavily on the player. Sometimes I call with any, if player 3bets light a lot, and/or if I want to make a play postflop.

Longest breakeven stretch- total guess, but maybe 30-40k hands. I posted a bit about it earlier in the thread, back in November had a bad downswing, etc... I think I was around even for that month, but didn't play a ton cause I was tilting a lot when I played.

winrates- hard to say(don't use pt so can't just bring up the stats) 100 and 400 I have real small samples. I can give you a real good idea of 200nl for me- january of last year- ran at like 0 ptbb/100(maybe even negative because I remember I was around breakeven for the month after rakeback). february ran at 3.99 ptbb/100( I remember that exactly) march thru april(didn't play much- probably around the same winrate- 4ish) changed my game up around june, and started winning around 6 or so. I can't remember if it was August, or September or so, not really sure.... changed my game again and ran at like 10+ptbb/100 over like 100,000+ hands. Winter thru now, been in the 7-10ptbb/100 range for the most part. 400nl I've only been playing for about 2 weeks. I was running around 4-5 for a bit, but just had my first 400nl downswing so I'm probably around like 2.5-3ptbb/100 right now, but over a real small sample, and it'll be higher long term.

net amount- Dunno, decent amount

hands played- lots. hundreds of thousands. Dunno how many exactly. I'm going to play 100,000 this month or I owe carrot $1k.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:53 AM

Two microhand questions:

Snowbank, You are a TAG 20/15/3. Your against a 20/12/2 (assume Attention to steal ~19%).

50NL, Eff. Stacks $50
Preflop:
Tag opens CO to 1.75, u call in BB.
Flop: K42r

Whats the best line here and why with 99?

Another hand, your about 20/15/3-4 (I dunno what stats he had on me). Villian is 14/9/5 (270 hands mined), with 8 AF on flop. 19% Att. to steal. Its at UB and they have a bet pot button.

Stacks $50
Preflop:
Villian opens CO to 1.75, Hero 3-bets to 6.50, villian calls

Flop KTTr: (Pot $13.25)
I lead $9, villian raises $25

Did I [censored] this one up? Whats his range and what should I do? Hand in white, not sure how relevant it is, prefer you thought of answer then looked: <font color="white"> AQo </font>
Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 AM

thx for doing this snowbank

im just starting to play, about 3 months of hard study and lots of hands. Do you find useful for a 25NL to hire a coach? [dont ask me how a uNLer would pay for the coaching =P ]
or its better for him to just immerse in posts at the uNL board?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 AM

Not sure if this was already answered (and if it was I'm sorry) but did you ever have that aha! moment where everything just started to click and make more sense? If so, what was that moment?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two microhand questions:

Snowbank, You are a TAG 20/15/3. Your against a 20/12/2 (assume Attention to steal ~19%).

50NL, Eff. Stacks $50
Preflop:
Tag opens CO to 1.75, u call in BB.
Flop: K42r

Whats the best line here and why with 99?

Another hand, your about 20/15/3-4 (I dunno what stats he had on me). Villian is 14/9/5 (270 hands mined), with 8 AF on flop. 19% Att. to steal. Its at UB and they have a bet pot button.

Stacks $50
Preflop:
Villian opens CO to 1.75, Hero 3-bets to 6.50, villian calls

Flop KTTr: (Pot $13.25)
I lead $9, villian raises $25

Did I [censored] this one up? Whats his range and what should I do? Hand in white, not sure how relevant it is, prefer you thought of answer then looked: <font color="white"> AQo </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

The first hand, there's a million different lines you could use. Against an unknown(first time playing a pot with someone for the day(keep in mind I don't use pt, but do understand those numbers a bit), I may 3 bet pf there. Otherwise, if I just call I may call flop and see what he does on turn/river, before I start mixing it up a lot on someone I like to know what they're playing with against me.

Hand 2 looks totally fine to me. Again, I don't use pt so maybe some people wouldn't 3 bet someone that tight, but again it's a small sample and I like your play there(assuming you folded to his raise obviously) Looks good
Old 02-06-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thx for doing this snowbank

im just starting to play, about 3 months of hard study and lots of hands. Do you find useful for a 25NL to hire a coach? [dont ask me how a uNLer would pay for the coaching =P ]
or its better for him to just immerse in posts at the uNL board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Satori,

No problem.

I would probably put in a lot of hands/review a lot of hands yourself first. I'd also find good players and search for posts they made in hand discussion threads. 25nl is very easy, so with a little work you should be able to beat it. I'd want to at least have a base if I were you since you probably are on a tight bankroll, so that when you spend some of that bankroll to get a coach, you can get as much out of your money as you can. You wouldn't want to pay good money for a coach if they taught you what to raise, etc... However, if you find a good uNLer who you know is a winning player and able to help you for $10/hr or something, sure, hire him and speed up your learning curve. A lot of the stuff you'll need is all over the forum though. gl
Old 02-06-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this was already answered (and if it was I'm sorry) but did you ever have that aha! moment where everything just started to click and make more sense? If so, what was that moment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, probably not. I slowly kept getting better and better after playing a ton of hands/reviewing a ton of my play, etc.... I'm not one of the guys who logged in with $100 one day and was killing 5/10 2 months later.

I always try and think of new things to try, so I guess I think of a lot of "aha" type things, but nothing mindblowing or anything, just new lines to try, new things that work, etc.... Everything I learn that helps me get a little bit better.(So not really a big moment, just little things each day/week/month that I try to improve on)
Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 AM

Do you consider yourself a very competitive person? What are some other competitive pursuits you have engaged in, and did they influence your poker journey in any way?

Just wondering cos I have a fairly similar poker history to you in terms of staying at the 200/400 level because it was all about money rather than being/beating the best, but I am somewhat ironically, actually a very competitive person, as are most people willing to put in the time to get decent at poker I think. Also to crush poker day in and day out obviously has to take some sort of drive to play very well all the time...

For me I got it out of my system on some other competitive pursuits that weren't for money, so when poker became my main focus it was all about low stress cash - 200/hr with my eyes closed seemed fine. Curious if you have other outlets for competitiveness?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you consider yourself a very competitive person? What are some other competitive pursuits you have engaged in, and did they influence your poker journey in any way?

Just wondering cos I have a fairly similar poker history to you in terms of staying at the 200/400 level because it was all about money rather than being/beating the best, but I am somewhat ironically, actually a very competitive person, as are most people willing to put in the time to get decent at poker I think. Also to crush poker day in and day out obviously has to take some sort of drive to play very well all the time...

For me I got it out of my system on some other competitive pursuits that weren't for money, so when poker became my main focus it was all about low stress cash - 200/hr with my eyes closed seemed fine. Curious if you have other outlets for competitiveness?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, seabeast; definitely. always been really active/competitive athletically my entire life, so pretty competitive there. definitely see where you're coming from there. i think i'm probably the same way(ie. being the best basketball player i could be when i was competitive in that, but with poker was okay with just printing money instead of trying to be "the best")

A part of me wants to take a chance and try and jump up thru the limits real fast and become a high stakes player to be one of the best, and another part of me realizes that being the best/one of the best smaller/middle stakes players on net is more than enough satisfaction for me, even though a part of me is unfulfilled since I know I'm not seeing if I could get to the top.

As I think I've mentioned before in some posts(maybe not in "the well" but in other posts of mine) I use poker as a source to fund my business/investing goals. So I'm competitive there, and in the big picture not looking at poker as the main goal, which is why I think I'm okay with not doing whatever it takes to get to the top of the poker world quickest, and instead focusing on some goals I've set for myself outside of poker, and using poker to help me reach those goals.
Closed Thread