Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Phil Ivey Gossip

Nh apefish. Well put.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
apefish is 100% accurate with his analysis of the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I agree.

I think the fact that this is Ivey rather than someone with a less than stellar reputation is skewing some people's judgement.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll also point out that the odd pool player has found himself in real danger of being killed in this exact type of scenario. I'm sure Phil doesn't have to worry about that with the guys he was playing, but if the story is true he should be careful in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ex-girlfriend's scumbag father got both of his arms broken at a pool hall in East St. Louis in this exact type of scenario.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:07 PM

This is probably a dumb question but I don't have any experience with golf bets.
So how do you give somebody 10 strokes when you are playing hole by hole? The 10 strokes apply to a whole round right?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably a dumb question but I don't have any experience with golf bets.
So how do you give somebody 10 strokes when you are playing hole by hole? The 10 strokes apply to a whole round right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You get an extra stroke on the 10 toughest holes ... the holes on all courses are rated that way. For example, if, on the toughest hole, you par and I bogie, we push the hole (the rules of our wager determining what a push means). Same on the next 9 toughest holes.

As to the "rumor" (1) it seems that a party to the bet has confirmed exactly what happened. While it could still be his side of the story, it has gone somewhat beyond mere gossip. (2) I agree that this is beyond get the better of someone else in a wager. You just don't lie about handicaps in the way Ivy did. I think it is likely that he may not understand that "rules" of the game in that he hasn't played for that long and comes from a different world where he might see what he did as getting an edge. But, that just isn't the way that golf wagering works where the aggrieved parties asked the correct questions to protect their interests. Note that they said they were having a hard time agreeing to the conditions of the wager and it didn't look as if the wager was going to go off UNTIL Ivy said that Eric gave him 10 strokes. That really takes it for me assuming the story has been correctly reported.

NCAces
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

And why wouldn't Ivey just "slow down" the bleeding process when playing Erik and Ram? He could just barely beat them, instead of crushing them....
Old 01-30-2007, 03:13 PM

Perfectly stated Apefish.

If Marc's statement is true, the fact that Ivey negotiated a no mid-round adjustment clause certainly points to Ivey's intention to completely mislead and try to score a big one-time win against his opponents. Maybe he saw an opportunity to win a large bet which would not be available later after most people became aware of his improved game.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL at you not reading Marc's version of events that confirm the broad base of the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read "Mr Cool's" version of events. Just cause someone posted on an obscure internet message board that he is someone doenst make it so. I'm pretty sure you have a fat shaft, though.

This is what's called heresay. You don't have a clue if ANY of this is true, yet definitively call him a cheat. Nice work.

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at you for failing to understand the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does me calling you a moran over unfounded accusations have to do with my understanding of golf and golf gambling?

Never mind, continue on with the hyperbole.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blonde is one of the biggest if not the biggest poker sites in Europe. Marc is a shareholder alongside people like Dave Colclough, Harry Demitreou and huge UK TV celebrity Tony Kendall.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL at you not reading Marc's version of events that confirm the broad base of the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read "Mr Cool's" version of events. Just cause someone posted on an obscure internet message board that he is someone doenst make it so. I'm pretty sure you have a fat shaft, though.

This is what's called heresay. You don't have a clue if ANY of this is true, yet definitively call him a cheat. Nice work.

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at you for failing to understand the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does me calling you a moran over unfounded accusations have to do with my understanding of golf and golf gambling?

Never mind, continue on with the hyperbole.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blonde is one of the biggest if not the biggest poker sites in Europe. Marc is a shareholder alongside people like Dave Colclough, Harry Demitreou and huge UK TV celebrity Tony Kendall.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I´m european and I had never heard of this Blonde Poker and neither had any of my friends who are all regular players and have been for years.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 PM

this isn't a hustle, it's a lie. Ivey was asked how much he'd been playing and lied about it.

Bet is void.