Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think living in Uruguay would provide a similar living experience in terms of prices etc. to the one you've described in this thread?

How about Chile?

If a magic force field appeared over BA and you couldn't ever enter it, what is the one city/region of Argentina you'd choose that is most similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is one in Argentina. The city is just too big compared to the rest of the country. I've never been there so this is totally pulling it out of my ass, but if I HAD to choose a city in SA, I'd go with Santiago.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To people who live or have lived in Buenos Aires... What do you guys do down there? Do you just chill out all day and sit in cafes or did you get jobs, volunteer work?

[/ QUOTE ]

My typical day involves getting up and taking care of stupid crap for an hour, going to Spanish class for 2 hours between 1-3pm, eat some lunch at a cafe either before or after, either play a few hours of poker or taking care of some errands I need to get done, drink some mate, come back and play some more poker until about 10pm. Then I usually either go out to a restaurant with friends and then possibly to someone's house or a bar/club after or I just eat alone and veg out relaxing. Occasionally, I'll go out to some sort of show before dinner like a few nights ago I saw a free jazz concert at the Plaza de Mayo; other possibilities include catching a movie or some form of theatre production. Once in a while, grab some friends in the middle of the day and hit the Palermo parks for a picnic, some sun, and some mate. Weekends are completely up in the air and never seem to be the same.

[ QUOTE ]
Also what are your experiences with tango dancing!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a tango instructor, but I have neither taken classes nor seen a show. Mostly because I don't feel my back is good enough yet for classes and the best shows aren't the touristy stage ones, but the impromptu dancing that goes on in tango clubs and I wouldn't feel comfortable there if I wasn't going to dance. I'm sure I'll be getting into this in a month or two after getting my Spanish a bit stronger. I'll probably try to catch a stage show at some point before then just to see it.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To people who live or have lived in Buenos Aires... What do you guys do down there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to work for 30 to 40hrs a week, sometimes more. 2pm to 10pm on the laptop, grinding.

Typical day is very lazy.

Up at around 11am, nip down to the nearest restaurant (30sec walk) for coffee, juice and pastries (ubiquitous breakfast here). Cost $1.50USD.

Buy newspapers, Clarin (Spanish) and BA Herald (English).

Chill by the pool and read for a couple of hours. During the week the pool is empty until around 5pm.

Poker.

Evenings vary from quality time with gf, to walking/window shopping and eating out and meeting with friends.

There are 3 gyms within 10mins walk of my apt.

Open/peaceful green spaces are at a premium in the city, though there are Plazas dotted around. 10min subway journey for me to Plaza Italia.

Cinema 5 min walk. Pool hall opposite (above the supermarket Coto).

Uninspiring stuff.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a magic force field appeared over BA and you couldn't ever enter it, what is the one city/region of Argentina you'd choose that is most similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar? There is nothing sinilar to BA in Argentina. Aprrox 30million total population, nearly 50% of them living in BA.

Mendoza is a pretty nice city.

San Rafael, a small town in the Province of Mendoza is very charming. Great climate and great views of The Andes. There are 'Fincas' (small farms) everywhere. Most of Argentinas grapes (hennce wine) come from this Province.

Also, Bariloche in Patagonia is amazing. Stunning mountains and lakes, pristine. Check it out on google earth if you can. Total contrast to BA.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:06 PM

What are a couple of things that you have noticed, which are very different from America? Something that when you saw it or did it, you just couldn't believe it. I know bribing the police would seem amazing to me.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are a couple of things that you have noticed, which are very different from America? Something that when you saw it or did it, you just couldn't believe it. I know bribing the police would seem amazing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from the UK but....

It took a couple of weeks to adjust to the typical level of customer service here. For e.g. going to the Kiosko to buy smokes, if the owner is chatting with a friend expect to be ignored until the conversation is over. Don't expect a smile or a thankyou. It's almost as if you're a pain in the a$$ and he'd rather you weren't there. I used to get pissed off and walk out to spend my money elsewhere. Water off a ducks back now.

As for the cops, I've only had one incident a year ago. My visa had expired by a week (50 peso fine at the airport, absolutely no problems with returning etc). There was a domestic in my building, the cops came knocking to see if I heard or seen anything. As soon as they realised I was a gringo they wanted to see my papers and have a good look around. One cop took me into the hall and basically said "what are you going to do to help us out?". 100 pesos solved the problem. Never offer a bribe, wait for it to be hinted.

Oh, and kissing guys when you meet them was a little weird at first. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and kissing guys when you meet them was a little weird at first. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only do this with Argentine guys (not extranjeros), yet I do it with all girls.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only do this with Argentine guys (not extranjeros), yet I do it with all girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any extranjero tries to kiss me and I'm getting out of there. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Wohoo! Found the thread. Thought it disappeared into a black hole. Lots of excellent information in this thread.

I'll be down in BA first full week of March. Met, Audi, or anyone else, if you guys want to get together for a beer, drinks are on me.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any extranjero tries to kiss me and I'm getting out of there. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I do this with every extranjera. And it seems to be the standard. I'm not sure why except everyone is a homophobe.