Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Hand vs. Alan Cunningham at Borgata Poker Open

As for the preflop raise, you are making a steal. You are representing atleast AQ or 99. Since you don't have them, it doesn't matter too much what you have. Any suited gapper or even random suited cards are OK, as are weak unsuited high cards. I wouldn't do it with 72o or something though.

Your plan is to take the pot preflop or with a cbet. If not, maybe you connect with the board. 43s has great deception, which makes up somewhat for it being weaker than a real suited connector.

This is like a steal raise or resteal in that your cards are not that important.

Now I might call a raise with 98s, but I wouldn't with 43s, 85s, KTo, T8o or whatever, but they are all fine stealing hands.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If true, his play seems supersolid. I guess like some people get away with playing LAG by playing well, he gets away with playing tight by playing well.

Did you tell him what you had?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. Learned from that mistake at the WSOP ME where I showed every bluff ever. I figured showing AC could only hurt me.

Funny thing is, Ted Forrest was really curious and kept badgering me after the hand was over. He was pretty spot on with his first guess though: "So, did you have a set, or some kinda goofy two pair?"

[/ QUOTE ]
So Ted Forest had a perfect read on you. It looks like AC did too. Half pot flop, 3/5 pot turn, 3/5 pot river. Looks like value betting. Raising 2/3 pot to pot on the flop in much better since you intend to bet the rest of the streets. It looks less like a big hand. Also, it builds the pot more and has more chance of winning the pot while your hand is still ahead.

Also, you are 73% against villain's hand, which is typical of what you expect to be up against, but you have negative implied odds. So you want to win the hand on the flop or turn.

I would bet out strongly on both the flop and turn. I don't mind taking the pot on the turn, since AC probably has 8 outs on the river with his over pair.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It has to go beyond playing it for set value.

[/ QUOTE ]Why do we not like limping behind playing for set value?