Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 03:37 AM

Default Re: What is AC?

[ QUOTE ]
Lol. So let me get this straight, you demand to know how private road ownership could work, and then when I describe it, you say it's an assertion? So if it doesn't exist, it can't exist, and we must have the benevolent angels of government put down asphalt for us?

[/ QUOTE ] Notice the key word: it could work that way. Why would it actually work that way? Why didn't it work that way when it was privatized before? Why must it work that way? You simply gave me a best case scenario just so story.

I could say: the government could suddenly start to pay of its debt tomorrow by cutting back spending drastically for all of eternity. Yet that wouldn't convince you.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:15 AM

This is probably the 8th time I posted this, each time I post it you ignore it, except for the one time you called me a fanatical goon.

In anarchocapitalism, you can have voluntary goverments.
For instance a good businessmen may realize that the market is failing to produce some goods.
He then decides to build a town.
He buys X acres, gets in contact with a good road providor, he gets in contact with a good court system,etc.
He decides that he will have the monopoly of some goods in his town because he can provide them better than the market, in this case roads and court system.
He also decides to charge some taxes, some of the money goes for him and some of the money is spent on social stuff because the last market study they made showed that people are upset because of poverty. Anyway this businessmen also hires an excellent economist.
That way his town gets under way.

Ok now another businessmen realizes that there is this fellow that is doing preety good with his town, however the other town has a few problems.
he buys X acres, 100 miles away from the other town.
The market study shows that the other town court system isnt that good. So he offers his town but with a better court system.

Do you get it this time????
Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, it is simply more profitable to not use violence or steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I do not see why. See, I(and a whole ton of other people just like me) just came and took everything you thought was yours, along with everyone else's. I find that to be a pretty profitable day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay all get together and invade Bolivia??

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they hate each other and Bolivia isn't worth it.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:37 AM

They do hate each other but... they seem to have a commerce pact

Why dont they simply inavde each other?? Why doesnt the strongest country simply wipe all the other countries out?
Gee, and all this time I thought that in AC powerful ppl were going to wipe weak ppl, maybe that stuff borodog was saying that its not profitable to engage in violence its true!! And hey it seems that he was right when he was telling us all that stuff about cooperation.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another great example is vaccinations. If everybody doesn't get them the diseases will come back or the vaccines ineffective in some cases; in others the elderly and other at risk groups are put at great risk if children do not get di and many parents will be too poor/selfish/crazy religionish etc. to get them for their child or self.

Their is nothing to force children to get these vaccines in AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

As one of my colleagues point out:

"Physician Harold Buttram wrote recently that "from 1911 to 1935 the four leading causes of childhood deaths from infectious diseases in the US were diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), scarlet fever, and measles. However, by 1945 the combined death rates from these causes had declined by 95 percent, before the implementation of mass immunization programs." Better living conditions, hygiene, and sanitation--the results of a market economy providing what people need--had much more to do with the decline in mortality than anything government did."
Old 11-12-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This situation has everything to do with the free rider problem. If the person doesn't have insurance, doesn't want insurance, and never even calls the fire company to ask them to put it out, they will still have to do it in order to avoid having the whole block start on fire.

Unless in AC land private companies can force individuals to pay for something they did not ask for, this is a classic free-rider problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
A and B often benefit, it is held, if they can force C into doing something... any argument proclaiming the right and goodness of, say, three neighbors, who yearn to form a string quartet, forcing a forth neighbor at bayonet point to learn and play the viola, is hardly deserving of a sober comment.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point was to respond to V's post about it not being a free rider problem

[/ QUOTE ]

This line of attack is a denunciation of the recipient of a “gift.” The recipient is denounced as a “free rider,” as a man who wickedly enjoys the “unearned increment” of the productive actions of others. This, too, is a curious line of attack...here we have a situation where A’s actions, taken purely because they benefit himself, also have the happy effect of benefiting someone else. Are we to be indignant because happiness is being diffused throughout society? Are we to be critical because more than one person benefits from someone’s actions? After all, the free rider did not ask for his ride. He received it, unasked, as a boon because A benefits from his own action. To adopt this line of attack is to call in the gendarmes to apply punishment because too many people in the society are happy.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:04 PM

Yes, benefit is diffused. That has nothing to do with the fact that every person has incentive to be that free-rider. If everyone wants to be the free-rider, where is the fire department supposed to get the funds it needs to even exist?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
borodog,

The AC argument is a very interesting one. Although is there really such a need to be such a jerk through out the entire thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Propertarian brings it out in me. That's no excuse of course.

I also have a raging cold at the moment, which is also no excuse, but it's put me in a particularly bad mood.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:21 PM

read my town post.