Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Marty Schottenheimer fired

[ QUOTE ]
You evidently didn't read my post, or misinterpreted the intent. I never said he made a huge mistake. I said it turns out that the decision appears to at least be ok. My point was simply that letting go of a legitimate pro-bowl caliber quarterback to start an untested commodity (untested in the context of no complete seasons under his belt starting, etc) is conceptually a mistake. Look at how rare a truly good starting quarterback is and you will understand my point. It turns out that this decision is ok....but just for a minute lets consider what would have happened IF he had turned out to be either bad, or just average....then everyone would be calling him an idiot for doing exactly what he did. My point was on the concept.

[/ QUOTE ]
An what if Peyton Manning was out of the league and Ryan Leaf just won the superbowl?

Your "what if" talk is just dumb.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 PM

I guess we'll see won't we? They didn't make the superbowl with what appeared to be the "best team in the league." The blame isn't all Marty. The players have to play don't they? I guess we'll see how they do next year without Marty, since their not making the superbowl is all their fault. I live in Houston. We'd be ecstatic with a 14-2 team even if they don't make the superbowl. SD fans don't know how good they had it. Let's see what happens now that they get a coach not good enough to get hired by all the other teams, and no assistants.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:19 PM

Someone should hire Marty now.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it now appears abundantly clear that Schottenheimer needed neither sympathy nor support. If you step back, connect the dots and color in the outline with comments from people in and around the situation, it becomes obvious that Schottenheimer's firing was not the brainchild of club President Dean Spanos, but likely the master plan of Schottenheimer himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

web page

I just thought it was interesting.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 AM

First you said, " AJ picked Rivers and he wanted his guy to play...that's really the only reason".

Now you say, "My point on the Rivers thing, which was apparently wasted on you was that he wanted his guy to play"

The thing that I took issue with originally, and it really couldn't be more clear from what I said, was that there were a lot of reasons to pick Rivers over Brees. Its like a poker decision. It was close, with good arguments on both sides. You said personal reasons were "the only reason" AJ could have relied upon. I disagreed and gave about a dozen reasons to pick Rivers over Brees (I could give you about the same to stay with the vet). BTW, I don't appreciate your "apparently wasted on you" arrogance, but I chalk it up to insecurity.

Fassil said he would LOVE the job. His other point was that he said ANY coach would LOVE the SD job, contradicting what you said about coaches not wanting to coach the talent-laded team. That is, he was speaking not just about himself, but he was speaking for the coaching fraternity in general.

Its not lost on the coaches that the Chargers have a lot of young talent locked up under long term contracts. Singletary and Rivera both commented on what a great situation this is. Its not like the Raider gig, like you said. In SD you can win, in OAK you can't

Again, I don't appreciate the spitting coffee comment. You think you know more about head coach's mindset than Jim Fassil? I guess so since you think you know more about who should start at QB for Chargers than AJ Smith. Get over yourself, you're just a fan.

"Seems like Brees was able to win the big games this year. He did it with arguably WAY less talent than Rivers had around him, and he was able to make it to the championship game. Where was Rivers' talent in the 4th quarter of the game vs the Pats"

The point was Brees couldn't win the big game with the Bolts. I made this point to show that there were other reasons which led to AJ picking Rivers. You said personal reasons were "REALLY THE ONLY REASON". Now you bring up some RESULT ORIENTED CRAP and use it out of context. What happened this year is irrelevant in the AJ decision to trade Brees. Get it?

But since you mentioned that Brees had less talent, I'll just say that Brees had better offensive passing talent than Rivers. Brees at least had WRs who caught TD passes. No Bolt wideout caught a TD pass, not one. So its not like Rivers has tons of great targets. Yet Rivers led the same team that Brees had to five more wins in his first season. Brees managed to play okay in playoffs this year before he ran into the only real team in NFC and they lost by 25. Rivers played okay on a busted ankle in his first playoff start against a great team and they came up short. But again, this is all irrelevant as I have stated.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brees at least had WRs who caught TD passes. No Bolt wideout caught a TD pass, not one. So its not like Rivers has tons of great targets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackson had 6, Floyd had some TDs too IIRC.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 AM

Opps, I meant starting wideouts. (unless they started those games, and then I'll make something else up, lol) [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Hey man, no worries. Again, all I said was that the fact that AJ drafted Rivers, not Brees was one of the primary reasons he let Brees go and went with "his" guy. He kind of had to since he used a #1 pick on him. Maybe I'm wrong about that and it was a strictly objective decision (but you know I'm not). The SD defense and running game had more to do with their wins than Rivers.

But hey...your GM handled this situation so well that now you have Norv Turner as your head coach, and I think everyone will agree that with his STELLAR record as a head coach you are in a MUCH better situation now than you were before. I think you should sign AJ up for a long-term deal he's handled this situation so adeptly. Maybe next year if they wait long enough to make such important decisions they could land the Raiders OC who was running a B&B.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 PM

woops....looks like the San Diego handling of everything last year is working out well. Nice getting spanked by a crappy KC team at home that couldn't even beat the Texans.

Yeah Marty had nothing to do with winning games. Good thing SD upgraded to Norv Turner.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 PM

I think most people thought Marty was a good coach, but he always seemed to screw up big games.