Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Counting Outs
Bastard 10 100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Frank to introduce bill.....

How do you think states will react if passed? Will states, like Illinois (which is one of the states where online gaming is illegal), even look at this bill? Or just keep what they have going, i .e no internet betting?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Two thoughts on Rep. Franks bill.
1. How much are the taxes? The bill doesn't state the taxes. The rate would determine how many foreign operators decide to obtain the license. The regulations are reasonable, but will the taxes be reasonable or unreasonable like the recent UK tax announcement. Strangely, Rep. Frank left out a RNG certificate requirement, but the regulations could require it.

2. In practice, a person could transfer money, receive money and play at unlicensed sites much easier than present. Neteller type companies would be able to access the US financial system without prosecution or impingment. Even better a person would know whether the site was licensed by the US or not. Of course, an unlicensed operator better not enter the US.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:55 AM

They have to allow the states exemption or the bill would be unconstitutional. The sports opt-out is a smart move also, it shouldn't generate that much opposition from major sports leagues who whole-heartedly supported the UIGEA
Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They have to allow the states exemption or the bill would be unconstitutional.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure if that is true, but I like the state exemption because a state must clearly tell the federal regulators what online gaming is not permitted in it. No more guessing about the interpretation of very old laws or skill v. chance. I doubt that most states will actually pass laws specifically banning most forms of online gaming. Taxation may be a problem.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 PM

I guess we will all be playing on Harrah's poker software if this becomes reality.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 PM

What are the chances that a specific state will opt-out. Or to ask my question in a more selfish manner, if this passes will NY ban online gaming anyway?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Looks like i found the answer to one of my questions...

Is it possible for restrictions to be enforced if individual states decide to “opt-out” from permitting persons in their states from Internet gambling?

Yes. When using the Internet, a customer’s IP address is broadcast to the operator and can then be used to identify the state in which a customer resides with a 99 percent level of accuracy. This information is also made available and compared to the customer’s registration information. In the event the information differs, the transaction would not be approved and the customer would be prevented from engaging in Internet gambling.

So i assume the 11 states that Prima has locked out would prevent players from playing on licensed sites as well, and who knows how many others.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So i assume the 11 states that Prima has locked out would prevent players from playing on licensed sites as well, and who knows how many others.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big problem.......
Old 04-26-2007, 12:05 PM

This is fantastic. Better than fantastic, even. The naysayers be damned- this is the best thing to happen to online poker since I don't know when, and I'm not going to sit back and just watch while a golden opportunity slips through our fingers.

I'm calling Barney Frank's office to thank him. Or writing a snail mail letter if his office can't take it. I already followed up with my state rep. I realize that certain people in this thread believe these actions are pointless, but those people are wrong. The only way your voice has an impact is if it's heard, and the only way it's heard is if you make it so.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess we will all be playing on Harrah's poker software if this becomes reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've often wondered if places like the Bellagio and the Wynn already have software and servers in an advanced state, ready to go ASAP should such an opportunity arise.