Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Nation\'s Modship

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saw a response I thought I would comment on:

[ QUOTE ]
HE KNOWS THESE PEOPLE. PERSONALLY. LIKE REAL LIFE LIKE. He knows they aren't bots

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he knows them in real-life rather than only online does not mean they are not using bots. This is a ridiculous statement. People that use bots are real people too; they just automate their play so they dont have to sit there and play themselves.

Carry on now...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this quote worried me as well. He's inferring that Nation must be telling the truth because he knows them in real life. How the hell does this carry any weight just because he knows them in real life? Unless..... oh wait, I've got it ..... because he's a mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no. What are you guys talking about?

He's been to there house, and watched them play this strategy. By the book. He's been shown the strategy, and even thought about implementing it himself. That is why it matters that he actually knows these people. It's not like, he knows them over the net and they are just telling him they aren't bots. He's watched them play.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because he knows the guys in real life and has witnessed them playing? Like I said, maybe he doesn't have all the facts, but all he's doing is defending his friend and telling the facts as he knows them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Still Nation himself admitted that given the information in the thread and the manner presented (he didnt present himself very well) people would rationally be suspicious (many respected people are). Given this understanding why is it his goal to make sure no one thinks they are bots? Furthermore the way he attempted to do this was purely by force of will and not any rational argument and the only reason it was given any weight is because he is a mod, thus where I see the abuse.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 PM

The only area where I think anybody proved that nation was the least bit dishonest was the fact that he didn't point out that he wanted to start a similar "sweatshop" operation himself. However, given his implicit endorsement of that practice, I'm not really sure that's really a big deal (but I think it does reflect poorly on him not to get that out in the open, mostly because a lot of people knew about it).

All the other "lies" are based on assumptions people are making that as of yet have little basis in fact.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
HE KNOWS THESE PEOPLE. PERSONALLY. LIKE REAL LIFE LIKE. He knows they aren't bots

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he knows them in real-life rather than only online does not mean they are not using bots. This is a ridiculous statement. People that use bots are real people too; they just automate their play so they dont have to sit there and play themselves.

Carry on now...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this quote worried me as well. He's inferring that Nation must be telling the truth because he knows them in real life. How the hell does this carry any weight just because he knows them in real life? Unless..... oh wait, I've got it ..... because he's a mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been to there house, and watched them play this strategy. By the book. He's been shown the strategy, and even thought about implementing it himself. That is why it matters that he actually knows these people. It's not like, he knows them over the net and they are just telling him they aren't bots. He's watched them play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would anyone give this any weight given the manner it was presented (if you havent read the thread you will have to to get this) if Nation werent a mod?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:15 PM

cwar,

To be very frank, nation's reputation on 2p2 was pretty horrible before his becoming a mod and many people found his modding rather inexplicable in the first place. He's not getting credit because he's a mod, he's getting credit because unlike most of the threat, he's not acting like an idiot.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Carry on now...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Would anyone give this any weight given the manner it was presented (if you havent read the thread you will have to get this) if Nation werent a mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. A trustworthy poster is a trustworthy poster, I dont care if he is a mod or not. As an example I don't trust some of the mods opinions as much as I would trust a really good poster's opinions (no names are necessary), experience and quality is a measure of trust, not the color of someone's screen name.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cwar,

To be very frank, nation's reputation on 2p2 was pretty horrible before his becoming a mod and many people found his modding rather inexplicable in the first place. He's not getting credit because he's a mod, he's getting credit because unlike most of the threat, he's not acting like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will definitely agree that the thread is mess (this is hardly unexpected), I knew nothing about Nation's reputation before my interactions with him in the thread and Im certain this is the case for a lot of people, so when someone is interacting with a mod like this for the first time and the mod says that he knows the accused people that is going to be given weight. However if someone with a bad reputation says that it is taken with a very large grain of salt, why are so many people so ready to believe him anyways? He has a bad reputation on 2p2 (according to you) and all we have to take him is at his word that he knows these people, nothing else. Any opinion like that shouldnt be given much weight IMO and the only reason it was is because he is a mod.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course. A trustworthy poster is a trustworthy poster, I dont care if he is a mod or not. As an example I don't trust some of the mods opinions as much as I would trust a really good poster's opinions (no names are necessary), experience and quality is a measure of trust, not the color of someone's screen name.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT, understanding the heirarchy of trustworthiness of posters & Mods, only comes with time & experience on the forum... it is fair to assume that new posters and many who do not follow forum politics would presume a Mod to have more credibility than an average poster. In this case, this particular thread has gained much attention off 2+2 and brought in many new readers, who might make this assumption.

That said, I see nothing wrong with Nation stating what he knows... but, can also understand the reaction...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cwar,

[/ QUOTE ]
Another thought, if hes a bad mod shouldnt he be replaced regardless of his actions in the bot thread (in the name of improving the forums)?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Would anyone give this any weight given the manner it was presented (if you havent read the thread you will have to to get this) if Nation werent a mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It was given no more weight than any other comments by someone who had as many posts as he does and knew the people in real life and had seem them playing before would have been.

All three of those things count for more than his mod status.