Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Adrian Peterson is not Overrated, statistical comparison CTaylor -

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But why is he so much more successful in the NFL than he was in college?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sample size? He's only had 158 carries. Way too early to say he's more successful now than at Oklahoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what JoA is saying.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like Pudge said, in 2005, Peterson "only" averaged 5.0 ypc despite breaking off plenty of long runs. This would seem to indicate a few things:

1) Either Peterson has always been somewhat of a boom or bust back or he's been facing 9 guys in the box his whole career.
2) Peterson is probably running sick hot. 6.6 ypc is of course unsustainable. He should finish above 5 but I doubt it'll be above 6.
3) Peterson could settle into the 4.5-5.0 range but plenty of awesome backs like LT have bad averages. In fact, LT only has 3 years of 4.5ypc or greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI defenses have stacked the box on him from high school. It's not some sort of new thing now...

His college offensive coordinator even said. Because teams stack they have a better chance at a tackle for a loss but if he gets to the 2nd level he's going to take it all the way.

Which is exactly what me and a couple of other posters have been trying to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

But why is he so much more successful in the NFL than he was in college? And if stacking the box means he breaks off 50 yard runs with regularity, isn't that a bad idea to say the least?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 PM

he could be running hot on big runs, and cold on the shorter runs

in that the line could be breaking down more often than normal, but also just killing defenders a couple extra times a game opening huge holes

think of it like getting running hot on sklansky bucks but cold on raw #s of AA/KK/sets+
Old 11-05-2007, 11:03 PM

I agree with the 'shot out of the cannon' analogy. His explosiveness through the hole is what set's him apart from the majority of other backs.

Everyone else seems to be in slow motion while he explodes through the line and into the secondary. That is common in college, but not something you see often in the pros due to the much higher level of athleticism across the board.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Even though I specifically said it in my post, I feel as if you ignored it. Let me repeat:

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I brought the numbers up to date for people who were going to use it to latch onto the "he has a great line" aspect or "his numbers really only stand out on the left side" and run with it.
There was a whole lot of that going on.

Your disclaimer was very clear.

The left side of his line is one of the best in football.
The right side isn't.

It should be clear why up to date numbers were posted.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 PM

When Shaun won his MVP he ran better to his right than to his left.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Watching him in college left me with a large man crush on Reggie Bush.

I think Peterson is a MUCH better back for the pro game. However, he needs to run with more care for his body, or he's going to miss a fuckload of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Injuries happen to all RBs. Avoiding the hits is obviously a useful skill but eventually injuries will happen to everybody. You can only hope its not too serious such as an ACL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everybody gets hurt. Some people get hurt a lot more than others because they insist on jumping around and throwing themselves into people without any regard for their own goodwill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of times they get injured trying to avoid the injury rather than just running hard.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno if anyone called this out, but this is just dumb and untrue in regards to nfl players.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a general statement about someone trying to play while conciously trying to avoid injury. People who do that are usually more susceptible to injury.

b
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 AM

Learning how to not get injured is the only reason Jerome Bettis and Emmitt Smith lasted so long.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Learning how to not get injured is the only reason Jerome Bettis and Emmitt Smith lasted so long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not what I'm talking about.

b
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Watching him in college left me with a large man crush on Reggie Bush.

I think Peterson is a MUCH better back for the pro game. However, he needs to run with more care for his body, or he's going to miss a fuckload of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Injuries happen to all RBs. Avoiding the hits is obviously a useful skill but eventually injuries will happen to everybody. You can only hope its not too serious such as an ACL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everybody gets hurt. Some people get hurt a lot more than others because they insist on jumping around and throwing themselves into people without any regard for their own goodwill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of times they get injured trying to avoid the injury rather than just running hard.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno if anyone called this out, but this is just dumb and untrue in regards to nfl players.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a general statement about someone trying to play while conciously trying to avoid injury. People who do that are usually more susceptible to injury.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like one of those things that people say because it sounds poetic but when you stop and think about it for 5 seconds you realize its asinine and you could not possibly know if its true, nor have any real reason to expect it IS true. I mean, most of the same people who parrot this are the guys saying AP is going to get hurt because he runs so hard and doesnt worry about contact (I understand that you arent saying both).