Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the most annoying poster in this thread?
Snowball138 8 44.44%
Snowball138 2 11.11%
Snowball138 6 33.33%
Snowball138 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: PASSAMAN POST #666. BBV 10 COMMANDMENTS

[ QUOTE ]
oh, I have a serious, non-trolling question that I've always wondered:

Christians believe that once you're saved or baptized or whatever (I dunno what the right terminology is), that you get into heaven automatically right? Like there's nothing you can do outside of rejecting Jeebus and friends, correct?

how does this work? So once you become a member of the religious club you can do whatever you want? So some dude who is saved but then becomes a serial killer gets into heaven while someone who's not religious but is an incredibly kind and giving person does not? If true, I don't think I really wanna hang out with your god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a born again Christian isn't a license to steal. If you are really a follower of Christ, you won't go around killing, stealing, robbing, etc.

FWIW, being "religious" no more gets you into heaven than sitting in a parking lot makes you a car. It's about a relationship with Christ not a "religion"
Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Passaman,

Just curious, do you associate with women when they are on their period? I'm sure you know God strictly forbids it. (Leviticus 15:19-24)

It is honorable that you are trying to live as Christ does, but just by the very fact that you make judgements about us as people shows that you are not in fact living up to Christ.

Christ walked among the lowest of the low. He associated with prostitutes, and lepers.

Many Christians today turn their back towards people who they disagree with, when that is the VERY thing Christ would argue against.

I grew up in a Christian household that many would probably consider "looney" or "extreme". A lot of my resentment towards Christianity is a result of my parent's friends disowning them because they got a divorce. It was like we were no longer good enough to be in the Christian community.

There are definitely some good things religion does for the world, but overall I would say there is a huge deficit when it comes to good things vs bad things.

[/ QUOTE ]

So funny, since I'm preaching through Leviticus right now, and I preached on Leviticus 15 just three days ago. Of course, what you say is exactly what it says in the bible. It also says we can't associate with anyone who has a zit, a scab or open wound, excema, boils, blisters, carbuncles, etc. There's reasons for this, but I'd have to send you my CD from last week in order for it to all be explained. But then, along came Jesus Christ, and we see that he touched lepers, corpses, women with non-stop menstrual flow, the lowest of the low, etc. That's because he was redeeming all of Creation to himself. All things through him have been reconciled. Now, no one is beyond the touch of Christ or his followers. When Jesus looked at the masses, he was moved with compassion, as must his true followers. One of my main points Sunday is that we have no reason to neglect the marginialized, the poor, the dirty, the criminal, the addict...all must be touched by Christ. There are no longer any ritualistic reasons to avoid these things. I agree with your comment.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:52 PM

If I dedicate the rest of my life to being basically the best person ever (I give all my money to charity, I travel the world helping people, etc.), I will go to hell but a religious serial killer will go to heaven? that is [censored] up and I would never be a part of a group that believes that

can't you see that beliefs like that are only in place to coerce everyone into becoming church members? like "ohhhh join our club and it's instant heaven."
Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Being a born again Christian isn't a license to steal. If you are really a follower of Christ, you won't go around killing, stealing, robbing, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course it's not a license to steal, but it's irrelevant because you can do whatever you want and not pay for it in the afterlife. I guess this is why the religious kids in my school were always the worst people.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Passa, I should probably let this thread drop as I suggested, but I have a question.

Have you ever read The Kingdom of God is Within You by Tolstoy? I just started it, and I'm wondering what you think of the non-resistance theory that it said Jesus preached. Is that true christianity? If the church opposed this idea (I think it does), is someone who worships independently a true christian?

(to relieve the pressure, I'm not looking for an absolute answer, just a Christian's opinion. I don't know too many [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus preached non-resistance to the Roman government and it's puppet state in Judea, because, as he said repeatedly, "My Kingdom is not of this world." Yet Republicans and Evangelicals (both of which I am, ldo) insist on equating America and God's Kingdom. Mistake! We effectively innoculate half of America's population (liberals) against the single most important thing in the universe by equating Christianity with Republican Conservatism. I fervently keep my people from signing petitions, writing their Senator, carrying signs, etc. I don't think that as Jesus was hanging on the cross he was thinking, "I'm sure glad I'm doing this so that my people can someday be defined by what they're against." We're to be distinguished from others by our love and compassion.

Of course you can be a true Christian an worship independently, but the church is not supposed to be an organization, it's supposed to be a movement. In Exodus, when God gave the law to Moses, he called his people a "kingdom of priests", who were supposed to bring the message of God to the world. In other words, instead of living life in celebration of their rescue, they were rescued to a purpose and mission. Today, Christians are the same. If we view church as a place to come to escape all those who don't think like us, vote like us and talk like us, we are missing the whole point. Church is not a place, it's the movement of God's people taking the love of Christ to a hungry world.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I dedicate the rest of my life to being basically the best person ever (I give all my money to charity, I travel the world helping people, etc.), I will go to hell but a religious serial killer will go to heaven? that is [censored] up and I would never be a part of a group that believes that

can't you see that beliefs like that are only in place to coerce everyone into becoming church members? like "ohhhh join our club and it's instant heaven."

[/ QUOTE ]

God is kind. His kindness is shown specifically in two ways here: 1) He's kind in forgiving the serial killer and 2) He's kind in giving you time to figure out how much he loves you, too.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 PM

passaman,

unless he changes his screenname t-god will spend eternity roasting in hell with a razor-studded dildo lodged in his urethra

T/F
Old 11-07-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks man, that's an awesome answer

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Of course you can be a true Christian an worship independently, but the church is not supposed to be an organization, it's supposed to be a movement. In Exodus, when God gave the law to Moses, he called his people a "kingdom of priests", who were supposed to bring the message of God to the world. In other words, instead of living life in celebration of their rescue, they were rescued to a purpose and mission. Today, Christians are the same. If we view church as a place to come to escape all those who don't think like us, vote like us and talk like us, we are missing the whole point. Church is not a place, it's the movement of God's people taking the love of Christ to a hungry world.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you just described a virus.

The kids game tag where anyone you tag is now a "tagger" also fits into this description of what religion is.

[ QUOTE ]
passaman,

unless he changes his screenname t-god will spend eternity roasting in hell with a razor-studded dildo lodged in his urethra

T/F

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, "God" is not God's name anyway.