Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What cardrooms comes to mind when you think B&M
I have small local mini-cardrooms in my state 30 29.70%
My buddy vinnie or Guido's house 1 0.99%
Tropicana,Sands,Taj Mahal 11 10.89%
Wynn, Mirage, Bellagio 54 53.47%
Oldschool Binions 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Question 18

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also voted to fold. I just can't to think of a hand that JJ beats that would play that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that made me choose RRAI is that SB is an "expert." So this could be a meta-game thing. Our image is TAG, so we're going to c-bet the flop. He's expecting this. AK/AQ is a big part of our range here, which is a total whiff. He leads so that we'll make our continued show of strength, which we'll probably do on that flop from position regardless of how he plays it. I think he leads small with the intention of throwing in that third bet to make us fold anything other than big pairs. I think the shove is enough to convince him we actually have the big pair.

Besides, Given our "very-tight" range PF, he's going to push AA, KK, but maybe not QQ. If he doesn't push those PF, then he's not going to push them now because nothing's changed. I feel he has a mid PP here which he's testing to see if they're good. If he has TT, we're getting stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line, very nice write up

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the information given in the question makes this a fold:

[ QUOTE ]
SB leads for $80. You raise to $250, and the SB re-raises to $650. Your image is tight aggressive, very tight in early position, and you rarely bluff. What should you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a TAG image -- very tight in early position -- so SB knows we have AK/TT+ preflop. On the flop, SB bets $80 into a $90 pot. We make a big raise committing 25% of our stack to this pot, and we rarely bluff. He's pretty sure we have TT+ now. He most likely has TT+ here, slight chance he may have A2s (but not sure how "expert" he would be calling PF with that OOP).

We can't get SB to fold now. It will be $350 more to him into a $1650 pot. Getting 5:1 pot odds, he's going to be calling unless his play was a complete bluff (which I doubt).
Old 07-11-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Question 21

5/10 NL Cash Game. 7 handed. You are loose, passive, and you generally play badly. You and the tight player in the BB both have about $3,000.

It is folded to you on the button. You hold: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

You make a standard $40 raise, and the BB calls.

Flop is: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB leads for $80. You call.

Turn is: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets $200 and you raise to $400. BB re-raises to $800. You call.

River is: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Question 21

These questions are really hard too answer. I take i answer on how i would play rather then how a "loose, passive and generally bad player" would play?

Meh, i fold. Since are image is passive we dont re-raise unless we have a good hand, and SB should know this. I think BB has a set of 6's or 7's here.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 PM

I think the idea is that you answer how you would play if you felt that you were perceived as a "loose, passive and generally bad player". (E.g., one of the guys posting about his recent ME experiences said that he has a "douchebag image", but certainly doesn't consider himself a douchebag.)

In any case, taking the question as I read it I voted to call. I think the idea is that he reads us as playing Ax poorly (why didn't we raise Aces up after the flop, BTW???) while he has something like AK.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 PM

SB expects us to call this river bet, getting over 2:1 on a call. We disappoint him by folding, and kick ourself in the nuts for not raising on the flop and again for min-raising on the turn.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SB expects us to call this river bet, getting over 2:1 on a call. We disappoint him by folding, and kick ourself in the nuts for not raising on the flop and again for min-raising on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kip always has these solid answers, which go counter to what I answer... perhaps this is why my winrate is low? I got a 121 on the quiz, which boosted my confidence, but then in comes Kip and kicks me in the nuts, lol. I'm tempted to buy the "detailed report" to see which of my arguments for any of these last few questions are "correct" (one of them is bound to be!) just to try to get that initial confidence boost back.

At any rate, I figure BB thinks he is betting a decent to good Ace for value here. If we hadn't made that min-raise then this would be an insta-call, and I think that his range is A8s+, ATo+ enough that we indeed have right odds. If I was playing against a donk that overvalued TP/Horrible kicker, then I'd try to hold his hand and walk him through all sorts of value bets with a decent Ace here.

My 2c.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are loose, passive, and you generally play badly. You ... have about $3,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

The description makes me laugh, btw. Why is this guy even playing cards? I've never played anywhere 5/10, but please tell me that there actually are "LP-Generally Bad" players willing to donate this much money in real life.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was playing against a donk that overvalued TP/Horrible kicker, then I'd try to hold his hand and walk him through all sorts of value bets with a decent Ace here.

[/ QUOTE ]

True -- but since we are "passive", and we raised the turn, the BB has to put us on 2-pair or better, and expects us to call. We can't beat whatever he's holding (probably 66).

There are different types of "passives" though: "calling stations" are also passive, and if that's what we are, then he may might have AK/AQ here -- though if he had that, he probably would have raised pre-flop. I usually think "passive" means we rarely ever raise, but will also fold if our hand isn't great. If that's the case, then BB has to know we are pretty strong here, and not likely to fold.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Question 18

[ QUOTE ]
On 18:

If you've been playing aggressively, 800 or 1000 seems to announce that you have AA.

If you flat call, you'll get at least two and probably three opponents, making it more likely that you'll end up getting beat.

I would be worried that 2300 would get no callers.

So I thought that 1600 would be best to isolate the best hand and hope to stack it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i went for raise 1000 for the same reasons...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Question 22

9 handed. You limp in late middle position with: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Six players in a limped pot see a flop of: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

It is checked to you and you bet the pot. A Player behind you raises, and everyone folds back to you. You re-raise all-in and the re-raiser instantly calls.