Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: ***Official 6 to 4 Tuesday Performance Thread***

Dominic, you would be correct if that's how the voting worked (i.e. bad performances trigger eliminations). Unfortunately, this isn't how it works. Last week has a tremendous impact on this week which is why Jordin could've given her worst performance (and arguably, she did) and still be safe. This is also why Lakisha and Chris are mostly likely doomed.

I don't think Phil will make final 2 for a number of reasons. This week was somewhat of an anomaly, IMO. The theme (rock) catered to Phil's strengths and Jordin's weaknesses. I think the person joining Melinda in the final 2 will be largely determined by the upcoming themes. As for Phil, I think he has the weakest fan base of the remaining contestants and is only sticking around because of his decent performances. The next time he slips, he will be gone. The same can't necessarily be said for Melinda, Jordin, and Blake who probably have more loyal fan bases. We've seen Phil's ugly side and I don't think it's out of the realm of probability that we will see it again.

Here's my prediction for how the rest of the season will play out:

This week: Chris and Lakisha go. Blake picks up most of Chris's votes. Melinda and Jordin pick up Lakisha's votes, with Melinda picking up most of them.

Next week: Phil delivers an okay, but lackluster performance. He's fine, but everyone else is better, and he gets eliminated.

Top 3 week: It's very close between Jordin and Blake. Although Blake hasn't been as good overall, he has picked up the most momentum in recent weeks and beats out Jordin.

Finals: Melinda easily beats Blake.

I know people were touting Jordin as the favorite before last night and the producers would love her to win this, but she's going to need to get really lucky now with a string of very good performances. Melinda has star quality and I honestly feel like she's starting to show that personality that she has lacked thus far.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to watch that about 30 more times before I can give a true opinion. My first reaction is that it was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please post a graph of How Much You Like the Song vs. Times Viewing Song.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Soul Daddy wins this forum.

Rooting for Blake to make a comeback in the next 10 viewings!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Soul Daddy wins this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT! The best part of the graph is the random spike in enjoyment at viewing #11.

Haha I was just telling Joker that I watched Blake's performance a couple times in a row. Very, very good. And he actually sounded good on his vocals when he chose to sing!

I am just not a Melinda fan but she handled the rocking out pretty well. And was it just me... or did she actually show some personality last night?

Have to disagree with Dom about Phil - he does have a nice voice but he's just not a star at all to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Top 3 week: It's very close between Jordin and Blake. Although Blake hasn't been as good overall, he has picked up the most momentum in recent weeks and beats out Jordin.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's closer to a toss-up than I thought before last night. I will say though that I don't think Blake can give a better performance than last night. Everything just came together - a perfect storm of Blake-ness. I still see a Jordin-Melinda Final 2...

-Al
Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am just not a Melinda fan but she handled the rocking out pretty well. And was it just me... or did she actually show some personality last night?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Melinda has star quality and I honestly feel like she's starting to show that personality that she has lacked thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM

As far as Blake's performance goes, I thought it would have been fantastic if he could have really nailed the chorus; he built a lot of tension up to the chorus, but didn't quite deliver for me. I thought his voice was a little too thin to really pull it off.

If Blake had Phil's voice, the competition would be over already.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM

Come on guys, Phil is decent, but he doesn't have an amazing voice. He'd make a really good karaoke singer, maybe a competent country singer with some good studio recordings. He may have the most powerful voice of the guys in this competition, but that really isn't saying much.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please post HH for viewing 13.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:17 PM

I wouldn't say Phil has an amazing voice, but he has probably the second best voice after Melinda. Which is not saying much for this group.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:25 PM

I don't think that his stage presence/performance/song choice has always been good (and sometimes it's been terrible), but from a technical standpoint I think it's hard to criticize Phil's voice. Simon is correct in criticizing his believability/originality, though.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Recaps?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100% of the recap is recorded earlier from the rehearsals. including melinda last night (unless there was some flaw in the pre-recorded segment that made them do an emergency change. this is done purely for "TV" purposes, as it gives them hours to make the compilation versus minutes and in the case of the last performer, seconds. they have been doing this since season 1.
not really too strange if you think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Granny! Had never considered that before. I think all but the final recap are pre-recorded. For Melinda's, it was very short, and did include cheering audience shots where the others did not.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not saying melinda was not pre-recorded, but all of the rehearsal footage is taped before a live audience. the last performance only seems live in the recap because of the obvious applause at the end, but take a very close look again and i think you will see some subtle differences. there have been times that the only way i can tell is from a blink or small facial exprssion change between the pre-record and live. they obviously are told to rehearse as close to the performance as possible. if you have it on tivo, examine it closely and let us know. i think i saved it, so i will do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't think this is true, at least not all the time. Contestants have made mistakes that have showed up in the recaps many times. Also, it seems like a bad idea -- what if a contestant actually DOES screw up the part of the song they were going to use for the recap? And it's not that hard to make a montage like this in even a few minutes. Think of sporting events.