Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Forum discussion, thread suggestion, and random comment thread

A radio program I regularly listen to had a bit on life's lessons and how they are learned. I thought this forum would have some interesting stories on what lessons they have learned in life AND how those lessons were learned; ie. experience or taught from a mentor.

I truly think the stories behind the lessons are more intruiging than the lessons themselves.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:39 AM

El d,
Can someone start a thread/discussion about capital punishment? I just finished "In Cold Blood" (The book not the movie). I felt edf would be the best place to discuss this on 2p2 (over bbv and oot. do you see why?)
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 AM

I would like a weekly song analysis thread; or piece, if that is decided by the jury. I listen to a HUGE amount of music, from all genres, but I was thinking the other day that people my age in the past that listened to a huge amount of music probably only owned like 10-15 records and listened to them again and again; so they would really get to know the songs intimately.

I wouldn't be able to sing all the lyrics to basically any song except the most trivial easy poppish songs; many songs that I love, I don't fully understand lyrically (EG there are lots of metaphors etc being used to express certain thoughts and I just know what the song is about because of its title or whatever), etc. For example, I like the Mars Volta a lot. I don't know what a single song is about by them.

I guess I'd like to take an English Lit kind of approach in the thread, where the band is introduced, the lyrics pasted, relevent thoughts about the time the music was written in, etc. I've found I like a lot of music a lot more once I start understanding it more (EG I liked the chilli peppers a lot more after reading scar tissue). I'd even like to talk about more technical aspects of the music (maybe by having a link to the sheet music or tabs and talking about chord progressions, musical effects, pedals used etc).

Most the EDF forum seem to be big music junkies, so I think this would be a good place to talk about music (but more specifically, individual songs or pieces).
Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 AM

I'd like a thread about learning how to dine in upscale restaurants for someone who is young and has little experience doing so. There are threads about dining, but I'm interested in something of an upscale dining for newbies thread, with advice from some of the older members on the forum.

I have a bunch of questions.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM

improv comedy.

i'm taking a class with the upright citizen's brigade in NYC right now, and it's pretty damn awesome. so a thread about what it is, how to learn it, good groups, best improv comics/movie stars, best shows, and so on.

it's like freestyle rapping for white people.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:51 AM

Alright ---

Here's my idea. We've done the whole "what's for dinner thing" (I'm glad we only do "before pictures" by the way.) I had the following idea. Each week 1 person will post a recipe that (meeting certain criteria.) People will then take the week to test/improve/comment on the recipe. After a decent time, we should have a pretty good cook book going.

Criteria for recipes:
Common/relatively common ingredients
No "special" tools required
Scalable (good for individuals as well as families)
Delicious

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM

All,

A bunch of great ideas here, thanks!

I'll get a couple started and also have Ryan add a bunch of you to the thread starter list. Probably do this this weekend.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 PM

I recently went on vacation for 10 days in Alaska. Activities included Dog Mushing, Snowmobiling, and an engagement.

Was thinking of doing a trip report/pics.

Any interest here, or OOT?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:07 PM

I want thread starting priviliges. El D told me to post here.

Want to start a thread where people can share ideas of how to meet people (not a date thread), and make new friends when you move to a new city. Basicly just moved to London and am at the moment surrounded by 10 000 000 people I don't know, and would like that to change. And as a fulltime poker player I need to take a more active approach than I have used to before whenever I have moved, since I've been a student or had a regular job then.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 PM

What's up with politics threads and sports threads here? Don't we have separate forums for those topics?
Closed Thread