Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: the king of kong

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The error comes in on Level 22 because a single byte cannot be greater then 255. The result then "flips" over to 4 (260-256). And there's your bug! Obviously the programmers never considered that people would make it that far.

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't this basically a memory limitation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:43 PM

i knew i heard something like that from the movie, so it looks like due to a limit on memory available the time runs out fast.. i want to play this game so bad now.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The error comes in on Level 22 because a single byte cannot be greater then 255. The result then "flips" over to 4 (260-256). And there's your bug! Obviously the programmers never considered that people would make it that far.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Horribly nerdy response:

Though it might depend on the definition of the term, this (I would imagine) would not be called a memory limitation, and certainly wouldnt be called "running out of memory"

Generally, to say that something ran out of memory means that the program tried to set aside space for a variable and there wasnt any room left.

That didnt happen here (the variable was already created) And, its unlikely that if the programmers forsaw this problem, they would not have been able to allocate a second byte to make the variable's range 256 times bigger. So, basically, it was a programming error not a memory limitation.

EDIT: even more completely useless posting: if you wanted to say that the fact they didnt have a logic check for the overflow was a memory limitation (since these additional instructions would have taken up more, and perhaps too much, memory) I would agree
Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 PM

I saw a movie "High Score" at SXSW the year before KoK. It featured some guy who was trying to set a marathon record on Missle Command (A game which I think Mr. Awesome has a record for, but not this particular record). He was trying to play for ~80 hours. He was having problems where he'd play for 20 some hours (or something ridiculous) and the game would freeze.
They actually tracked down the programmer and figured out why this was happening. I forget exactly what the problem was, but I think it was that some variable tracked the number of cities left, and this guy was saving too many cities along the way and it caused an overflow, or overloaded the space for this variable. I can't imagine playing the same classic arcade game for 80 hours.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more like a bug in deciding to only use one byte to store the variable. Obviously they had more physical memory available.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:56 PM

so is there a real ending to the game programmed (at the end of level xx), yet inaccessible, or was it supposed to just go on forever without the kill screen glitch? and am i right in understanding that the levels are just the same 4 screens over and over but with less time and more randomized and faster stuff to dodge? and if that's right, why is the kill screen (first screen of level 22) screen number 117? wouldn't it be screen 85?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:49 PM

I loved this movie. After watching it, I checked out this interview on Twin Galaxies with a third Donkey Kong contender.

[ QUOTE ]
Q: When The King of Kong documentary first hit the scene, and you were not included in it, how did you feel about that?

A: I've been overlooked for important, meaningful ideas and contributions on the job and in life in general for most of my 35 years, so one more time wasn't going to make a difference. I think you should view a Simpsons episode titled "Homers Enemy" (season 8) if you really want to understand what kind of resentment a person can harbor after a lifetime of working twice as hard for half as much as the other guy can have on someone. A person can get very cynical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simpsons fans may recognize that he's talking about Frank Grimes. I didn't know that anyone sympathized with Grimey!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM

Sounds like this guy is trying to pitch himself as a character in a documentary.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:37 AM

Just saw this flick. Awesome.

RE: posting spoilers in a movie thread.

What in the heck is going to be posted if you can't talk about what happens in the movie? There will a couple posts of "I CANT WATE 2 SE THES RILLY AEWSOMA MOVEI
!!!!1!!1! LOL" and then the thread becomes worthless because no can actually talk about the flick. I thought it was common knowledge not to read the flick threads until after you see the movie.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:53 AM

Boris,

Where its a movie that's highly anticipated but only available in a couple cities, like this one, then completely disagree. People will want to talk about when they can see it, read general reviews, etc. Both starting a spoilers thread and putting your spoiler in white are simple things to do that preserve the thread for those that haven't been able to watch it.

I mean, if someone started a thread right after "The Usual Suspects" came out and you posted third with, "Holy [censored], I can't believe Sozay is Spacey!" you'd understand why people would be pissed at you, right?

Its even worse when it comes from someone who has been specifically warned about posting major spoilers before and doesn't typically seem like a mouth-breathing retard.