Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Adolf Hitler.

[ QUOTE ]
And how many bums do you know.........

I just think that someone thinks they can study the human condition by studying hitler (as interesting as he is) is pretty lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Who should one study? Isn't the human condition a very vague and indeterminable idea to begin with? I also study Zen Buddhism (or rather don't study it) and more conventional things. But it's much easier to see a reflection of yourself by looking at the extreme cases.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is it that no one knows what happened to Hitler? Having studied him so thoroughly what is your guess?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is common knowlege that he died in a bunker in Berlin on April 30th, 1945. The Myth that he escaped and lived out his life can be attributed to Soviet propoganda that had a vested interest in making it look like the Western Democracies were harboring him.

[/ QUOTE ]Interesting, I have never heard of this conspiracy.

Also, I was referring to our politicians.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I just think that someone thinks they can study the human condition by studying hitler (as interesting as he is) is pretty lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Who should one study? Isn't the human condition a very vague and indeterminable idea to begin with? I also study Zen Buddhism and more conventional things. But it's much easier to see a reflection of yourself by looking at the extreme cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the human condition is more then the sum of the experiences of one man. Do you think that hitler is the most example of power/cruelty (or whatever thing you think he has), is he the only peasant to ever rise to power?

Basically, he captured your imagination for whatever reason, and that is cool, but there is a lot more to the human condition that you can learn besides hitler and zen Buddhism (why did you mention that in the first place?).
Old 08-31-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AC Slater -

Can you explain why seemingly rational people turn into blobs of illogical jello when the subject of Hitler comes up?

These same people who can talk about American slave owners or the gassing of Kurds but can't talk about Hitler without throwing all semblance of logic out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's because of the blatant and sustained hate that Hitler inspired. It was directed at specfic targets and not faceless entities. It was hate that was highly organized and part of offical government policy.

The idea of the monstrosity of a goverment and all its resources backing a systematic persecution is just too much to bear.

Terrorist bombings aren't officially sanctioned activites coming from one of the world's most powerful nations. Even the gassing of Kurds may have targeted a specfic people, but Sadaam didn't make sure to go around and round up every last Kurd he could find. The Kurd gassing was more a spur of the moment type decision. But the Nazi's first had persecution on a mass scale then they started killing.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Who should one study? Isn't the human condition a very vague and indeterminable idea to begin with? I also study Zen Buddhism and more conventional things. But it's much easier to see a reflection of yourself by looking at the extreme cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the human condition is more then the sum of the experiences of one man. Do you think that hitler is the most example of power/cruelty (or whatever thing you think he has), is he the only peasant to ever rise to power?

Basically, he captured your imagination for whatever reason, and that is cool, but there is a lot more to the human condition that you can learn besides hitler and zen Buddhism (why did you mention that in the first place?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he pretty much is the only completely powerless peasant to rise to a position of complete and total power. And it wasn't give to him (like it was to Caligula) he took it for himself.

This is why he makes for an optimal case study. The dichotomy is just so vast.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 PM

Napoleon had a similar rise. But Napoleon was never completely busto and he always had a military career to fall back on. Hitler had nothing to fall back on. It was either become a Despot or die. It was as if he had trained his whole life to become a fascist dictator.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 PM

Grunching, so if it's already been asked, skip it.

You've clearly bought several books on Hitler in order to do this. What kind of reactions have you received from clerks when carrying Hitler tomes to the register? Any other strange reactions from people when they discover your interest in him?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he pretty much is the only completely powerless peasant to rise to a position of complete and total power. And it wasn't give to him (like it was to Caligula) he took it for himself.

This is why he makes for an optimal case study. The dichotomy is just so vast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you know a limited amount of people that went from peasant to king doesnt mean that those were the only ones (same applies to me) for instance read up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyotomi_Hideyoshi

And again if you think hitler is the most evil or whatever characteristic you give him i can give plenty of people that put him to shame.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:19 PM

shadowrun,

just stop. your argument went from dumb to dumber a few posts ago.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 PM

Is this a contest? It's like you have despot envy