Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Garnett to the Suns?

[ QUOTE ]
The only recent one I can think of is that Celtics-Nets series, and that's partly because those 2 teams are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] At least they keep their butts on the bench when need be.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only recent one I can think of is that Celtics-Nets series, and that's partly because those 2 teams are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] At least they keep their butts on the bench when need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Pierce's performance in OT of game 6 was simply amazing. And Im retarded I meant Celtics-Pacers series. All those east teams look alike.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:11 PM

haha that was classic. The elbow was a BS call, anyway. Luckily, taking your jersey off and waving it around after getting ejected isn't against the rules.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:28 PM

Can't believe Suns would make this trade.

Without Robert Horry's elbow (which is the sole reason why the Spurs won the Championship this yr) the Suns already would have won one championship and not be talking about trades, but talking about defending their title.

The team as is, is perfect. There is no need to grab Garnett. Garnett, as good as he is, is not even close to the athleticism of Amare. Amare less than a yr off major surgury, was better than Garnett last yr.

Next yr, Amare (if with the Suns) will be a MVP candidate. If he's on the Hawks, obviously without Nash, he will just be a great player, on a team that does not fit his style.

This trade will not improve the Suns one bit.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The team as is, is perfect. There is no need to grab Garnett. Garnett, as good as he is, is not even close to the athleticism of Amare. Amare less than a yr off major surgury, was better than Garnett last yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol all you want. Amare for Garnett, considering the years that Garnett has played, and the years Amare will be able to play, this trade should not be made.

Seriously, Horry's elbow never happens, then this deal is not even being discussed because no one would ever think of breaking up Amare from Nash, and no one from the Sun would ever want to part with Amare.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Whether the trade is right in the grand scheme of one thing. I'm pretty sure he's LOLing at your assessment that Amare > Garnett last season.

Maybe PHX is considering this deal because they think Amare is too stupid to keep his ass on the pine when he's supposed to.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a dumb way to look at it. With the series 2-2 with both teams at full strength the Suns would be favorites in 2 games and dogs in 1 (by roughly the same odds.) The suspensions were enough to shift them from decent sized favorites in the series to decent sized dogs. Once the Spurs won game 5 game 6 became their game 7. How many teams win game 7 on the road after failing to close it out at home at full strength? I don't have to do a search to tell you it's not many. The only recent one I can think of is that Celtics-Nets series, and that's partly because those 2 teams are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really???????? You didn't do a search, and I don't blame you. I just looked back to like '95 on the NBA.com historical page, which is a nightmare to navigate. Not many teams have done this, you are right. But the situation has only come up a very small number of times (can you say T-Mac?) over even that span:
[ QUOTE ]

95 Conference Semifinals

Indiana 4, New York 3
May 19: Fri., New York 92 at Indiana 82
May 21: Sun., Indiana 97 at New York 95

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

1997 Conference Semifinals

Miami 4, New York 3
May 16: Fri., Miami 95 at New York 90
May 18: Sun., New York 90 at Miami 101

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2001 Conference Semifinals

Milwaukee 4, Charlotte 3
May 17: Thu., Milwaukee 104 at Charlotte 97
May 20: Sun., Charlotte 95 at Milwaukee 104

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

First Round

Detroit 4, Orlando 3
May 2: Fri., Detroit 103 at Orlando 88
May 4: Sun., Orlando 93 at Detroit 108

[/ QUOTE ]

That's as far up as the historical site goes. Since then:

2005 1st round
IND over BOS
loses game 6, wins game 7 on road

2005 ECF
DET over MIA
DWade hurt, MIA loses 6 at home and 7 on road.

2006 1st round
PHX over LAL.
LAL lose 6 at home and 7 on road.

2006 ECSF
DET over CLE.
CLE loses 6 at home and 7 on road.

2006 WCSF
DAL over SAS
DAL loses 6 at home, wins 7 on road.

So that's 3-6 over that span. (I didn't see any qualifying NJ/BOS series, so not sure what you're talking about there...) Not great, but hardly dominating, especially considering sample size. Also, you can throw out the DET/MIA one, as DWade was injured (full-strength clause), completely changing the series, so 3-5. What you're left with is mostly home teams that had stunk it up against an inferior opponent to get in that spot in the first place (PHX vs LA last year, for ex.) getting their act together to win the series.

It was just last year that DAL did to SA exactly what you're looking for.

[ QUOTE ]

The only reason we are having this discussion is cause of your absurd comment "probably enough to bring them to the Spurs level" which implied that they are not at the Spurs level right now. It looks like you realized it was a dumb thing to say and are backing out of it, which is fine, but now you know where all this came from. Like tuq said, you should just be happy with the title and realize your team had some good fortune along the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't back out of anything. I've said all year that SA/DAL/PHX were at a different level than the rest of the league. Within that group, however, I felt like SA was slightly better than PHX.

Of course I'm happy they won. Of course they got somewhat lucky. I mean, I had them at an expectation of .55 series wins vs PHX and the end result was 1.0. It's nice to run good, but that doesn't have to be the end of discussion forever.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 PM

I dislike the idea of trading a star 24 year old PF for a 31 year old PF who's nearing the end of his prime. Amare is an excellent player, and he stays out of trouble off the court. He did have some mental lapses in the playoffs this year, but that's typical of a younger player in high pressure situations. There were other factors that caused them to lose the series besides the Game 4 fiasco, other players didn't step up when they needed to (Leandro Barbosa). He shot 35% from the field as opposed to 45% against the Lakers and 48% during the season. He also shot an abysmal 15% from beyond the arc. Pretty bad for someone who won the NBA's sixth man award this year over Manu Ginobili (lol).
Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 PM

I forgot to mention that you're cherry picking data. Game 6 happened. Both teams at full strength. (some might even say PHX had some players extra rested...oh, and SA was missing a big man from their rotation) Both teams trying to win. The Spurs won. They don't get 55% of a win for that. They get 100%.