Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: San Francisco Bay Area: Your favorite things to do or places to go

[ QUOTE ]
Alcatraz tour. I am usually anti-touristy things, but this tour (get the audio guided tour thing) is really cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd heard this forever, and it didn't make sense to me. It often gets mentioned as a Great Thing To Do in SF That a Local Never Does. So a couple years ago I took a visitor on the tour on a spectacular summer day. And I tell ya, I still don't get it. The answer came to me in the form of a question as I stood in front of a cell and listened to the audio tour: Why visit a prison on your day off/vacation? Seems of limited historical interest. There's a small Hollywood connection easily taken in through views of the thing. Different strokes...

I didn't read all of this thread. Here's a couple I didn't see:

Angel Island (better ferry and picnic option, imo).

There's a nice trail that hugs land's end through GG National Rec Area accessible from the parking lot above the Cliff House. It goes out to painted rock and sneaks up on the GG to provide a different view of it. It spits out in Sea Cliff, giving options to head back the way you came, cut through Lincoln Park GC, take the street up to the Legion of Honor. I suppose you could carry on to China Beach or the Presidio if you wanted, as well.

One thing I like is when I'm at 22nd/Irving right next to the market there is a Mediterranean deli (Palistinian?) called "Sunrise" I think, where I get the falafel and/or mujeddara. Yeah, I know, all the great asian stuff in that neighborhood, and a great sushi place, but give it a look.

I didn't see Rose Pistola in North Beach mentioned, seems like I usually drop in when I'm in the neighborhood.

I'm gonna stop here...
Old 03-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Hey guys, first time posting in EDGDF, though I like reading it. I'm going up to San Fran this weekend for a nice meal with my friends and was trying to decide which restaurant to hit. We're all college students, so this isn't something that happens a lot. We're looking for a good steakhouse, most likely.

In this thread, El D recommended Harris, and in an older OOT thread he recommends Bobo's, Harris, and ACME. I was hoping you guys could go more in depth on this or provide some more suggestions (mostly steakhouses, unless something is just an AMAZING meal for ~75 bucks).

We're looking to spend between 50 and 100 each, and we're not getting alcohol (we're all 20). I'm going with surf and turf, most likely, if that changes the restaurant. I usually get filet mignon and lobster- I'm still getting the lobster this weekend since I LOVE lobster, but I was hoping to try something besides filet mignon. My friends probably won't get as much as me, and will go with some type of steak. Any suggestions on the place and the meal?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 PM

duke,

I retract my Bobo's recommendation. I've been there a few times and always had a great time, and when they are at their best, it is one of the most fun steak places to go. However, multiple people who have been their recently have had very different experiences - sometimes it's great, but other times the food is uneven and service is horrible. Too much of a risk. Also, they took their best app off the menu.

I like both Acme and Harris' a lot. Acme is a more casual fun nice restaurant vibe, whereas Harris' is more of an old school steakhouse vibe.

I don't think Acme even does lobster. Even if they do, Harris' would clearly be better for surf and turf. Overall, Harris' is just a better steakhouse with a wider range of choices. Harris' is slightly more expensive, but $50-100 without alcohol is more than enough. Steaks are probably around $40 each at both places.

The only reason I go to Acme more often than Harris' is because it is two blocks away from my house and three friends of mine bartend there.

Acme is more casual than Harris', but slacks/shirt is plenty dressed up enough for Harris'. Plenty of folks there will be wearing jeans, plenty will be wearing jackets. I like being in the middle with slacks/shirt.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Awesome, thanks El D. I guess I'll call and make a reservation for Harris for next Saturday.

Do you have any recommendations for what we should try, not only for an entree, but also for the appetizers and desserts?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 PM

duke,

I've tasted a few steaks there, all have been outstanding. I usually get the Harris bone-in NY steak. Note that they come w/ vegetables and potato, which is another thing I like about Harris' (high-end steakhouses nowadays often don't come with any sides).

I've just had the regular steaks. A friend had this: "Filet mignon Rossini - A filet mignon with grilled Sonoma foie gras and black truffle, cabernet sauce" and said it was spectacular.

I've never had the prime rib and wouldn't order that. If you guys want Prime Rib, go to House of Prime Rib down the street and have great prime rib for far cheaper than premium steakhouse prices.

Everything I've had at Harris' has been good. Some highlights...

The fried onion rings and mushrooms are f'ing great at Harris'. Definitely get those. My sister said the crab cakes were excellent. The onion soup was delicious.

Have had a few desserts there, all really good. Cheesecake I remember being especially good.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:16 PM

Haha, that filet mignon Rossini seems like it'll be too expensive for us. Sounds delicious though!

I'll make sure to get the mushrooms. And I just love good cheesecake, so I think I'm getting some of that. Thanks again for the recommendations.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 PM

duke,

If you want to go one notch down from really high-end steakhouse, Izzy's and House of Prime Rib are both really good options. At Izzy's you get a full meal of very good steak plus two sides for about $25, at HOPR you get a really big dinner of salad + great bread + prime rib + sides for about $35.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 AM

too late now but last night watched the chinese new year parade for three hours. it was the year of the boar but not boring. its one of the things i like to do when i come down here and try to time it for the event.
on the advice of the sucker i ate a small meal at pinoccios or something like that on columbus. and italian joint, small and casual but good. thirty five bucks for two with no booze. then got ice cream from trader joes.
took the cable car from fishermans wharf to the end at union square then walked thru chinatown and back thru north beach and down to the wharf. nice day.
did the bay boat tour and fun as usual. some things are fun if repeated.
i also like to eat lunch at joes crab shack and watch the bushman from the window tables.
food is fair view is good.
fun to walk from embarkadero to the wharf then to fort mason and see what events are going on, then to the national park by the bridge. eat at the greens along the way if you are not a carnivore like el diablo.
best place to eat for 5 dollars is the san fran art institute on chestnut and jones for lunch on seekdays. you get the best view in the city and a homemade lunch or breakfast for earlier risers. yes thats five dollars in san francisco.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
duke,

If you want to go one notch down from really high-end steakhouse, Izzy's and House of Prime Rib are both really good options. At Izzy's you get a full meal of very good steak plus two sides for about $25, at HOPR you get a really big dinner of salad + great bread + prime rib + sides for about $35.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOPR is the big winner here. Only a couple blocks or so from Ruth Chris, for a fraction of the cost. Hit up some bars on that end of Polk after dinner. Fun fun times.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 AM

I was in S.F this weekend and noticed that the Gap at Haight and Ashbury is closed.

Hippie justice?