Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Looking more professional, a fashion thread

[ QUOTE ]
Al - contrast cuffs/collars look better on Asian people because of their complexion. Higher contrast clothing does, in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it cause... we are sallow? Don't quite understand but hey, works out for me.

-Al
Old 02-12-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it cause... we are yellow? Don't quite understand but hey, works out for me.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2007, 02:45 PM

cjmewett, the contrast cuff/collar shirt does have the unfortunate association with 80s Wall Street power brokers. Also, the phenomenon of turning personal opinion into "holy writ" is something I find myself doing when posting as well.

Aloysius, it has to do with the pale skin and dark hair. The high contrast between the two is best complimented by other high contrast colors. God bless Alan Flusser's book for this tip -- it's something I've internalized and actually think about when I'm throwing clothes on in the morning. Not like it matters though cause I dress super casual for work. Go go tech industry!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:51 PM

OK, here's a couple of questions - I've just gotten my first suit jackets but they're long in the sleeves.

1) Where should the sleeve hit me when my arms are at rest (at my side)?
2) How much should I expect to pay to get these tailored?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, here's a couple of questions - I've just gotten my first suit jackets but they're long in the sleeves.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. The sleeve should end roughly at the top side of the knob on the inside of your wristbone, which is to say right about (or just above) where your skin creases if you fold your hand towards you like you've just released a bowling ball. You can go a bit higher than this depending on your level of dandyism. The wristbone is certainly as long as you want to go.

2. Somewhere between $20 and $30. It's been a while since I've had this done, but $20ish seems about right to me. (Obviously this is per coat.)
Old 02-12-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Al - contrast cuffs/collars look better on Asian people because of their complexion. Higher contrast clothing does, in general.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it cause... we are sallow? Don't quite understand but hey, works out for me.
-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

It also depends on the shirt & color combination. White collar and french cuffs are perfectly acceptable for the workplace with a contrasting color, but not all colors nor all patterns. Anyone who says "LOL, Bud Fox wore that style 20 years ago so you shouldn't," is simply incorrect. There are several style experts who will defend it. But it should never have button cuffs [instead of French] -- as Flusser explicity mentions.

I had to retire 3-4 suits & 6 shirts this year due to age and wear, so I just ordered another 4 suits and 8 shirts, 2 charcoal - 1 glenplaid, 1 navy chalkstripe and a nice lighter-weight olive.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 You want about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of shirt showing. Have a tailor cut the sleeve to that measurement. I mentioned in a previous post about the lenth of a shirt sleeve.

2 Shortening sleeves is one of the easiest thing tailors do so it shouldn't cost much.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 AM

With reguards to the shirt debate. On a limited buget you are better off buying a high quality pair of shoes than a high quality shirt. I think you should save the money on a Thomas Pink shirt and upgrade to a pair of Santoni's
Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With reguards to the shirt debate. On a limited buget you are better off buying a high quality pair of shoes than a high quality shirt. I think you should save the money on a Thomas Pink shirt and upgrade to a pair of Santoni's

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like a silly statement, considering that you can't wear a pair of shoes on your back. But if what you're saying is that it's more important to have one excellent pair of shoes than one nice shirt, then I would agree.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like a silly statement, considering that you can't wear a pair of shoes on your back. But if what you're saying is that it's more important to have one excellent pair of shoes than one nice shirt, then I would agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that's what I'm saying. Give me credit for a modicum of intelligence.