Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Which Book Should I Write Next?

"50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING" is the one I would buy. But I have dissected ToP, Advanced HE, and self-deduced much of NLHE T&P (documented on another forum); so I am not the typical market.

"SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER" is one that is needed. If you look in this book review section of another forum, you'll find comments on ToP, your excellent books and a poll "Harrington v Sklanksy".

Note how noob HE players, don't want to bother thinking for even 3 mins about 7Stud. Even bright ppl seem to have trouble grokking the fullness of ToP, and applying it.

If I were a Pro player, I'd be pleading with you to stop publishing!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Hey David.. from like all of your posts I get the feeling that you feel that you are a great mathematician. And while I dont doubt that you are, is there anywhere I can go to actually see that youre good at math. For all I know youre just like all the computer geeks who know how to act like geniuses but who are really just pretend... (i dont think this is the case with you)

On the "Free Will" post, you suggest that it is possible to give a proof that free will exists. This sounded kinda stupid to me... Sounded like you just wanted to sound smart but actually didnt know what the hell you were talking about. I wish you would take the time to do a rigorous proof that free will exists or doesnt. If you could do that I think you would probably win the noble prize and solve that question that every man in the history of mankind has had. Please DAvid help solve this puzzle for the rest of us lol ..

jk im an idiot. i like to make fun of 5th graders for the kind of pants theyre wearing and I never even graduated from grade school.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-15-2007, 01:13 AM

David, which one of your books was your best seller and feel was most productive to the reader.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:10 AM

I can't decide but I can narrow it down for you... one of the middle two.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER" is one that is needed. If you look in this book review section of another forum, you'll find comments on ToP, your excellent books and a poll "Harrington v Sklanksy".

Note how noob HE players, don't want to bother thinking for even 3 mins about 7Stud. Even bright ppl seem to have trouble grokking the fullness of ToP, and applying it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I didn't see how to edit that, and forgot the URL originally, here goes : Harrington HE v Sklansky Book Thread

There's reviews of ToP, and some 'enduser' reaction around, but some of it is scattered a little, as often it's newcomers who ask if they should buy ToP.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 PM

I know that this is not one of the options, but I wish you'd re-write your Tournament Poker for Advanced Players to cover strictly Hold-em, for both Limit and No-Limit. No more 7-card stud examples. I think the world would find that extremely useful. To be honest, I've read it a few times, and the only thing I remember from it was "The System".

Other than that, I'd go with the Algebra for 10-year olds.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:42 PM

I think given your "best for the world criteria" the choose is obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm torn between four choices:

ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS (And those who think like them).

I am close to being the best Algebra teacher in the world. Trust me on this. The reason probably stems from the fact that my father taught me the subject when I was seven. So even though I turned out to be talented at math, my brain remembers what it was like to struggle with the subject as well as the techniques my father used to overcome hurdles. All Algebra books that I have seen, after an initial easy portion, go on to teach later portions with the assumption that the begining stuff was mastered. Both the techniques and the nomenclature. My book wouldn't do that even though it is "undignified". But it would get mathematically untalented people through their first year algebra class, in a way that nothing else ever has. (The book would probably also contain some basic probability.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Best of Luck
Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER"

Just as I can teach Algebra to beginners in a simple manner, so too can I teach the somewhat complex principles of the Theory of Poker. In the past there would have been little demand for a simplified version of my book because it was rare that beginning players would have had an interest. Nowadays that isn't true given poker's emergence on the world stage. Thus there would be a far greater audience for a "cliff notes" version of TOP. Throw in also those many NON beginners whose academic credentials are such that they would appreciate an easier version before tackling the real thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like the best money maker.

I would strip out at least half the concepts from TOP, change all of the examples to hold em, and call the new book The Theory of Hold Em. I would aim for a price half that of TOP a page count to match.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:59 AM

<u>WHAT POKER TEACHES US</u>

I think you would be uniquely talented to write a better book on this topic than anyone else. Hence, you should write this first just in case you get hit by a truck.

<u>ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS </u>

Though I can't imagine you struggling with any concept even at the age of seven for more than 2 minutes at the hands of your father's great teaching; the average student suffers from the inability to forgo repetition (if I correctly recollect and infer from the standard hellish public school curriculum sans enrichment) and on a separate basis, the average teacher may not be capable of maximizing your text's value unless you take great pains to outline protocols. Have you considered these factors before writing it? Besides the political/bureaucratic obstacles already mentioned, I'd save this for last.

MAKE CERTAIN YOU PROVIDE GUIDELINES FOR WHAT TO TEACH BRIGHT STUDENTS ONCE THEY'VE MASTERED SPECIFIC CONCEPTS, THIS WAY WE CAN GET MORE KIDS TO LEARN NUMBER THEORY AND OTHER FUN STUFF WHILE THEY'RE STILL 7 YEARS OLD IF BRIGHT ENOUGH, NO JOKE! THIS WOULD SET EDUCATORS STRAIGHT. USE FLOW CHARTS AND SUGGESTIONS. BACK IT UP WITH DATA AND THEORY. NO SOUL SHOULD EVER HAVE TO SUFFER THE GULAG OF IDIOCY, NORMALCY AND MEDIOCRITY AGAIN.

<u>50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING</u>

As I had said in an earlier series of posts, at least from the perspective of tournament play, you'd have to embrace the concept of EV being a function of a series of hands played in a specific player population dynamic in contradistinction to an absolute in isolation.

Synthesize something beyond what you've been accustomed to to make this a truly satisfying accomplishment in your own judgment.

Also, after just listening to Negreanu (WPT Season 2 DVD commentary) recounting Gus Hansen's claim that "I could write you a poker book that thoroughly and completely states the very opposite of what an accepted tome espouses and it would be more correct than the original text!" I would suspect that there are cases where the clear answer is only valid within the narrow context you typically delve into.

Refer to your own comment about your book with Miller being incorrect for $200/400 cash games and up...

In any event, I know I would love to read what you'd have to say, and I'd thoroughly enjoy this first iteration treatment of poker hands.

However, since poker theory is advancing fairly rapidly, it makes sense to write this third or fourth.

<u>A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER"</u>

An amplification makes more sense than a 'simple guide.'

I can't tell which would make you the most money, any guidelines or nonobvious suggestions as to how we can calculate that?

Best of luck (not that you believe in that) on your ventures.